Country

Sweden

Device

iPhone 13

Operating System

iOS 16.1

My Question or Issue

There is an error with the app in iOS.

As soon as ypu open the Spotify app it mutes other streaming audio sources.

So if I am listening to radio in another app and want to go in to Spotify and just add a song to a playlist, it will directly close audio from my radio app. Same with all apps playing audio, they will all be killed as soon as I start Spotify. And even if I do not play anything in Spotify it mutes all audio, so I hear silence. 

No other music app I have does this.

Please fix so it does not kill other audio apps playing / streaming audio when you just open Spotify.

You may want to just open the app and add a song etc without playing from Spotify at that time.

It should only take over as audio source when you press play on something in Spotify, like other audio apps behave.

Thank you.

50 Replies

I also have this. It is frustrating to the point that I am moving my playlists to another streaming service, with the view to switching to Apple Music...

I listen to other radio apps a lot to find new music, and then add to Spotify playlists. The new behaviour of the app makes that way of me listening and discovering the thing that brings me joy in life, very painful.

This has been an issue for months now, and your tech team seemingly don’t want to address it.

It is very clearly a bug/change in behaviour, that lots of users have reported they don’t like.

Shame. Apps literally die because of nonsense like this. It’s less joyous to use, has become a pain point I now associate with your brand.

Do better.

Having the same issue in yhe latest version on Android Galaxy Flip as well. Have been a longtime member and this is a major issue.

If this isn't resolved soon I suggest we start voting with our dollars and opening posts to request other premium members  check for the issue and cancel memberships if the issue isn't resolved.  Companies tend to react better when the bottom line is affected. 

Oh, I left Spotify months ago and live on Youtube Premium these days. I
miss my playlists, but not enough to open my account back up.

This appears to be resolved for me with the latest update. The “Explore your genres” section of the Search tab no longer auto-plays, I thought that may have been the root cause!

Spotify app ver 8.8.78.670

iOS 16.7

Sadly this is still an issue. My earlier experience was with Low Data mode enabled which affects audio quality.

Get it sorted Spotify!!

Still having the same issue in Feb 2024! Paused Apple Podcasts when opening Spotify. I tried to restart the audio and then it paused again when I went back to the Spotify app. 

Having the same issue and I’m reporting it to Apple. Hopefully they can force Spotify’s hand, they shouldn’t let Spotify control other apps on my device like this. 

I’m also having this problem (on iOS) and it’s immensely frustrating. I’ve tried all the fixes suggested earlier, to no avail. I think it requires action on the dev’s side. Given the low priority this seems to have at Spotify, also considering switching to Apple Music now. 

Ohh since writing this, I've decided to just get a YouTube Premium account
and I rarely, if ever, miss Spotify. Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like

SPOTIFY FIX THIS NOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW

I experienced this same problem sometime last year and they disabled the video playback on the Explore Your Genres section for my account after raising the issue here in the support forums and submitting the issue to Apple (as it was affecting other Apple app playback on my device). Unfortunately it seems that the auto-play has returned and Spotify is once again pausing all other app media playback when I open the search page (app version 8.9.36.597). This behavior feels malicious on Spotify's part.

Suggested posts