Why does Spotify App take up so much space on iPhone?

Solved!

Why does Spotify App take up so much space on iPhone?

mattrendell27
Casual Listener

I tried to download the new iOS 8 only to find out my iPhone doesn't have enough capacity to download it.  I checked my usage settings and it turns out the Spotify App is taking up 4.7 GB of space on my iPhone (exactly the amount of free space I need to download iOS 8).  I went to one of the biggest playlists I'm following in Spotify (543 songs) and clicked "unfollow this playlist" and it only reduced it from 5.0 GB to 4.7 GB.  I'm only following three other playlists with around 300 songs each.  Is there something else I have to do to reduce the amount of space the app is taking up? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Why does Spotify App take up so much space on iPhone?

Hey all,

Dropping by to give you some further info about Spotify Storage.

Spotify uses your device’s available memory to:

• Store temporary, or snippets of, music for streaming (i.e. as cache). This means that when you press play, you hear the music immediately with few interruptions.
  • Store downloaded music if you listen offline (Premium only).

To free up some space or fix common issues, you can clear your cache or manage where your downloads are stored.

How to clear cache on desktop:

1. Click in the top-right corner of the desktop app and select Settings.
  2. Scroll down and click SHOW ADVANCED SETTINGS.
  3. Scroll down to Offline songs storage to see where your cache is stored.
    Tip: Click CHANGE LOCATION to store your cache somewhere else.
  4. Go to that folder on your computer.
  5. Select and delete all the files in that folder.

How to clear cache on iPhone:

Note: After clearing the app’s cache, you’re logged out, and your login details are cleared. You’ll need to resync any offline music, and reselect your preferred settings after logging back in.

On iPhone, Spotify saves downloaded music in an encrypted form on your device’s storage. If you need more room for a new download, iOS automatically frees up space by deleting any unused stored data. If no more stored data can be deleted, you need to free up space by manually removing downloaded tracks.

Clear cache on Android:

Note: After clearing the app’s cache, you’re logged out, and your login details are cleared. You’ll need to resync any offline music, and reselect your preferred settings after logging back in.

1. Tap Home.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Scroll to Storage, and select Delete cache.
  4. Tap Delete cache.

Further info about Android devices.

If your Android device has an external SD card, you can download Spotify music to it, instead of the device's internal memory.

Tip: Make sure your SD card has at least 1GB free space. The storage option only appears if your SD Card is available and accessible.

1. Tap Home.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Tap Other, then Storage.
  4. Select where you want to save your downloaded music.
  5. Tap OK. The transfer takes a few minutes, depending on the size of your library. You can still listen to Spotify as normal during the transfer. Spotify restarts afterwards.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

GuidoModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

View solution in original post

38 Replies

user-removed
Not applicable

Having same issue

anything?

Baroninkjet
Roadie

I would imagine it is music you have downloaded for offline availability.

mattrendell27
Casual Listener

Yeah, it turns out just swiping the button to make any playlists you have unavailable offline doesn't accordingly free up any space on your phone (or at least not a proportional amount of space).  But what I did was just delete the Spotify App from your phone and doing that turns off the "available offline" function for any playlists you had that turned on for.  And it actually reduces the amount of space the Spotify App takes up on your phone proportionately.  And then just re-install the App and it will remember the playlists you had before they just won't be set to available offline anymore. Problem solved!

Luiza2009

To reduce space, I swiped the playlists I did not care to have online to be offline. However, since it didn`t seem to reduce space, I turned the iphone off, and back on again, and woops, the storage was reduced. So ie, no need to delete the app and reinstall it again.

robined
Casual Listener
Having the same problem on my iPad. Tried Luiza2009's suggestion but doesn't seem to have any effect on storage reduction. Tempted to go for the previous suggestion of deleting app. Can anyone else confirm that deleting app and then re-installing it will not mean I lose all my playlists?

enfilade

Deleting and re-installing the app doesn't delete your playlists - they're stored in the cloud.  But it's a bit of a pain as you then need to go through and tell it again which ones you want to have available offline, and fill in all your preferences again.

This is a really annoying issue and I hope they sort it out soon.  If you have stopped storing music on your iPhone, it should give you the space back.  Turning the phone off didn't solve it for me - I had to reinstall the app.

harnden62
Casual Listener
This really needs a fix. Even with all offline setting off, Spotify is a cache hog.

robined
Casual Listener
Thanks to enfilade. I did delete the app and reinstall it and this worked fine but agree with harnden62 that a fix would be good. Otherwise will have to do the same thing again every few months.

Dirkvnh
Using a 64GB model will also fix this problem.
SUGGESTED POSTS