Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why doesn't the Ipad have the same songs as desktop version

Why doesn't the Ipad have the same songs as desktop version

Hello,

First off, love the service, still new to it so learning the ropes. I was noticing something and just wanted to ask. I noticed some of the songs are missing from Ipad preinum version, but they are on the desktop version for windows. Why is the Ipad version missing many of those songs?

13 Replies

It should be exactly the same catalogue, although it might encounter some confusion with linked tracks. Could you give me a couple of examples?
Airhorn Enthusiast

Hey David,

I'mat work right now and don't have access to the desktop version, but I will find this info for you tonight.  I've noticed this a lot actually within the actually albums. I'll get you some specific examples and post them here for you tonight. Thanks for you help David. Your awesome 🙂

Josh

Why thank you! We're here to try and help out. 

If you're work, that might pose actually pose something else interesting. According to your account, you're based in the US - Is that correct? It seems that you might actually be running through a proxy server at work - Is this the case? If this proxy is based in another country, your catalogue might be different, if your iPad is connected to that network. 

Airhorn Enthusiast

Hi David,

I am in the US, but the incident with the songs appearing on the desktop version and not appearing on the ipad is when I'm at my personal house. I have never experienced a problem with work and that is only because I have never installed the desktop version here at work so I have no way to compare. I'll check this out too by comparing the songs for the album on my ipad connected to work and compare it to my desktop version. So I'll look into that as well and report back.

My office is just a normal house I work out of with a normal computer and wifi router. I'm with Mediacom cable.

Its at my personal home where I first noticed the issue.  I don't have any special setups or anything. As I mentioned I'm going to lunch in a few and will see if I can find a few of the examples. THanks though for letting me know about the Proxy issue. I don't think that is a issue here, but who knows lol. Either way its good info to know. I'll report back soon/ Thanks David!

Darn, I wish I wrote these albums down earlier haha. Time to throw my detective hat out and do this hard job of listening to music 😉

You can check the proxy by taking a look at what comes up when you search your IP address. If it's a totally different country then that's a fair guess that you might be going through a proxy. Check at a place like here - http://www.geoiptool.com/

Although devices on the same network should bring up the same search results.... we be able to take a bit of a closer look with a couple of examples.
Airhorn Enthusiast

David,

Are you sure what you are saying is correct?

If you have a premium subscription and you travel abroad or use a proxy which makes it look like you're in another country, you don't get the catalogue for the country where Spotify thinks you are, you get the catalogue for the country where your subscription is.

So in exiledone1's case he/she (sorry, hard to tell from your username) would get the USA catalogue regardless of where he/she is in the world or where Spotify thinks he/she is due to the use of a proxy.

Is that not right, or have I missed something?

That's true. Although every once in a while proxy's can throw up missing results, as opposed to travelling to another country. It might even just be a connection issue as a result to a proxy. But we've seen stranger cases, like the tale of a man who could listen to a Queen track at home but not at work, some 20 miles up the road.
Airhorn Enthusiast

Well if that's true then it means that Spotify's current geo-location system is not fit for purpose and any content could disappear at any time due to a combination of licensing restrictions and Spotify incorrectly calculating your current location.

Then it's more like a connection issue as a result to the Proxy, rather than Geo-Location results. 

Airhorn Enthusiast

Hi there,

I have to re-use this thread just to say that it's happening exactly the same to me: at home, without proxy, with the same wifi connection, the iPad catalogue is much smaller than the desktop tool. Just an example:

Charles Lloyd, The water is wide : I can listen to it in the laptop, but I get a "not available" message on the iPad.

Btw, I'm premium subscriber from Spain.

Regards,

Castorp.

Hey Castorp,

That's most likely due to that you've got the track "The water is wide" on your computer locally, and haven't synced it to your iPad. Please read more about local files here: http://www.spotify.com/se/help/guides/local-files/

If this is not the issue here, let me know and I'll investigate further 🙂

Hi,

Thanks,for the answer.

No, I don't have local files at all in Spotify, and I haven't even synchronized that album for offline listening... Moreover, I have many other examples.

It might be that my ipad is recognized as if it were in a different country... but I use the same wifi connection and no proxy. I have also reinstalled the app, without results...

Best regards

Castorp.

I am experience this issue from my house... no proxies.

My roommate and I are both Spotify Premium subscribers.  He was in his room listening to a new Arcade Fire album (Reflektor) on his laptop.  He came into the living room and wanted to pull up the album on my iPad.  Upon searching, the album doesn't appear on the ipad while the laptop in the next room shows the abum in the search results.  When searching for an individual song, all of the songs from the album appeared.  When "expanding" that song to full screen, the album artwork appears and everything.  We just don't see the album in the search results on the ipad.

And for some context, I am a developer and build applications and read code all day.  Please spare me the "are both devices on the same network" comments 😉  Thx.

~Ryan

Suggested posts