Premium

Country

USA

Device

iphone x, google pixel 4a5g

Operating System

windows 10, ios 15.6, android 12

My Question or Issue

I've been using local files for a few years now and usually I can figure out how to get files to sync to my phones via wifi myself, but all of a sudden it just won't work anymore. I am on the correct network, I have local files enabled on my pixel and iphone. Usually renaming files/folders or moving folders/files around fixes it but everything that used to work in the past stopped working today. I synced a song over wifi yesterday.

I've tried literally everything and I have read thru tons of troubleshooting threads. I know people say "I tried everything" and then they miss something silly so I'm hoping I'm not that person today. I see that the local files process got changed and you're supposed to have the files present on your iphone (i didnt see anything for android though) and that did work, but it seems like a ton of extra steps and it basically is like having an ipod again. I don't understand why they would make the process more complicated.

I'm only asking because I was able to sync local files a day ago and my friend was able to sync local files on his iphone yesterday, too. Being able to sync over networks would be so much more convenient and quicker.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

This might be the stupidest change you guys could have made. Local files was already barely functional but now you've made its entire function entirely useless. If i have to physically put my local files onto my phone for them to show up in spotify I'll just use Apple music, thank you very much. Even worse is you guys had a working system for years but for some reason decided to downgrade it? 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

I also got a song to sync about 3 hours ago but it stopped working after that song

Hey @Persephone1,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Recently we've had a rework on how exactly the Local Files feature works.

A sync of the local files over the network is currently not possible anymore. The files should be physically present on your device in order for them to be discoverable by the app. You can find the exact steps on how to do that on this page.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Marked as solution

This might be the stupidest change you guys could have made. Local files was already barely functional but now you've made its entire function entirely useless. If i have to physically put my local files onto my phone for them to show up in spotify I'll just use Apple music, thank you very much. Even worse is you guys had a working system for years but for some reason decided to downgrade it? 

exactly what i was thinking LOL theyve just made it harder over the years it really makes no sense

Spotify is nearing a precipice, that I fear it believes it is too big too fall down. It's been getting away with greater and greater anti-musician behavior, but small anti-consumer feature changes like this are eating away at what little good will it had. It's inevitable when the decision making process is so far removed. Product managers that cannot see the value in that which is hard to quantify. Your Mojo is used up and without a sincere course change in attitude it WILL falter.

In the small chance that the right people see this. Connect / and Connect's ubiquity is your last magic sauce. Build off it, steer away from ads, make a real change toward being more open ( developmental / interoperability / accessibility / democratic ) . Don't force people back to the high seas.

Suggested posts