Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iOS app in french, cant change

Solved!

iOS app in french, cant change

Ive recently been to French Polynesia, where my Spotify app suddenly decided that my new language of choice was french. I was able to survive it until the end of my vacation, as i assumed the language was changed due to my current location. But now i've been in Norway for about a week, and the language in my Spotify app hasn't changed back to english yet.

I've tried restarting my iPhone, logging out and in again, reinstalling the app, changing the language on Spotifys website, changing it in the mac app and turning location services off and on. I just can't come up with any solutions, does anyone have a proposition on how I can possibly change this? 🙂

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Most mobile apps get the language get the language from the currently set locale.

It could be that an app is causing the change, however I doubt this is possible on iOS.

Ensure everything is correct in your settings, and that the correct country and language is set in all accounts. Also, try a factory reset.

Liam

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I had the same problem and the solution is very simple. Go to settings general international language. These apps will chose the first international language on this list that they support. So your first international language is Norwegian (the selected one) that is not supported on Spotify iOS, and the next language on the list should be French and the third one English. That is why it is choosing French as the Spotify language. What you need to do is switch the order of French and English language. To do that chose English as your iPhone language, then change back to Norwegian and this way English is now your second language on the list. Now open Spotify and enjoy it in English! Glad to share this with the community 🙂

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Great chance to polish up your french 🙂 Isn't there a language option in the spotify app settings on iOS?

I can't see any setting in the app for language, I always assumed it used the language setting in Settings > General > International > Language and Region Format. 

Are they both set correctly? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@jwylot: Haha, indeed! I've neither found an option for language in the app settings. 🙂

@Peter: Yes, sadly they are both set correctly, so it must be something else. If it matters, i seem to have these issues with some other apps on my iPhone. Aditionally im running iOS 7 beta 5, so it may possibly be a bug.

Also worth checking (not sure how you do it) your country is set correctly in the App Store? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Yeah, checked that too 🙂
Marked as solution

Most mobile apps get the language get the language from the currently set locale.

It could be that an app is causing the change, however I doubt this is possible on iOS.

Ensure everything is correct in your settings, and that the correct country and language is set in all accounts. Also, try a factory reset.

Liam

The settings are correctly set as far as i've checked. I will try a factory resert and see how that works out 🙂

Thanks

Long shot, but I wonder if perhaps your carrier settings got changed to something French while you were abroad. Is it possible to reset or refresh your phone's carrier settings?

Community Ergo Sum
Marked as solution

I had the same problem and the solution is very simple. Go to settings general international language. These apps will chose the first international language on this list that they support. So your first international language is Norwegian (the selected one) that is not supported on Spotify iOS, and the next language on the list should be French and the third one English. That is why it is choosing French as the Spotify language. What you need to do is switch the order of French and English language. To do that chose English as your iPhone language, then change back to Norwegian and this way English is now your second language on the list. Now open Spotify and enjoy it in English! Glad to share this with the community 🙂

I just tried the suggestion as outlined by @Mmmpires and can by that reproduce op's dilemma. Hopefully, this is the solution.
Great job @Mmmpires !
☆✩✪ Want to help out? Become a Spotify Rock Star today! ✪✩☆
Jag svarar på svenska via pm eller via twitter

Binaural track - listen with headphones with good volume!

Oh my god. Half of the apps on my phone has been in french for a year now, finally i can **bleep**ing use my apps. Thank you so much!

https://support.spotify.com/uk/learn-more/faq/#!/article/How-can-I-change-my-country-setting 

Follow these instructions I had the same problem but now it is all changed and works fine. The question that spotify answered is called " how can i change my country settings"

@Tord wrote:

Ive recently been to French Polynesia, where my Spotify app suddenly decided that my new language of choice was french. I was able to survive it until the end of my vacation, as i assumed the language was changed due to my current location. But now i've been in Norway for about a week, and the language in my Spotify app hasn't changed back to english yet.

I've tried restarting my iPhone, logging out and in again, reinstalling the app, changing the language on Spotifys website, changing it in the mac app and turning location services off and on. I just can't come up with any solutions, does anyone have a proposition on how I can possibly change this? 🙂

Suggested posts