Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iOS iPhone extra storage for offline playback SD card or wireless hard drive

iOS iPhone extra storage for offline playback SD card or wireless hard drive

I have seen for Android a well loved solution for ensuring your offline playlists are stored on the SD card. Where is a comparable solution for iOS devices?

For my iPhone 5 I was really hoping the new RavPower filehub I bought would work with Spotify. In fact, I even upgraded from Unlimted to Premium so I could save my playlists offline for an upcoming international trip, but it seems this is not an available option. The available storage space on my iPhone is precious, and not enough to store thousands of songs when I need to be offline. So I bought the filehub which creates a local wifi network that your phone sees (i.e. when on a plane) thereby giving you access to all of the content on the SD card it contains. Unfortuntely when using the Spotify mobile app, there is only one place an 'offline playlist' can go, and that is ON my phone, which quickly gets filled up. 

It would be a great integration for Spotify to work with some of the popular devices that let you expand your storage onto an SD card with an iOS device. Airstash is another example of such a device. I can certainly put these files on my laptop for offline listening, but being plugged into a laptop for only music is kind of inconvenient.

If anyone knows how to cobble together a solution for storing offline playlists on an SD card and listening from my iPhone I would love to hear it!

5 Replies

Unfortunately there isn't a way to do it that I know off. You might want to suggest integration for the future of Spotify over on the Ideas Exchange:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/idb-p/ideaexchange

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

That device acts like an external drive with a built-in DLNA server froom what I read. Low level access would probably have to be built into iOS before apps could get at files directly.

The iOS ecosystem is extremely locked down, but with the announcement of new APIs for iOS devices, there might be something available soon.
Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

NOT SURE OF THIS BUT IF i can use wireless hard drive to play music mp3s and vids to my iphone now without hard ware update if spotify put software to let you save tracks lists or what ever to a dir on any net work on your iphone why would that not work.

i cant see it would take much to be able to save to a personal wireless hard drive.

I have all my music files mp3s saved on usb flash card and sd card pluged into my battey wireless drive, on my iphone it find the drive in wifi settings i connect to that, and run app that then conects to myhome wifi bridged, and with the app i can play my mp3s video, photos read txt docs all from my drive, if you can aford the memeoy you can have 2TB of storage, oh and from the usb you can plug in a usb hard drive.

it will do a lot more, but my point is could spotify add software to save to a wife address and save to a hd, sd card, or flash card.

I Spoke to Kingston and Sandisk, via emails and both said almost the same thing, which was very disharting both said that they are not working on or looking into being able to run apple apps from the drive, save to it from Spotify.
May be some really cleaver person will find away, before apple give in and give us card slot and replaceable battery .HA HA Now who's dreaming well i can dream

Suggested posts