Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPhone app keeps crashing!!!

Solved!

iPhone app keeps crashing!!!

Just upgraded to Premium and my iPhone app keeps crashing, the minute I log in it's gone. Tried deleting, reinstalling, deleting all my playlists- nothing works!

Very frustrated and wondering what I can do. Recently upgraded to Premium and now even more frustrated as it's worse than when I was using the free version.

COme on spotify!

298 Replies

That doesn't work for me unfortunately.

Rdio is now available in the uk on the app store and I'm currently trialling this. The music catalogue seems to be similar to spotify and the app appears to be fairly user friendly (and it's not crashing!)

It does cost slightly more than spotify but I can live with that for a stable app.

Think I will be shortly cancelling my spotify subscription.
Marked as solution

I just thought I would post to say that for me the update seems to have(for now at least) stopped the frequent crashing of the app. I will do some more extended listening this weekend but had it playing for nearly an hour yesterday and no crashes. Before the update the app used to crash when adding tracks to play queue. It doesn't now. Also app seems to be running a bit more smoothly on the whole.

I've had a similar problem for the past couple weeks - Spotify would crash a couple minutes into a song. It rarely stayed running for longer than a couple minutes at a time. I recently turned off screen-lock and the problem seemed to immediately disappear. I was going to cancel my premium subscription today, as the app had become nearly unusable, but now it looks like I can continue using a program I love! Hooray! (p.s. - now that I think about it, the crashes happened about when screen lock would normally engage, so this seems likely to be the issue.)

a complete pain in the arse. c'mon spotify???!!! we love youSmiley Sad

Well, I thought I was going mad until I read about the crashing problem on this forum.  My issues with the app began about the same time as everyone else's, but it seems to me that not enough people are closing down there accounts cos Spotify obviously don't give a sh...  Or, is it that Spotify customers are mainly 4 owners, leaving us poor 3-community out in the cold? The few 4-friends I have, using the service, report no such issues.

Marked as solution

I was experiencing the same problems as others on this forum until I downloaded the latest update from itunes. I have a 32GB iphone 3GS and since the update I haven't experienced the frequent crashing of the mobile app that was occurring prior to the update. I have been using the mobile app far more frequently since the update and for longer periods and I have (touch wood!) only had 1 random crash at the weekend.

I am assuming that those still experiencing crashes have downloaded the latest Spotify mobile app update? Are they completely random crashes or do they always happen just after you have performed a specific function. E.g. the app used to almost always crash when I added a track to the play queue, but it would also crash completely randomly as well. I'm not sure whether this is a memory problem as there have been recorded problems with the app consuming large amounts of space on the phone's hard drive due to the cache. What version of the ios do you have installed on your iphone? I am running 5.0; haven't updated to latest ios yet, but as I have said, touch wood, app isn't crashing any more for me. I was on the verge of cancelling my premium subscription until the latest update was released and so can completely understand everyone's frustrations.

It does only seem to be affecting iPhone\ipod 3's now (my iPhone 4 is fine but iPod is affected). I initially downloaded the new version and it still crashed. However, since the last iOS update last week and a complete re-set and restore of my iPod it's been relatively stable. I've used it for a quite a few hours and it's only crashed once, so appears to be a lot better than it was. I did actually cancel my spotify subscription last week and sign up to rdio but after comparing the sound quality spotify appears to be much better so ended up re-activating my spotify account 🙂

For me the same! No crashes anymore after 0.5.0 version. Indeed on a 3GS 32GB iPhone with iOS 5.1.1

Same problem here. I have iPhone 3G so I have to run the iOS 4 version. And like others here, I'll have to cancel the Spotify subscription if I can't use the app. 😞

Hi David,

I too am having issues with my Spotify App crashing on my Iphone 3G.  I followed the recommended fixes but stil no beuno.

I was about to cancel my upgraded subscription because it is really a waste for me to spend money on something that rarely works.  I would keep my subscription if the issue can be fixed.  I deleted the app and downloaded the only other one available for my phone IOS4.  It played a few songs then started to skip, then crashed.  This is really a frustrating issue as it's been going on for several months.  Not sure what the problem is.

Also, I do not understand what it means on Spotify when you mark a playlist as available offline.  To me that would make me think that you do not have to connect to Spotify to listen to the playlist, much like having your itunes songs on your ipod, but that still makes no difference.  It still crashes as if it's connecting to Spotify online.  If you can explain what that means I would be greatly appreciative.  

Thanks,

Heath

Has anyone had any resolution to this problem?  I have the same issue and use this app for teaching fitness!  It's a big issue when it crashes, so I tried using my computer instead and then it said the songs weren't available offline even though I made sure to click on "available offline" on all my playlists.  Now, I ended up re-synching (unclicking and then re-clicking available offline) and it seems to help for now.  But, I can't ever depend on my IPhone app to not crash, even though I pay $9.99 a month!  It's even completely logs me out and I have to log back in, it's a little difficult to do that when the studio I'm in doesn't have wireless to log back in through facebook......very frustrating!!! 

Please let me know if anyone's resolved this issue at Spotify.....Thanks!!

Just as a matter of interest, are you using an iPhone 3 or 4?

Unfortunately Spotify seems to ignore this problem so I've had to cancel the subscription.

It's a real shame that the issue doesn't event warrant an answer.

Very disappointing.

A worthy adversary that DOESN'T crash and works perfectly on the iPhone is Rdio.

It keeps crashing on my 3G. Fix it. Now! I demand it. So sad.

I'll try Rdio instead, thank you for the recommendation.

And it crashed again. Two times in less than 20 minutes.

I have exactly the same problem. Within fifteen minutes (at least), it will crash. I've found that this can be avoided by going into Aeroplane mode on the device, or simply switching off the wifi. It seems like it always crashes when it disconnects from a wifi and when alternative sources pop up - highly annoying when I'm driving to work on my bike! I've found that if I can get past 25 minutes of play offline (on the iPod, Spotify is often offline for no reason), then it will usually not crash.
But yeah, this is a really annoying problem, and doesn't appear to have any real solution.  

The following solution that I posted a few weeks ago is still working for me. I haven't had a single crash since I started using it. And it turns out it isn't really that bad on the battery.

"I believe I have found a solution to this problem. The iphone app was consistently crashing on me after 30-45 minutes of use. On a whim, I decided to try turning auto-lock off, forcing the screen to remain on while the app played. I have had zero crashes since doing this, after several hours of playback. Obviously, this is not an ideal solution, since it drains the battery very quickly, but it's a decent workaround until they release a real fix."

Any luck?  Pls update.

Suggested posts