Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

local files from pc greyed out for playback on iphone. local files list on iphone empty

local files from pc greyed out for playback on iphone. local files list on iphone empty

WIn 7, Iphone 4s. Spotify Premium

With the newest version of Spotify I can finally control some music on my iphone from my computer. However, most local files won't play on the iphone from the computer. They are simply greyed out in the artist and album field. These files will play on the computer.

Also, the local files list on my iphone is empty. 

Can someone please help me with this?

One last thing: Where dafuq did the apps and my devices go? I can understand why my father is having a hard time keeping up with technology when the one application he loves is constantly changing with features disappearing as soon as you've started appreciating them.

spotifylocalfiles_pc.PNG
10 Replies

I am having the exact same problem, any solutions?

Try reinstalling the iPhone app and then resyncing all the songs. This might fix the problem.

Also:

Devices section:

The devices section will be coming back in a future update.

In the meantime:
You won't be able to see an indication in the desktop client that the device is paired with the desktop client. But as long as they both are on the same WiFi network you should be able to trigger the local files sync by toggling the offline toggle on the playlist on your device.

Apps section:

Apps have been discontinued.

Staff Statement: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Desktop-Update-Version-1-0-1/td-p/105026...

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Ditto. Uninstalled and re-installed across PC and iPhone. Took list online/offline. "Reset all devices" in web UI for account management.

Nothing.

All songs show up, but can't sync any songs from local. (MP3s) Tons of space left on phone.  Doesn't even work when connected via USB.

What do the instructions mean by "on the same wi-fi?" In interpreted that as "on the same network," since my desktop PC is actually hard-wired. The two are able to see each other. (I can control which music is playing on the PC using my phone.)

@CoolMusic74 

Local file syncing requires both to be on the same WiFi network. Hard wired is currently not supported by Spotify.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Ohhhh....wacky. It literally meant what it said. OK, good to know.

I guess that the easiest and cheapest thing to do is install a wifi adapter in the PC. (I must admit that I'm struggling to understand why this would be the case....but they are cheap, so I'll try it out.)

Thx

@CoolMusic74 

Yeah, for the desktop app to see your iPhone, I think they can only supprt that over WiFi.

It works like magic though once you start syncing and everything works. 

Note:

The devices section in the desktop app that shows your devices and allows you to start the transfer is not currently in the latest version of the app. It will be coming back in a future update.

In the meantime:

You won't be able to see an indication in the desktop client that the device is paired with the desktop client. But as long as they both are on the same WiFi network you should be able to trigger the local files sync by toggling the offline toggle on the playlist on your device.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Sigh. Wifi installed and connected to the same network. No dice.

They are both on the same wifi network (I have confirmed by disconnecting the wired ethernet to make sure all conditions were met.)

I tried toggling online/offline for the playlist in both the desktop and iphone. The phone will sync only the files coming from spotify (no local files). The desktop (obviously) shows availability for all files.

I tried uninstall and re-installing on the phone to see if that helped, but no noticeable impact/change. 

Is there anything else that I can try to see if they device/desktop are "paired?" I had assumed that the music control feature (controlling from one place to play on the other, like control from the phone to impact what is playing on the desktop) indicated that they were paired, but maybe not?

Any other great ideas on how to troubleshoot?

thx

(sound of user smacking his forehead)

For anyone else who is having trouble: first stop in trouble-shooting is to double-check your firewall settings.

Works great, as promised.

thx

haha

glad to hear it's working now!

MattSudaSpotify Star

Hi—I'm still having this same problem of the greyed out songs that are local files. They play fine on my computer but no bueno on my iphone 5. I've reinstalled both the desktop and iphone apps a few times and I'm definitely on the same wifi network—however, this network is my college's so could that be a problem? I have no firewall set up on my computer connection so that shouldn't be an issue either. 

I have plenty of gigabytes of space on my phone, so that's not it either. I've toggled the offline sync button on both the iphone and computer many times as well.

Help?

Thanks,

Cliff

Suggested posts