Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Available offline" feature disappeared on iPhone

"Available offline" feature disappeared on iPhone

I have a Premium account and it worked fine until a couple of months ago but, after updating the app on my iPhone, the "available offline" button has disappeared. I have tried to reinstall the app but it didn't't help. 

4 Replies

Dear Marcotons.

Immediate thought - you checked the amount of space left on your phone? Spotify user files are, like, pretty big - gigabytes often, holding all your playlists AND MANY TRACKS in encrypted format - if you're running outta space then it might be preventing you from using any more space. It doesn't tell you about that, you kinda think you can go on adding but there is a limit.

If that doesn't work, tell me and I'll tell you plan B!

Chris.

Hi Chris,

thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I've checked and still have 2,5 GB of free space. Also tried on another iPhone, but I have the same problem on both devices. Currently all the songs that were previously available offline can't be played anymore when I'm not connected and can't add any new album for offline listening.

/Marco

Dear Marco.

Hope you get this, am doing it as a reply to yours. It opens my E_mail Desk App when I click on Reply, but I never use that because viruses use it too so I've cut/paste the addy and stuff and hope it works....

Basically - another Genius Moment Bites the Dust!! One of many such in my life - sigh!! Y'see, Spotify stores the offline songs - I'm talking PC's/Windows here, not so clued-up on Applemac - as encrypted files in Temporary Internet Files, you suddenly discover - again in Windows - that your C:/Windows/Temporary Internet Files folder has a weight problem and that's all the encoded Spotify files you've downloaded. If they're still THERE in your I-phone - if the amount of free space hasn't suddenly increased - then it should just be a matter of telling Spotify where they are so it can play them. Mine are all nicely labeled 'Temporary Folder for Now 40'

IF you get this, and I'm putting this exact same reply on the website too, can you do me a favor that'll help us? Tick a couple of new songs to hear off line and see if you get to play those two, but still none of the others. If you CAN, that could well mean a Spotify update, or something, has changed whereabouts the offline files are stored. Which means locating where the two new songs are, making a note of the path, finding where the old songs are - not hard, there'll be one WHACKING great folder amongst your Temporary Internet Files and that'll be it unless you've got anything else doing that trick, but you'll be able to check by the file extensions anyway. On Windows, I'd get the bit after the full-stop on one of the new songs and do a search for everything with that extension (SEARCH: *.whatever. The Asterisk is a wild card, it means 'all files', the full-stop means 'ending with' and the whatever is 'whatever the extension on Macs is' - no point in giving you the PC extension incase it doesn't use the same one.) And again on Windows, the folders are named the same as the playlists.

HOPEFULLY you'll find two search results. Two new playable files in Point A., a ton of non-playable files in Point B, if you move Point B's lot over to where the new playable files are, as they're all in the same location, they should all now play.

If that idea proves as awesomely successful as my first try - i.e. NOT!! - tell me and I'll give you Plan C!

Yours respectfully

Chris.
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2016 09:00:52 +0200
To: ulrichburke@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: "Available offline" feature disappeared on iPhone (The Spotify Community Subscription Update)

Re: "Available offline" feature disappeared on iPhone (The Spotify Community Subscription Update)

Hi ulrichburke,

marcotons (Music Lover) posted a new reply in Help - iOS (iPhone, iPad) on 2016-07-03 08:00 AM:

Re: "Available offline" feature disappeared on iPhone

Hi Chris,

thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I've checked and still have 2,5 GB of free space. Also tried on another iPhone, but I have the same problem on both devices. Currently all the songs that were previously available offline can't be played anymore when I'm not connected and can't add any new album for offline listening.

/Marco

| Accept as Solution
| Give Kudos

The Spotify Community sent this message to ulrichburke@hotmail.com.

You are receiving this email because a new message matches your subscription to a topic.

To control which emails we send you please go to,
manage your subscription & notification settings
or unsubscribe.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Hi Chris,

I really appreciate your help. Actually I still couldn't check your theory because with iPhone is not so immediate to navigate through hidden folder like with Android. However, in the meantime, I've found that the issue is related to my account and not to the phone or the app itself: in fact I've tried accessing Spotify on my iPhone with a friend's Premium account and everything works fine, the "available offline" button is there again. On the other hand, if this friend uses my account on his mobile, he can't see the offline button anymore. I suspect that the issue could depend on the fact that I pay Spotify through my mobile provider and even if the account is shown as Premium on all devices, it works as if it was a Free - but only on mobile devices, since it works fine on desktop. Strange, isn't it? However, thanks again for helping!

/Marco

Suggested posts