Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android Lollipop - Lock Screen Controls Not Available

Solved!

Android Lollipop - Lock Screen Controls Not Available

Hi,

After upgrading to Android Lollipop the lock screen controls are no longer available unless notifications with sensitive information are enabled.  This effects all applications so obviously isn't a preferred option.  Unless this is enabled the lock screen only shows a notification from Spotify and states sensitive information has been hidden (no controls are available).

Can Spotify please advise when a new release with this fix will be available?  This is a major issue for some users as functionality and user experience has significantly diminished.  I'm surprised Spotify hadn't fixed this pre-release of Lollipop as developer previews of Lollipop have been available for months.

Thanks

Tim Douglas

83 Replies

I have reinstalled the app (twice) and I still have the same issue.
Phone: Sony Xperia Z2
Spotify version: 2.4.0.815

@Ibro wrote:
I have reinstalled the app (twice) and I still have the same issue.
Phone: Sony Xperia Z2
Spotify version: 2.4.0.815

Did you reboot the phone after installing the Spotify app? Sometimes the device needs to be rebooted for Android to be able to hook into the widgets.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History
Marked as solution

Problem fixed, new feature where you have to allow the phone to display notifications on lock screen,

Missed that one. 

Hey I was having the same frustration with this and hope they fix it soon but after disabling all other notifications on the lock screen and still seeing the small spotify widget I realized if i touch the lockscreen spotify widget and slide it down like i do to the notifications bar it gets bigger and shows all controls. I know this is still going to be a **bleep** while driving but at least its safer than trying to unlock your phone while driving to replay a song lol.

Settings > Sounds & Notifications > Notification > While Locked > Hide Sensitive Content

Problem solved.

You're welcome!

See full instructions here: http://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/keep-your-sensitive-info-off-the-lock-screen-in-android-1660573644/+er...

Bascially, first you need to change your Sound & Notification setting to show ALL content on notificaitons instead of 'Hide sensitive notification content'. Then you can specify which applications contain sensitive data and by default everything else will be displayed on the lock screen. By default Spotify (along with all your other apps) will not be considered sensitive. You should set your sms app and gmail etc to be sensitive in the Sound & Notiications/App Notifications menu.

Its a bit time consuming but I guess you can turn on the sensitive switch on particular apps as you notice something displaying thats sensitive over time.

So Spotify aren't responsible for this new highly annoying **bleep** then. Kinda makes me, for the first time EVER consider an iPhone next time. I really do not consent with the idea of having to enable several apps to get a single one to work as desired. I'd find it much more intuitive and logical to allow lock-screen access for the apps I want. Who the he** on the Android team managed to NOT think this un-functionality over at least twice before the release of lollipop...

Where are all the ppl.....

None of this works.  HOW IS THIS NOT FIXED?!!! This is a KEY function for Spotify, this app is garbage to use while in the car because of this.

I dont want some **bleep**ty work around, which is what the sound and notifications "fix" is, it doesnt work.

Can we not get an answer from the Spotify people?  I've been patient and i'm about to put my money where my mouth is and cancel the premium sub.

This is an Android issue, not a Spotify issue.  If you haven't noticed, the player controls for Android's default music player do not show on the locked screen either.  However, you have to adjust the controls to show only sensitive content, like what was already said.  The problem was solved.

Screenshot_2015-05-26-06-11-06.png
Marked as solution

Settings > Sounds & Notifications > Notification > While Locked > Hide Sensitive Content

Problem solved.

This 100% works, trust me. If not, then you didn't follow the instructions properly. I know as I've done it myself on my Note 4. If you own a different phone, then the options may differ slightly - but they will be there somewhere, I assure you.

One annoying thing: the skip backwards button is omitted - but this is something you'll just have to live with on account of Android simply not having this lock screen feature (as the person above me has just pointed out. Sorry but don't blame me, blame Google! Pause, play and skip forwards should still be available.

@JaMiNo wrote:

Problem solved.

This 100% works, trust me. If not, then you didn't follow the instructions properly. I know as I've done it myself on my Note 4. If you own a different phone, then the options may differ slightly - but they will be there somewhere, I assure you.

One annoying thing: the skip backwards button is omitted - but this is something you'll just have to live with on account of Android simply not having this lock screen feature (as the person above me has just pointed out. Sorry but don't blame me, blame Google! Pause, play and skip forwards should still be available.

thanks for your input! FYI - You can expand the widget to give you the back button.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Legend Daniel!

Just to clarify, if you swipe down on the lock screen widget this "expands" it and you'll get full options. Nice one.

I still can't get this method working even with the notifications to show all, any bit of help would ne appreciated I have a Galaxy S5 on Android Lolipop.

Try going into Application Notifications and making sure they aren't blocked for Spotify.

Done that and followed every step on here carefully, I have no idea whats wrong.

I want to change the song whilst my screen is locked. I suspect nearly all of the PAYING customers want the same. Fix. The problem. Please.

figured it out guys!!! 

go to settings, apps, then all apps... search for Spotify, make sure you choose "show notifications" and it will show up on your lockscreen! BOOM!!!

figured it out guys!!! 

go to settings, apps, then all apps... search for Spotify, make sure you choose "show notifications" and it will show up on your lockscreen! BOOM!!!

When I use the same spotify account on mine and my friends phone, to be able to control it using spotify remote featue. It so happens it works when he unocks his phone and clicks continoue and not play here, when a message pops up. But when he locks his phone and i check devices (to control) it sats his phone it unavaivable.. but when he opens it again it works again. At first the message shown earlier poped up and he had to do the same. But that no longer happens he just had to unlock the phone and it works back into the same paradox.... can any one please help me fix this? :_

Suggested posts