Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Samsung Galaxy Ace: new version of spotify is not compatible with the device

Solved!

Samsung Galaxy Ace: new version of spotify is not compatible with the device

Hello World,

i got a problem with my ace. Since yesterday, when the new version of spotify was available, my ace won´t install the new one. It says that my device is not compatible for this version of spotify. Will there be a fix or do i have to buy a new cellphone?

181 Replies

And that sums up the Spotify customer experience. Now, I think spreading access to previous apks is dangerous, since Spotify left holes for hackers in those versions, plus it also prevents them from doing the actual work to provide suitable apks for the customers they unceremoniously jettisoned. 

However, Spotify spending the time to delete your message instead of:

A) answering questions about the hack/update they refuse to touch

B) UPDATING THEIR WEBSITE TO WARN POTENTIAL SUBSCRIBERS THEIR SOFTWARE IS USELESS

is unforgivable, and simply part of the Spotify experience. Expect little, get less. 

I'd be so embarrassed to work for Spotify and know I'm contributing to a culture that has such disregard for paying customers. I'm sure they sleep well at night with their possible stock options from an IPO, but on a human level, they have to ask themselves everyday "Why in the world do our customers actually pay to be ignored?" 

They must have such a low opinion of us. Prove me wrong, Spotify! Or just continue what you've been doing for the year I've been on these forums and continue to ignore us and hide behind thoughtless PR babble. 

Lamp

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Add-support-for-Google-ChromeCast/idi-p/482900

Just cancelled my premium account.  Will move over to Google Play music on 04 july.  But still hope Spotify will come up with a solution by than.  This is so stupid from them.   If they make this way of 'service'  their standard policy; within 5 years they will run out of customers. Every client with an 'older' device will leave them and never come back.  Short therm thinking. Idiots.

Hello everyone. Staff here. 

As everyone in this thread seems to be aware, we became aware of some unauthorized access to our systems and launched an investigation. You can read more about this event here.

Due to the extra safety steps we needed to take to ensure the security of our Android app users, we needed to perform an upgrade. This seems to have caused some issues for users on Android armv5 and armv6 devices. My understanding up to this point is that these versions may have been impacted prior to this update. However, in the spirit of giving as positive an experience as possible for armv5 and armv6, we took extra steps to ensure these users remained on a version of Spotify that supported these versions. Yet all that changed when circumstances forced us to perform an upgrade.

We're sorry for the less than ideal experience this causes for those of you on armv5 and armv6 devices. We'll be posting a more in depth update in the coming days to explain the issue further, as armv7 users should not be affected. We hope you'll understand why we needed to take these steps.

[Edited 9.6.2014] 

We're very sorry about the experience many of you have had with Spotify on your Android devices.  We are working hard to bring you guys with older devices back onboard. Keep your eyes on this thread and Google Play for an update. 

Check out my post later on in this thread for more information.

Let me translate the Spotify response for the follwers of this thread

"Due to the extra safety steps we needed to take to ensure the security of our Android app users, we needed to perform an upgrade."

We may have put a security risk on your mobile or we may not

"This seems to have caused some issues for users on Android armv5 and armv6 devices"

Some issues = It don't work anymore at all - we have made it a music playing app that can not play music

" My understanding up to this point is that these versions may have been impacted prior to this update"

Lets cause confusion - they may have been impacted - they may not have been impacted.

By impacted I assume Spotify mean technically there may have been an impact BUT to the people who mean the most (customers) there was no impact before this upgrade.

Obviously we knew there was an issue lurking - but we did nothing assuming that if we said old devices, Spotify customers will believe us and not realise it affects currently sold devices.

"We'll be posting a more in depth update in the coming days to explain the issue further, as armv7 users should not be affected."

Lets stall people for a few more days

Lets deflect a little and tell focus on things that work like armv7

N.B. armv7 users ***SHOULD*** not be affected. Could be loose wording, or a sign of the next users to be clobbered

"We're sorry for the less than ideal experience this causes for those of you on armv5 and armv6 devices."

Less than ideal experience = it don't work anymore after the upgrade

Sorry= we don't care, we have your money for a month for something that does not work, please go and buy a new device

"We hope you'll understand why we needed to take these steps."

We have not given you the in depth update yet - but please be jolly nice people, pretend you understand and let the issue drop.

My son's subscription cancelled.

Pondering mine as..

a. I do not want to be in same situation of investing money month by month building up playlists that could be taken off my device at no notice

b. The same upgrade wiped 12gb of downloaded music off my phone. Can I be bothered manually downloading a few hundred play lists again? 

c. Thinking there is a lot to be said for buying CDs cheap and second hand. That way they are guaranteed to be mine going forward

BTW we never got a response to our initial support request apart from a survey asking how wonderful they are.

Well said, I do not even have galaxy ace, but lg p500, but it does not matter, it will not work on any mobile phone with certain characteristics. Even freaking app store says my device is not supported anymore. So how can they even pretend that "it might cause"..are they making us fools or what? Did they really think that nobody use these devices anymore? 

Well done! I broke down their post in my thread here, as well: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/Device-question-for-moderators/m-p/814835#M29886

Mainly for the same reasons. They seem to have utter contempt for their customers with the way they've handled this. Either they're not smart enough to realize what a horrible response they've had, or they think we're not smart enough to deserve a real response. 

Everyone, feel free to use my signature. You can link whatever thread you think best represents the idea. When they don't ignore you, they treat you like a child, or use obfuscating language to hide the truth. Enough is enough. We demand better. 

Lamp

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Add-support-for-Google-ChromeCast/idi-p/482900

Description

When I enter the Spotify’s app in my Android device it says that I need to download a new version, I go to the app store and try to download it but it says that my device is not compatible with this new version. I checked the requirements and it says that it needs 2.3 or up, my device is 2.3.5, isn’t that enough? I’ve been using Spotify premium for almost 3 months until now. My table and computer works perfectly with this new app.

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?

1. I enter Spotify’s app
  2. It says I need to download the latest version
  3. I go to the play store
  4. I see the warning sign that says “Your device is not compatible with this version”
  5. I try to download it anyway but it won’t allow me

What I expected to happen

I expected to be able to download the new version just the way that I did with my laptop and tablet.

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes, twice. It still didn’t work

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?

Yes but nothing useful.

Your device

Mini galaxy GT-S5570L

Device’s Operating System

2.3.5 gingerbread

What type of account do you have?

Premium 

Space left on your device

53.34 MB

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)

Not sure

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)

306 MB

Is your device rooted?

Yes

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

No

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

Yes

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

Not sure if just clicking the download button means ‘manually’ hehe

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Yes, 3G connection or wiFi

My mobile Spotify version

Not a clue, Spotify LTD it says

My mobile provider and country

Claro, Perú

My username

ZetaEreAche

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

Yes

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Spotify login

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

Nop

I am sorry - Armv5 and Armv6 not longer supported is not an acceptable answer.

I am closing down my account subscribtions with you - other options do exist, and I will make sure to spread the word - Spotify - fix this right now - or your days will be numbered. 

You cannot unsupport a supported device and you cannot treat your soon to be previous customers like this: I am smeling a class action law suit. Suggest you consult legal about the ramifications for Spotify as a company if hit by this. 

Geir

Before threatening legal action, I would suggest you read the terms of service you agreed to when you subscribed. You don't have much hope.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@Peter wrote:
Before threatening legal action, I would suggest you read the terms of service you agreed to when you subscribed. You don't have much hope.

And yet, nowhere in the their notice to Android users: https://support.spotify.com/us/problems/#!/article/downloading-android-update

Nor in their OFFICIAL FAQ do they mention there's no support for arm5/6 devices. They're currently advertising availability that does not exist, getting money, account details, and email information from subscribers they can't serve. That could number in the thousands of people, the very definition of the ingredients needed to fuel a class action suit: a large group of aggrieved plaintiffs looking for small recompense for their wasted time or money.

I'm not recommending it, nor saying it's even remotely viable (nor getting into the enforcability of lengthy, legalese terms of service), but you can't summarily dismiss his opinion.

Lamp

Hello everyone,

We're very sorry about the experience many of you have had with Spotify on your Android devices.  We are working hard to bring you guys with older devices back onboard. Keep your eyes on this thread and Google Play for an update. 

However, if you believe you're on a version that should be supported, please let us know in this thread. Android armv7 users shouldn't be affected and this may be a bug. Please submit the information outlined in this post so we can take a closer look. 

Alternatively, contact our customer support team for assistance. 

Wait, so it's possible this was a mistake? Or Spotify wasn't expecting people to go (justifiably) mad when this update cut off their support? Either one is troubling, to say the least. And I'm not sure all the people you lost will know/return. I mean, your website still isn't accurate about devices, where will they know to go for updated information? 

I also am not having any issues with my arm7 device, I wanted to know whether we'd lose support on our devices without warning like the arm5/6 people. 

Lamp

MI DISPOSITIVO SAMSUMG GT-S5369 NO ES COMPATIBLE

Es decir, que si SPOTIFY tiene una incursión fraudulenta y algunas personas logran recoger gran cantidad información. La forma de arreglar el problema es cerrar a todos el acceso de SPOTIFY desde su móvil y dejarnos tirados como clientes no servibles.

Pues la forma de arreglarlo, será dejarles un poco de tiempo para ver si lo solucionan y si no, darse de baja. Lástima, porque llevo con ellos más de 5 años.

ESTO NO ESTÁ SOLUCIONADO. ASÍ QUE POR FAVOR, NO INDICAR SOLVED!. INSOLVED!

QUEREMOS SOLUCIÓN A ESTE TEMA. QUEREMOS UNA RESPUESTA POR PARTE DE ESTA EMPRESA, POR LO MENOS YO QUE LO PAGO DESDE HACE AÑOS Y QUIERO QUE PONGAN UNA VERSIÓN QUE PUEDA UTILIZAR CON MI MÓVIL

If legal action is relevant or not is one thing - in Norway where I am from Spotify . since they do business here are bound by local law - none of their terms or conditions are meaningful at all if they conflict with the local law - and it does. 

If you advertise support for Android devices you cannot remove such support and still claim you support it on all devices it was supported on.  

There are no technical reasons for not compiling it for ARMv5 and ARMv6,  These rules applies for most countries  -as such they are liable to deliver the service as they did until they coluntarily discontinued support of a wide range of products. First step however is to cancel the subscriptio and sign up for a different provider.  Loosing paying subscribers will provide more pain. At least when the market learns about it and they are planning an IPO.  I would not buy shares in a company that openly abondon their customer like this - that is a not a viable business model - given they chose to no longer support the high volume models from Samsung, Huawei and LG. 

Rgds

Geir

@Andrews32 wrote:

@Peter wrote:

And yet, nowhere in the their notice to Android users: https://support.spotify.com/us/problems/#!/article/downloading-android-update

Nor in their OFFICIAL FAQ do they mention there's no support for arm5/6 devices. They're currently advertising availability that does not exist, getting money, account details, and email information from subscribers they can't serve. That could number in the thousands of people, the very definition of the ingredients needed to fuel a class action suit: a large group of aggrieved plaintiffs looking for small recompense for their wasted time or money.

I'm not recommending it, nor saying it's even remotely viable (nor getting into the enforcability of lengthy, legalese terms of service), but you can't summarily dismiss his opinion.

Not supporting a platform from the start - like iTunes is one thing, but if you buy music on iTunes you can always move it from you PC to an Android system - it will still work - and in Norway it is still legal, and a right that cannot be limited by any agreements with a consumer. 

In summary however - where it will hurt the most is when millions of subscribers will leave them as they plan for their IPO.

That is exactly my problem. No matter how or when this is resolved, it's shown a continued trend from Spotify of ignoring customers (search history, Chromecast, this) over increasingly important issues. As they grow in users (and IPO dreams), there needs to be a more than proportionate increase in the quality of their development (technically speaking) and their customer service (in both technical help and interaction outside of PR that sounds like it was generated by computer program titled "A Computer Program That Will Assist In Using A Lot Of Words To Say Very Little At All And Not Acknowledging Your Customers And Others").

Will they ever be able to do that? Tough to say, but they're trending in the wrong direction over more frequent big issues...the Internet can forget about you in a minute, Spotify.

Lamp

Where are people like me with devices that are now unsupported going? They have my money already for this month, so when it comes time to payt up again I will be looking for alternatives. Any advice?

I'm on Rdio now. It has a great tool to migrate playlists and all.

I've heard Rdio, Deezer (not U.S.), Beats, Google All Access. 

Here's the bad news: switching services means you can't use Spotify Connect on your specified hardware anymore. I apologize to the 12 people impacted. I'm sure Spotify would be very sorry about your less-than-ideal circumstance. 

Lamp

=== START OF TEMPLATE ===

Description

Cannot update to the newest version of spotify and the old one has been disabled

'Your device is not supported' in google play

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?

The same as others

Forced to download new version of app by the existing app

Went to google play then couldn't download as my device isn't supported

What I expected to happen

To be able to download the new update for the spotify app

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?

Yes

Your device

Samsung Galaxy Y

Device’s Operating System

2.3.6 Gingerbread

What type of account do you have?

Premium

Space left on your device

57 MB

(yes I know its appalling but this phone is fairly bad tbh, but it works so hey ho)

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)

1.7 GB

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)

N/A

Is your device rooted?

No

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

No

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

Yes

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

Yes

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Yes

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?

n/a

My mobile Spotify version

None currently, due to issue

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

E.g. 0.8.4

My mobile provider and country

Giffgaff, UK

My username

marky1696

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

No

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Facebook login

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

The same as others, the 'update now' screen on the old spotify app then google play saying my device is not supported

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

Please just tell us whether our devices will be supported in the future, I like spotify and wanr to stay with spotify but I would have no choce if my phone isn't going to be supported by the mobile app

Suggested posts