Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Account hacked, e-mail changed and music being played on unknown device

Account hacked, e-mail changed and music being played on unknown device

My account has been breached apparently. When I woke up today I noticed someone playing weird Anime music on my account. It was also on somebody else's PC. He quickly changed the e-mail when he noticed I keeped stopping his music. Luckily I was just in time to log in on my PC, so I changed the e-mail back and did a password reset. Am I safe now? I haven't noticed him doing anything so I assume so. His device is still under available devices on my phone and PC. I can't change my account name so I can't rule that out as the source of the breach. Honestly I haven't shared my login data with anyone so he couldn't have entered my e-mail/accountname and brute force his way in (I assume of course). Has there been a security breach on Spotify? I noticed on that on this board there are quite a few threads about hacked accounts. I hope someone can shine some light on this. I have already filled in the form that has been posted in other threads. I hope it get answered soon because I don't want this to spread any further and let him get access to more of my account.

Edit: Nope, he keeps playing music from his device. How do I block it?

3 Replies

Hey @Jordancooke1

Sorry to hear about this! There has not been a security breach that I know of.

I suggest you contact support so they can look at your account to see what's going on and help you.

https://support.spotify.com/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it, even if it's from a no-reply address.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Yeah I contacted support. What now though? His device kees being connected regardless if I change my password, so he can keep playing music. What steps do I take to prevent him from accessing my account? I can't do nothing and risk getting my personal informations exposed.

Edit: everytime I changed my e-mail and password he kept coming back. I now used the log out everywhere feature on the account page, and very quickly changed my e-mail and password. Nothing has happened since, but I'll stay alert for any changes.

Support will usually reply back within 24-48 hours.

I usually recommend changing password and using the "log out everywhere" button. 

If the person is still on your account, support will be able to help.

There is not much that can be done here in the community by us besides to advise with troubleshooting. Support will be able to look into your account and help out.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts