Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Banned from Facebook

Solved!

Banned from Facebook

I adopted Spotify early and I'm fortunate to have an account that isn't linked to Facebook. When all the Facebook changes came about, I begrudgingly linked my account so I could play shared links from my Facebook stream.

My Facebook account has recently been banned for unknown reasons. A quick Google shows that others have experienced similar 'random bannings' ... whether or not my banning is legitamet or not - my Spotify experience is affected EVEN THOUGH my Spotify account is a separate one.

The desktop client continuously throws the red bar errors even though I'd disabled all integration client side. I can't log into Facebook to revoke access to Spotify server-side so I'm extremely annoyed as a paid premium member.

The Spotify iOS app crashes every time I attempt to load Spotify but a subsequent boot will work. Ocassionally two boots are required and each one involved closing the app from the task bar at the bottom.

I'm very close to cancelling my subscription even though I know I'll miss the service. I simply loath Facebook and I want to treat my Spotify & Facebook account as separate entities. Having the account troubles on Facebook affect a Spotify service has removed my trust for Spotify.

You never know what the future holds with services like Spotify - I can see things like Family subscriptions etc. which until now I would have taken advantage of since my wife and kids also want to use Spotify.

If I cancelled my account now and decided something else came along to tempt me to start over - let's say my wife sets up the Spotify account. Her account WILL require a Facebook login - hypothetically, if she received a similar banning experience to myself - would that terminate her Spotify usage also? Her Spotify account would be DIRECTLY linked to Facebook and therefore since a login to Facebook would fail, I can only assume a login to Spotify would do the same. Lucky for me, I have an old account so I can at least obtain service albeit somewhat annoying.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

David, you are indeed correct - i presently can login using my Spotify details but the experience is unpleasant as I my Spotify details are paired with a banned Facebook account which I cannot undo. This causes the desktop client to continuously display a flickering red bar at the top probably due to it trying to login to Facebook, over and over. It's strange why it's doing this becase if I go to my preferences, my Facebook account is unlinked.

My question was more to do with the situation whereby I create a new account for my wife in the future. She enjoys Facebook and has different opinions on sharing. So, I hypothetically asked the question - what if HER account got banned? The difference here being that her account would be created via Facebook whereas mine was an initial Spotify account.

I have since tested this by attempting to login from my banned Facebook details and verified that I cannot login to Spotify.

Due to this experience and having Facebook too closely linked to my Spotify account, I have now cancelled my subscription.

People have different opinions & preferences with the web. I don't want to broadcast what I'm listening to. I want a private, premium & flexible musical service. I dispise Facebook as their privacy controls & policy is laughable.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe the below attachment clarifies all.

Untitled.png

View solution in original post

16 Replies

User that created account with Facebook need a active account (not closed, deleted or banned).

Spotify employees say that if you get banned from Facebook, you should still be able to use Spotify. However, I have heard conflicting messages elsewhere so I don't really know.

If you don't like Facebook, I recommend canceling Spotify now and using another service (Rdio or Grooveshark). Spotify and Facebook are completely in bed together and things are continuously getting worse.

- Facebook required to sign up

- Spotify apps unable to use Spotify as a login, must use Facebook instead

- Last update removed the ability to share music with a Spotify username, only social networks are available now.

Thanks for the information.

Yeah I think that pretty much confirms my suspicions. I used to rave about Spotify but this Facebook integration stuff drives me mad. You know, until this day I never knew if it was spamming the Facebook feed/notifications page with what I'm listening to?

I consider the music I listen to a private matter. I'm my time and it's personal. The last thing I want to do is have the world know what I'm listening to. I also don't want to be responsible for clutter or spam on someone elses news feed. That said, I don't dispise social integration as a whole. I like the ability to share a post when I find something great that I know a certain person would like. This however, to be acceptable for me, must be an optional and controlled experience.

I think I'll commit to finding an alternative service. I do however, need an iOS app to go with it as I currently use Spotify as a car radio replacement.

I appreciate the suggestions, I'll start looking into them.

Deezer is one, but sadly Facebook registration... http://www.deezer.com/en/premium/apple

Thanks - I'll check it out.

This will form an interesting experiment as I'll try to sign up with my banned account.

Ok ... I can't sign up for a Deezer account, the account creation fails so that's out. Google is proving that there are a lot more services out there that offer similar experiences - just a case of finding the right alternative.

Interestingly, I've signed out of everything here and clicked 'sign up' on Spotify's website. I entered the banned account information for Facebook and I can confirm 100% that Spotify WILL NOT allow a login. I should have thought about doing this first off.

So that's it. if you're banned - you can't access Facebook.

Bye bye Spotify.

I just sent a private message to Jude asking for a comment here, since it was explicitly stated in this thread...

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Accounts-Subscriptions-and-Music/Some-Facebook-integration-questions...

that it shouldn't be a problem to use Spotify even if you get a Facebook ban.

I'm having a similar issue here. I've already sent to submittion forms to Spotify, one when I found out my Facebook account was banned, and another after Spotify failed to terminate the services for the banned Facebook, and billed me for my service. 

As you can see, no one would be happy paying for something they aren't using. 😐

It's upsetting that I still haven't received a single word from this concerning this issue as it's been nearly two weeks since the first submission, the second being today.  

Thizza - You should be able to sign right into your Premium account using your "ian313665" username.

Deathscreton - One of our advisors has been in touch with you. You might want to check your junk / spam filter in your inbox.
Airhorn Enthusiast

I recieved a message today along with all of my problems resolved. I do appreciate it. However, the issue with not being able to log in into my previous account due to my facebook being banned is still floating in the air. I could care less about the account to be honest, or my previous FB for that matter, I just wanted to ensure that my subscription was terminated. :3

Thanks again David for the timely response.

Marked as solution

David, you are indeed correct - i presently can login using my Spotify details but the experience is unpleasant as I my Spotify details are paired with a banned Facebook account which I cannot undo. This causes the desktop client to continuously display a flickering red bar at the top probably due to it trying to login to Facebook, over and over. It's strange why it's doing this becase if I go to my preferences, my Facebook account is unlinked.

My question was more to do with the situation whereby I create a new account for my wife in the future. She enjoys Facebook and has different opinions on sharing. So, I hypothetically asked the question - what if HER account got banned? The difference here being that her account would be created via Facebook whereas mine was an initial Spotify account.

I have since tested this by attempting to login from my banned Facebook details and verified that I cannot login to Spotify.

Due to this experience and having Facebook too closely linked to my Spotify account, I have now cancelled my subscription.

People have different opinions & preferences with the web. I don't want to broadcast what I'm listening to. I want a private, premium & flexible musical service. I dispise Facebook as their privacy controls & policy is laughable.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe the below attachment clarifies all.

Untitled.png

Thank you for sharing it. Approved your image.

Cheers.

Hi I was recently banned from Facebook,and I cannot use my spotify using the facebook details.

Please help me as soon as possible because I don't have music else where.The account was under xxxxx@hotmail.com .I had to create a new account just so I can post this

HELP!!!

If you contact us here, we'll be able to sort it out.

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

I am also banned on facebook and can no longer access my premium spotify account. Can someone from spotify please get in contact with me.

also facebook banned for insulting SJW LiBERALS...if you dont agree..you must be banned..Facebook shows its true colours...glad to be off the POS SITE

Suggested posts