Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Can Login to Web Account. Can't login via desktop client

Can Login to Web Account. Can't login via desktop client

1. Just signed up for premium. Have username and password and email. Received through supplied email my CC charge & confirmation.

2. Spotify desktop client downloaded.Running fully updated Win7, no firewall or antivirus issues (I checked). Used same username & password- rejected. Says wrong username or password. 

3. Re-checked password and username by clearing cache/cookies, restarting and logging in again. Also used different browser. The username and password are VERIFIED. Shows up as premium account.

4. Uninstalled spotify using more thorough dedicated uninstaller program. Reinstalled the program. Same message: "Login failed. The username or password is incorrect." It gives a link to an online "help" page. 

5. I fill in the form. I list my username, p/w, email & DOB. I try to send it. An error message says "incorrect email." Excuse me? I'm one click away from my account which lists the exact same email address. I have a confirmation from spotify for my CC charges and it was sent to the email it says is "incorrect." 

Any ideas? 

7 Replies

Hey @orcasdave and welcome to the community!

That sounds a bit odd. Have you tried logging in with the email associated with your account?

If it still doesn't work, try contacting the official support. Since you've said that it gives you an error with the "normal" form you should get in touch with the Spotify staff by using another anonymous contact form: https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-anonymous/. You can type in your email address manually and it shouldn't give you an error.

If you'll receive an automated mail that leads you back to the community or help pages, please reply to that mail (even if it's from "no-reply") and someone will get back to you as soon as possible. 

Hi Carina, thanks for the fast response, I appreciate it. I tried your suggestion of substituting the email associated with the account and came up with the same error message. I tried using the link you gave me ... but it gives me the same error message. So I cannot contact "official support." I've attached a pic which shows me actually "in" my account, with the error msg. saying the the email is invalid. It's the same account with the "invalid" email. Which stores my confirmation from spotify of the CC charges for premium service. 

Spotify Bogus Error Msg 2.jpg

Please log out of the website and try using my link for the contact form again!

Thanks Carina, I did. I got the same error message. Spotify gives one more option and they put it (roughly) this way: "If you have problems logging in, connect with Facebook." Well, I really don't like the idea of HAVING to connect with my FB account- it exposes my friends to spotify and whatever else .... But I did connect and it immediately logged me in. Not a problem.

Takeaway:

1. Spotify has an established base of problems sufficient to putting up a generic "... login with FB" message on the desktop client. Or

2. Spotify has an arrangement with FB and is actively driving people towards using their FB accounts to sign in.

I'll keep this open for a day or so ... I'd be interested in ANYONE's experience in this area ... and, of course, a solution to my problem. I can log in on the browser, I can have my CC charged, I can receive confirmations, but when it comes to the desktop client login- no, doesn't work. When it comes to asking for help through the channels presented and suggested: "no, you don't exist." Except I do, when it comes to charging my credit card or viewing my account online.

Thanks!

So you say you get the same error message on the contact form page even when you are LOGGED OUT?

Yes.

Strange, could you PM me your email address here on the community (click on my name to go to my profile, then send Private Message) and I will ask someone from Spotify to check this out for you?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts