Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't change country

Solved!

Can't change country

I moved to Germany and cannot change my country in my profile.  Here's what happens every time:  When I change my country to Germany from the US (including postal code, or not, I've tried both ways) and update it tells my email address is being used by another user (uh yeah, that's me).  So, when I try using a different email address the profile screen comes back asking me to choose a country.  So I choose Germany and it then tells me my password is incorrect.  It's an endless loop with no way out, what is happening?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@nathanbontrager - This was caused by the presence of a secondary Spotify account, created using Facebook details, with the same email address. I have deleted that account. You should now be able to change your country.

@hammeh - Payment details are no longer needed to change profile country. The system was changed a few weeks ago. Now the system only requires the IP address to geolocate to the country chosen.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

@nathanbontrager wrote:

I moved to Germany and cannot change my country in my profile.  Here's what happens every time:  When I change my country to Germany from the US (including postal code, or not, I've tried both ways) and update it tells my email address is being used by another user (uh yeah, that's me).  So, when I try using a different email address the profile screen comes back asking me to choose a country.  So I choose Germany and it then tells me my password is incorrect.  It's an endless loop with no way out, what is happening?

Hi, to change your country you have to change your payment details.

Please use your German debit/credit card, and add that to your Spotify account.

I don't have Premium, does this mean I have to start paying if I want to keep using my current account from Germany?  This is what it tells me:

Subscription status

Your account can no longer be used from abroad, since the maximum travel time is 14 days for a Spotify Free account. To continue using Spotify from abroad, sign up for Spotify Premiumwhich gives you unlimited travel access.

My sense from reading other posts is that people were able to change countries without upgrading beyond the free version.

@nathanbontrager wrote:

I don't have Premium, does this mean I have to start paying if I want to keep using my current account from Germany?  This is what it tells me:

Subscription status

Your account can no longer be used from abroad, since the maximum travel time is 14 days for a Spotify Free account. To continue using Spotify from abroad, sign up for Spotify Premiumwhich gives you unlimited travel access.

My sense from reading other posts is that people were able to change countries without upgrading beyond the free version.

Hi - all you have to do is add payment info.

Go to https://www.spotify.com/account/subscription/change-payment/#change-country and it should let you, as long as you add a card. It won't be charged.

It would appear that Spotify doesn't accept debit cards from Germany, only credit cards?  My Deutsche Bank card doesn't have the needed numerical information on it for what Spotify is asking for.  

Hey 🙂

I would suggest you drop the team a message directly in that case using the online contact form and a member of the team will be able to assist you directly.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Marked as solution

@nathanbontrager - This was caused by the presence of a secondary Spotify account, created using Facebook details, with the same email address. I have deleted that account. You should now be able to change your country.

@hammeh - Payment details are no longer needed to change profile country. The system was changed a few weeks ago. Now the system only requires the IP address to geolocate to the country chosen.

Hi there,

I used to have an account in Spain but i live in Ireland and im having the same problem... cant change the country on my profile even with the IP doesnt update itself. Can you advice please? thank you! 🙂

Here's the Error I'm getting...

SpotifyError.JPG

I've got the same problem. I moved from Germany to Austria and can't use spotify anymore.

I don't have an austrian credit card, so I can't change my country settings.

And I tried twice to contact spotify over the contact form, but unfortunately nobody got back to me.

Can anyone help?

@7mal wrote:

I've got the same problem. I moved from Germany to Austria and can't use spotify anymore.

I don't have an austrian credit card, so I can't change my country settings.

And I tried twice to contact spotify over the contact form, but unfortunately nobody got back to me.

Can anyone help?

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂

When you got in touch, did you get an automated email reply directing you to the community or help pages? (Check your spam/junk folders)

If so you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I answered the mail. Hope this well help.

Kind regards,

7mal

Hey guys same problem cme back from the states and i'm leaving in belgium now and i can't seem to chnage the country

Anyone can help me

Pierre

I  got the message that I cannot use Spotify more than 14 days abroad, when actually I havent moved anywhere from my country.

So when I tried to change my country settings I found out that it only gives me one option and it was autosaved - Estonia , but  Im living in Kazakhstan. Tried to change postal code, number etc, but other options of countries  didnt appear.

I dont have Premium account yet, only free one, so Im quite confused,what should I do in order  to change country to KZ and log in successfully?

Please advice 🙂 

Hi,

Sorry to bother you. I"m currently travelling and the same thing happened to me. But for some reason I can't change my country. And I'm not sure to understand what do you mean by having a second profile using facebook. Please if you can help I'll really appreciate it.

Thank you,

Regards,

Johan.

Hello there. I am having the same issue. My current country is still Malaysia (I am now in Vietnam) and I can't seem to click any other option than Malaysia which surely wouldn't allow me to log in.

Hi Spotify Community

I'm on Spotify Free. Spotify keeps telling me that I need to change my country. But there aren't any countries to choose from other than the US (I'm in South Africa). There is no way to update my country, and before then Spotify won't allow me to access the platform (until I have updated my country, which I can't). Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Hi, I moved to Switzerland and I don't even have the option in my account as any drop-down menu to select another country rather than Spain. I have Spotify family and I should also solve this because I am no longer living in Spain with my brother. It is very important since I just got the bill.... 

Thanks,

Marta 

My Account is doing the same. It says that the email address is in use. I dont have facebook so dont know what is happening. 

Suggested posts