Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Card expired, cannot renew

Card expired, cannot renew

Hello,

I asked this a month ago and did not receive a reply, so I am asking again.

I used to live in sweden. In sweden I bought a premium account with my swedish card. Then I moved to Spain. After 6-7 months in spain, my Swedish card expired, and I had to change the card details. I had another Swedish card and thought that I could use that card. However, when I enter the details, the details are not accepted and payment cannot be made. I use Skandiabanken and have looked through the FAQ without any help. 

Now, because I am in Spain, but was registered in Spain I cannot even listen to the "free" version because my "travelling days" are over. Obviously I prefer being able to pay for the unlimited version so that I can listen to music as much as I want and also to access my playlists. 

Please help.

KR,

Joakim

16 Replies

Please check the following requirements that need to be met for a payment to be successfully made:

1. Your card must not have expired. If you have received a new card, please update your card details on your Subscription page: https://www.spotify.com/account/subscription/

2. The country set in your Spotify account profile must match the country where your card is registered. If you intend to use a payment method in another country, you can make this selection on your Subscription page (We can only accept payment from our launch countries).

3. Your card should be enabled for e-commerce transactions (Verified by Visa/Mastercard securecard card).

4. Your card must be open to be used for foreign purchases.

5. There are some banks that require other security authentifications, the most common one being 3DSecure.
Airhorn Enthusiast

Thank you for your reply!

1. I have updated the card with a new card that is not expired

2. My card is from Sweden, the country in my profile is Sweden, however I currently study, and thus live, in Spain

3. I have Verified by Visa

4. It is open to foreign purchases

5. The card is from the same bank as the previous card, and thus there should be no problem. Only difference is that the new card is an Electron Card. Do you have problems with Electron Cards?

Joakim

Any further help? None of this works. I did all those steps before I wrote my initial reply.

I still cannot pay, and I have done all the steps you listed. I have been unable to use Spotify for, I dont know, 2-3 months, and still have not received help

It might just be a matter of trying again I think, I know Electron cards can be funny sometimes. So give it a go in another browser if possible or via Paypal if you've got that set up.

I've removed your payment details from the system - perhaps adding them again will help things go through smoothly.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Dear all,

was there any solution for a problem where card has expirated and there is no way to renew the expiration date? I am always directed to the the subscription page which only offers me a link to see my receipts but not to renew the card expiration date.

I am not interested in my receipts at the moment.

Brgds,

Matti

I got the same problem. There is no way to update to my new card. I read the FAQ and got directed to the subscription page and there is no renew button to click. 

Im having the same issue ive gone through the help section and it just gives me links to click on the change subscription button/link but when i get to the page there is no such button/link.

Same problem here. Hopefully this is just  temporary issue with that page?

Hey all,

It looks like the payment method change button has disappeared for some reason. Hopefully it'll come home soon.

Until then you can change it on this page - https://www.spotify.com/account/profile/

Under the country change option you'll find an option to change your payment details. Apologies for the slightly awkward workaround.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

same problem,,, can't renew my visa?

I get this when I try to update my expired visa card:

Could not update payment details

Sorry, we could not update your payment details.

I wish Spotify would add "why" in above info...

Is it the same card number as before?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

No, it's a brand new shining card 🙂

Strange, do you currently have a subscription running?

Peter

I get information from Spotify that my card have expired, and that i must update/registre a new card. But that does not work.

Can you try and remove your old card and then add the new one?

Peter

trying but dont know how to remove my expired card?

Suggested posts