Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Change Premium to Spotify Family

Solved!

Change Premium to Spotify Family

Hi

I want to change from Spotify Premium to Spotify Family with 3 additional members. How do I proceed? Do I have to quit my Premium Subscription befor I order Spotify Family?

Greetings

Nick

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there welcome to the community!

Yes, a family subscription requires you to cancel your current subscription. However, Spotify Family has not yet been released in all countries. To change your subscription, go to this link. If Spotify Family has been rolled-out in your country, there should be a "Upgrade" button. click at it and follow the steps.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Saw reports over on another topic cancelling the invites and resending them is now working again. Might be worth a shot.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Marked as solution

I can reply that I just was able to generate new invites and invite both family members; worked.  

Thanks team.

23 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi there welcome to the community!

Yes, a family subscription requires you to cancel your current subscription. However, Spotify Family has not yet been released in all countries. To change your subscription, go to this link. If Spotify Family has been rolled-out in your country, there should be a "Upgrade" button. click at it and follow the steps.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

really? i didn't have to cancel my premium acct to get family plan, i just upgraded it. i am having trouble though redeeming code for my wife's account. i wonder if that's the case.

I am also having trouble redeeming my code for my fiance. I am in the US and my account page confirms that I am on a family plan. Every time I try to redeem her code I get a message akin to "Oops, something went wrong, please try again"

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

@evan - my only guest would be spotify jumping the gun too soon on the web and the family premium is not "live" yet. but for some reason we got in on the family acct. i did email their support system.

What is their help email address? I couldn't find it. 

Thanks!

support@spotify.com ....pls let me know if they email you too.. thanks

fyi- did you cancel your old premium acct before you sign up for family acct or you just upgrade it?

+1 on this; I have tried, unsuccessfully, to add my daugther and I am getting the same "oops" message.  I have upgraded my account, hers is free, but the family plan code will not be3 accepted.

It looks like there is an issue if the administrator account was not on Free when it set up the plan. I would suggest you get in touch using the contact form rather than emailing support@spotify.com as it helps the teams deal with issues faster:

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

Peter

Thanks for the info.  I had used the form, but the response I received back did not resolve it - the support person said that he/she had reissued the family invite and to try again.  So, I was reaching out in other methods to try and resolve the issue.

Other than the information, is there a potential fix?

Not aware of a fix at the minute (I don't work for Spotify) but they are definitely looking into it!

Peter

So, in the mean time, if I'm understanding correctly, you have to cancel your premium membership, wait for it to run out and be switched to Free, and then re-upgrade to a Family plan for it to work correctly?  Talk about some poor customer service!  Sounds like they are trying to soak up the good press for creating a Family plan, while at the same time making it as difficult as possible for existing customers to switch.  I just recently signed up for Premium, and realized that my wife and I using one account is a headache.  They announced the Family plans right after I upgraded to Premium, and I was about to upgrade to one.  I'm seriously second guessing that choice now and I'm going to look at other options.

Marked as solution

Saw reports over on another topic cancelling the invites and resending them is now working again. Might be worth a shot.

Peter

Marked as solution

I can reply that I just was able to generate new invites and invite both family members; worked.  

Thanks team.

Hello Guys!

Now my premium expires after 12 days, and i want to upgrade to family pack for my girlfriend, am i paying then for 12 days in premium then extra for the family 150$ ? 

Cancelled the invite and reinvite worked, thanks!

I am having issues aswell, was on premium and i upgraded to family. It took my full payment of $143.44 and didnt upgrade so i went and canceled my premium and now still the same but the recipet page says i upgraded to family premium. 

anyone about to help

My roommate wants to join my family plan but got a message that said she couldn't because she already has premium. If she cancels her premium account and accepts the invite to be part of the family plan, will her playlists remain on her account?

Hi! Will i be able to upgrade my free trial to premium family trial? If so, am I still entitled for the free trial without an additional charge?

will I lose all the playlists etc I have on my account if I switch to spotify family?

Suggested posts