Country

Canada

Device

(iPhone 12 Pro Max, MacBook Air 2019)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

I had two account before,

1. Free Spotify (with email address 1.0)
  2. Premium Family (with email address 2.0)

I closed the free Spotify account (with email address 1.0) on April 30th. I waited over 7 days to make sure the account was closed because I got an email that if I open the account (with email address 1.0) again, it will reactivate which what I’m trying to avoid.

Now I'm trying to change the email address on my Premium Family account. I want to change and use the email address 1.0 on my Premium Family account but it keeps telling me "We're sorry, that email is taken.” 

I’m wondering is there is a solution with this? Am I doing something wrong? I thought the Free Spotify account (with email address 1.0) is already closed? I thought I can use main email address on my Premium Family. 

Please help. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @jscpv17,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community!

As is mentioned in this support article, it is necessary to wait 14-30 days after closing your old account in order for your email address to clear from it and become available to use on another account.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi @jscpv17,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community!

As is mentioned in this support article, it is necessary to wait 14-30 days after closing your old account in order for your email address to clear from it and become available to use on another account.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star

I have a similar, but not quite identical issue where I once used email 1.0 for my my Spotify premium account, but I had to change to email 2.0 at some stage - this was a few years ago, so well beyond the 30 days suggested. I now need to change back to email 1.0 but I am receiving the "...email is taken" error.

Hi @syatestc,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community, and welcome!

It sounds like you may have used this email address to create a new Spotify account, and haven’t closed it.

I recommend first trying to gain access to the account created with the desired email address. As you may have forgotten the password for this account, you can follow the steps in this support article to reset your password, entering the desired email address into password reset.

Next, I recommend changing the email address on the secondary Spotify account to a completely new email address; this way, you’ll free up the desired email address to use for your desired Spotify account. 

Later, you can close the secondary Spotify account; however, make sure not to close it before the email switch (otherwise, it’ll take some time for the email to be freed up after the closure). 

Let me know how this goes, as well as if you have any other questions.

Have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star

Thanks for this!

Seems you are right! Turns out I used email 1.0  to register my account prior to upgrading to premium.

Have changed the address - just waiting until I can use it again.

Thanks again!

Hi @syatestc

Thanks for keeping me updated!

There shouldn’t be a need to wait if you simply change the email address for your Spotify account to the one you originally used to register it.

To confirm, have you already tried changing the email address for your Spotify account back to email address 1.0?

I look forward to your reply; let me know if you have any other questions, and have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star

Hi again,

Yes I can confirm I was able to change the email address back without waiting.

Thank you again for your help 🙂

Suggested posts