Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Error code 101?

Solved!

Error code 101?

So in the midddle of playing today my account first went offline and wouldn't come back on line. Then when I tried to fix it it wouldn't work. Then it went off completely and now when i try to log in it says that there is error code 101 and it's a problem with my firewall...thoughts? I don;t know how to fix this!

85 Replies

i have McAfee

Okay, not being familiar with McAfee I nevertheless remain adamant your problem lies there.  I would just try and explore the program as much as possible until you find the programs exception list so as to allow Spotify.  If Spotify is not on there it might be worth uninstalling and re-installing in an attempt to get it to re-appear on the list, as I know doing so has been other people's methods of getting it up and running once again.

I was completely unfamiliar with the ins and outs of my Norton protection and just had to spend a lot of time playing around with it to find what I needed.

Sorry I can't be more specific than that, but I really hope you can get it fixed soon as I had such bad withdrawal symptoms the second my Spotify went down - it's like crack!!

yay i fixed it, thank you :)!

Im having the same problem. My spotify just said it was offline, so I logged out and tried to log back in and now it displays error code 101. I have tried deleting it and reinstallin git and changing my firewall settings and nothing. I have tried all the solutions on these pages and nothing still. Would really appreciate some help!

I followed rex's link and it finally worked! Woohoo

Thanks, worked great! After an update of Norton I had the Error code 101 problem and was desperate for a while since none of the other steps helped. So thanks again for this Andygout!

Marked as solution

I've had this 101 for a two days now. Nothing seems to solve the problem.

I have done everything this thread has suggested, from deep clean to unblocking etc etc.

Won't be getting premium back until it's fully resolved.

EDIT: Removing McAfee solved this.

Hi, I have been having the exact same problem and also tried the first solutions many times! I went on the suggested link http://www.spotify.com/uk/download/previews/ but I can't seem to find the heading of 'Gapless playback & crossfade preview version' or any sort of link. Helpp!

Also had this problem - weird thing was I have two laptops both with Avast and Spotify worked straight off on one laptop and on the other I was plagued with error code 101. Tried the suggested fixes numerous time to no avail. What I noticed was that when I downloaded Spotify it automatically put an exception into the firewall and seemed fine but I still could not log-in - even with the firewall off I still could not log-in. So I tried a different approach - switched-off the firewall and then did the download through the direct link provided on a previous post and hey presto it worked. Strange thing is the firewall is back on and does not have an exception for Spotify but still works.......odd but at least its working now........

I have tried everything too.  I even tried that random link Rex suggested and my computer says it cannot open a file of this type?  What is going on?  Why can Spotify run on my work computers but not home?

Please solve this and let me know what I can do.  I'm not computer ignorant, it shouldn't be this difficult.  

@saradee wrote:

I have tried everything too.  I even tried that random link Rex suggested and my computer says it cannot open a file of this type?  What is going on?  Why can Spotify run on my work computers but not home?

Please solve this and let me know what I can do.  I'm not computer ignorant, it shouldn't be this difficult.  

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Do you have any anti-vrius or firewall software running? 

You need to make sure that Spotify is on the exceptions list for all of these programs, if you are still having issues, try disabling them. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thank you Peter!  I did try that already and still nothing. Maybe Spoify just hates Mac's made before '10.

This did the trick for me somewhat. I'm really very hesitant about upgrading to the new version though, despite Spotify's portests. It's still slow and upgrading made it even slower before this whole error 101 thing came about, plus I fear turning my Firewall back on is going to kill it again

i just want to listen to my music

@xmenbonner wrote:

i just want to listen to my music

Are you having issues with error 101?

If so, try the steps outlined in this help page.

Peter

Peter

I keep getting the same error code 101 even after I've taken all the steps that you've all listed on here. I've removed from exceptions list, uninstalled, reinstalled, everything and it's still not working. My computer was recently updated to WIN 7 but other than that nothing has changed. Why can't I get it to download!!! I'm paying for premium and can still use it on  my phone but I NEED it on my work comp. PLEASE HELP

@Meldish86 wrote:

I keep getting the same error code 101 even after I've taken all the steps that you've all listed on here. I've removed from exceptions list, uninstalled, reinstalled, everything and it's still not working. My computer was recently updated to WIN 7 but other than that nothing has changed. Why can't I get it to download!!! I'm paying for premium and can still use it on  my phone but I NEED it on my work comp. PLEASE HELP

When you say download, do you have the client installed or are you getting an error from the installer? 

I would suggest you have a read at the connection troubleshooting guide see if anything there helps you. If you are in work, be aware that the ports needed for Spotify to work might be blocked. 

Peter

Peter

So I've been having this same problem for the past week or so and I've used the suggested solution at least 5 times and it won't work at all. Nothing can fix it.

I have the exact same thing, my Spotify isn't working for months now. I removed it from my firewall and followed all the instructions but I still can't open the program and it's a bit frustrating. If someone can help me solve this problem I would be very glad! 

Suggested posts