Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Facebook link not changing display name

Facebook link not changing display name

I created my account without Facebook. Later I wanted to link to my FB account. All went well, I was able to add friends etc. Had read that it can take a couple of days for the name and picture to flow over to the account.

Well its been about a week, still no change. People can't find me because my display name is still the non FB one.

Have searced thru the web and seen what the common issues are. Can't see anything out of place on my end. The app is visable in FB and it has all access. On Spotify process FB data is set to on.

Help?

Plan

Free

Country

USA

Device

PC (Spotify v.1.1.8.439).

Android

Operating System

Windows 10, Android Q beta

7 Replies

Hi @192000Hertz, welcome to the Community!

I would suggest disconnecting and reconnecting your Facebook account. You can do this by navigating to Edit > Preferences and scrolling down to the Facebook section.

Let me know how it goes!

I went ahead and did this yesterday.
Aditionally I went into Facebook and removed Spotify from the app list.

Added it back and confirmed that all settings are back in place for it to work.

Still hasnt worked yet. Any tips?

I've been emailing support too. Only get about 1 email from them a day though... and didnt even get a reply today. Don't think its going anywhere. They thought I was talking about "user name" when I clearly was talking about "display name" and how linking FB is supposed to change the display name and picture.

I'm probably giving this about another week tops then I'm going to look elsewhere for streaming.

If your display name doesn't update, try checking your privacy settings. Spotify cannot display your name/picture if you have 'process your Facebook data'. You can read more about it here.

If it is enabled, I would try turning it off for a few hours and turning it back on just to be sure.

Additionally, logging out and logging back in with Facebook might be worth trying.

Thanks for the replies. Yes I've tried toggling settings, and unlinking and relinking Facebook. Nothing is working.

Support is saying my account is not linked to the FB account I emailed them. But I only have 1 Facebook account, and can see when linking it that it is linking to my Facebook account.

Any other ideas??

Hey @192000Hertz.

Thanks for getting back to us.

You mentioned that you reached out to our Customer Support team, who told you that your main account isn't linked to your Facebook account.

Based on this info, it sounds like you might have two accounts: your main one, which isn't linked to Facebook, and a secondary account, which is the one linked to your Facebook account.

Just to be sure, do you mind following the steps in this support article to see if you have any secondary accounts? 

Let us know how it goes - we'll be here to help if you need us 😉

Hey there,

Thanks for the reply. Both Ennovy and Joshua said the FB accout link I gave them (my FB account) wasnt the one linked to my Spotify account.

Just to recap, I only have 1 FB account, so not sure how that's even possable. Also it pulls my frieds up etc just fine, so it is linked to my account. Again its just not changing the display name and profile picture on Spotify.

I did your suggestion in regards to multiple Spotify accounts. I did the password reset and it sent it to my correct email address. I then proceded to try and log into Spotify in ever possable way; FB login, crazy User Name and password, email and password. All three log me into the same account.

The last I recived from support was them telling me there was nothing they could do and that I need to make a new account. I havent because I want my non-FB account to be linked to FB, so that I can unlink it in the future.

Hey @192000Hertz.

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

In that case, we suggest you make a new Spotify account, but that you create it through Spotify here versus through Facebook. After that, you can link it to your Facebook account by following the steps in this support article, first making sure that it's unlinked from your other account (this is described in the same support article).

Once you've done that, you can check out this Spotify Answer to see how to transfer your music and playlists to your new account.

Bear in mind that if you want to create a new account using the email address you use to sign in to your current account with, you'll need to free it up first. You can do this by getting in touch with our Customer Support team here - they'll take care of that 😉

Hope that helps! Let us know how you get on - we'll be here in case you need any further help.

Suggested posts