Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Family plan subscription for Canada

Solved!

Family plan subscription for Canada

Is the Spotify Family plan available yet in Canada? 

My wife and I both have the free accounts and would like to switch to the family plan, however when we click on Upgrade, we don't see any kind of link to the family plan. 

Thanks

D

227 Replies

I am not sure if this exclusive deal with Rogers is legal on the CRTC point of view.

But at the speed CRTC usually reacts, I would not expect an applicable solution from that side...

Considering going to Google play music, event is I agree that the GUI is much more userfriendly with spotify.

Ok, so now that its clear that Spotify will not be offering a family plan, does anyone have any suggestions on migrating playlists to any other service?

There are solutions out there. But to be honest most looked pretty convoluted, with Linux etc. I only had about 1000 songs to move so I just attacked a few hundred at a time.

This app just came out, looks great:

https://stampapp.io/

Spotify family plan is available in Canada. It's called Google Play Music

Thanks for the info, Cancelled my Spotify, Signed up for Google Play Music family plan.

I hit up Spotify support for an update.  They suggested that I submit an idea which I did but can't find it anywhere.

The situation appears to be exactly as others have described.  Spotify has an exclusive deal with Rogers.  This is obviously silly and certainly not enough of a differentiator for a customer to chose to change service providers.  I'm not even sure of the logic behind this deal.

At any rate, I think we need to continue to be vocal about this so we can effect change.  I'd like to add my wife to my plan, but am not going to pay double the price when alternatives are out there.  As well, I don't want to change to a competitor because I like Spotify and am inveseted in the platform at this point.

Spotify, please listen to us.  Open up family accounts for all Canadians.  If not because we want it and it's the smart business move, at least you can hook us up since Swedes and Canadians are alike!

There seems to be multiple solutions that help you transition play lists to
other music platforms, also, cancelling your premium service does not
delete your account or playlists, it just reduces functionality.

I would prefer that Spotify got their heads out of their a***s, I'm not
signing up for a 40-80 dollar rogers service to get my Spotify fix.

I wonder what the best way to effect this change is?  I question the utility of this board for this kind of a thing.

In the only language these guys understand - with your cash.

Everyone should tweet their CEO to voice our displeasure over this issue! 

We encourage everyone to use our contact form if you have a complaint.

You can find this over at https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/

Thanks 🙂

So another spot that won't be addressed? Its been over a year since the family plan was "coming soon" to Canada and nothing has been done other than @SpotifyCares saying they will forward it to the people that should see it and we'll monitor the issue. Its ridiculous that family plans are available in many different areas other then the US and yet still Canada is left in the cold (pun not intended).

A useless endeavour for over a year. All you will receive is instructions to contact Rogers for family plan information. What they don't tell you is that you must be a Rogers Mobility customer to get the family plan. I am not and will never be a Rogers customer. I do however want to be a Spotify customer. I second tweeting the CEO.

You have two options for a family plan in Canada.

1) sign up with Rogers, pay an exorbitant amount for their share everything plans (if you are already, great) and get Spotify Family for free!

or

2) wait for Roger's exlusive contract on Spotify family to run out. Only then will Spotify open the family plan to the rest of Canada.

I'm sure Spotify wants to appease all Canadian non-rogers customers but money talks. The exclusive with Rogers probably lines their pockets FAR MORE than you, me and everyone else who would want the family plan outside of the rogers deal. This is a business decision that was made a while ago and there is NO going back on that.

I just cancelled my Spotify account - it was hard, I loved everything about it but with my wife, and 2 kids coming into music now, I've switched to Google's family plan which IS available in Canada. For me, that was the only recourse. Emailing/Contacting Spotify is useless. They will not make this available to Canada again until their contract is over with Rogers AND THEY DO NOT RENEW.

OK. Well, that makes it easy then.  Farewell Spotify and hello Google Play Music for the three of us in my family.

C

I have been a business person for over 20 years and am astonished that a company would make an exclusive deal with a single service provider and effectively cut out over half of its business. Bell/Telus holds 56% of the market share in Canada with Rogers maintaning 34%. 10% is held by smaller companies that piggy back off of the Bell/Telus or Rogers networks. That would be like Microsoft saying you can only load our software on Dell computers. I hope they fired whom ever made that deal. 

Google play music offers this and I'm thinking of switching

You are now making the family plan cheaper. I was hoping Canada was going to get the family plan!

Then i seen "* Excluding Canada". You have no idea how much i want to leave spotify now. 

Your stupid deal with rogers for greed vs your loyal clients will hurt you in the end. 

Suggested posts