How can I get private session to turn on automatically?

How can I get private session to turn on automatically?

hatsjer
Gig Goer

How can I get private session to turn on automatically?  If it's possible at all...

52 Replies

afandiyusuf

Why you did not make me know what i share at spotify activity?
That make me anxious.

And you must create default private session feature.

carlfogarty

I have just discovered this lack of privacy and though i have no shame in relation to my eclectic playlists. there are young members of my family who i feel should have an assumed level of privacy.  I am currently considering cancelling all the accounts i pay for. As the lack of privacy controls can only be a deliberate measure and not an ommission. can you imaging if other services like netflix had the same policys. This need to be fixed now.

scorpiorising
Regular

This is ridiculous. 

Are they completely insane. They just think no one will notice or mind that all their listening is being broacasted in public?? 

This is unacceptable. 

None of these "solutions" are aceptable. Nothing short of a "make ALL sessions private" option is acceptable. 

Once again, a service putting their marketing strategies before their costumers. 

osornios
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

I don't get it.

If you turn off facebook sharing, spotify sharing and scrobbling in the Desktop app you are actually in a permanent private session. That's all selecting Private Session does anyway.

If you're worried about your facebook friends, just create a new spotify account with an email and don't link it to fb. It's definitively more private that way.

osorniosRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

lsfdjgfdsg
Casual Listener

Hi everyone, 

I'd like to revive this topic, hoping we could get a final solttion for this Spotify-imposed sharing setting.

What I'm trying to accomplish is the following: listen to music on my Spotify account without anyone seeing what I'm listening to. I'm not a social butterfly and don't care about anyone's opinion on the music I listen to. 

That being said: is there a way to listen to music on Spotify without sharing that with anyone? No I don't want to turn on Private every 6 hours and have already disconnected the Facebook account. 

As I'm typing this I'm transferring my playlists over to Apple Music, which does not seem to share anything without my conesent or ask me to turn on Private mode every 6 hours. 

I really like Spotify, the music and quality but got really bothered by having to go Private every 6 hours.

Can someone please let me know if there's a permanent solution to this nonsense, or should I finish transfering over my playlists to Apple Music ? 

Isidorogp
Casual Listener

Comparto, apoyo y asumo como mía también tu reivindicación respecto a la imposición dictatorial que spotify realiza al publicar lo que estas escuchando algo que atenta contra la libertad y la privacidad de las personas y dudo mucho que sea legal.

La pregunta sin respuesta es: Por que los que estamos abonados a Spotify no podemos gestionar nuestros gustos musicales con libertad y privacidad.

Tampoco comprendo la obsesión enfermiza que tienen en obligarnos a escuchar la música que les sale a ellos de los cojones, y perdón por la expresión, precisamente pago, entre otras cosas, para que sean "mis cojones" los que elijan la música. Puede parecer que utilizo un lenguaje un poco altisonante, pero es que hablar correcta y educadamente no parece que sirva para mucho, ya lo intente de esa forma en varias ocasiones hace un tiempo y pasaron de este tema como de comer mierda. La prueba es que siguen sin respetar el derecho a nuestra privacidad y parece que va para largo.

Puede que, como tú apuntas,  al fina la única solución sea transferir las listas de reproducción a Apple Music.

user-removed
Not applicable

Hey @lsfdjgfdsg, Welcome back to the Community!

There is a permanent solution. You only need to do the following:

1. Click the v next to your name (top right corner) followed by a click on Settings.
  2. Turn everything switch off between Social and Local Files.

This should do the trick.

Cheers,

Tarzerix
Casual Listener

"everything switch off" includes switch off "private session"?
Sounds a bit confusing. If I do so it turns my hidden status directly to public.
Or get I something wrong here?

Thanks..

user-removed
Not applicable
Then I'm not sure about my solution. Can you please check it for me please.
-

lsfdjgfdsg
Casual Listener

Everything social is already off on my end. However, I still appear in other people's friend feed, unless I turn on Private Session, which I need to do every 6 hours.

user-removed
Not applicable
Thank you for checking.
By searchingring on the Community, I found this idea: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Let-me-activate-private-session-indefinitely/idi-p/10429...
You can give it a Vote and hope that they implement the feature soon.
Cheers,

gruff
Music Fan
So what's the status of this as of 2015. It doesn't seem possible to enable private mode in the Android app by default. Is it possible on the pc client by doing the above mentioned changes?

I believe that Spotify earns more money if users share as much of their activity as possible. And therefore they are very reluctant to properly implement this 'feature'.

Tarzerix
Casual Listener

Honestly...for paying 9,99 per month all these restrictions suck big time! Why cant I decide on my default status as a paying premium member? Why cant I see any longer who is following my playlists? lets not start talking about some other weird design descisions here...

wahunt

This is pretty weak. It's obvious that 1) It's easy to turn on a private session and 2) A significant subset of users would like to configure this to be the default behaviour for their account, across devices. Why Spotify doesn't implement this is beyond me. When I pay $10/month for a 'premium' account, I really expect to have this degree of control. Very disappointing.

Peter__
Community Legend

@wahunt wrote:

This is pretty weak. It's obvious that 1) It's easy to turn on a private session and 2) A significant subset of users would like to configure this to be the default behaviour for their account, across devices. Why Spotify doesn't implement this is beyond me. When I pay $10/month for a 'premium' account, I really expect to have this degree of control. Very disappointing.

Does unticking all of the sharing options in the settings menu not achieve the same thing?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

raulserrano
Regular

Hi guys,

so if I have all my activity hiden there is no way people can reach my music? What about all my FB friends? Should I turn on Private Mode... every time??

Thanks for your support

Ra

meahtenoha
Spotify
Spotify

Hi raulserrano - If you've changed all your 'Activity Sharing' and 'Profile' settings nothing will be shared.

These can both be accessed from your Preferences Page: Edit > Preferences (in Windows) or Spotify > Preferences (in Mac)

raulserrano
Regular

What about all my FB friends? Should I turn on Private Mode?

user-removed
Not applicable

@Meredith: You say "nothing will be shared" - Does this include the Spotify ticker at right hans site of the app? I mean what's the point of the "private session" button if you can just turn it all off in the preference settings?

I'm seriously considering making a fake FB profile to avoid the sharing stuff - I'm clicking the pricvate session EVERYTIME anyway.

meahtenoha
Spotify
Spotify

Martinlundp - Correct, Private Mode means nothing is shared in either Facebook or Spotify Social (the ticker in your app). 

However, if you adjust your settings in your Preferences there's no need to go into Private Mode all the time. 

The Private Mode option is there for users that want to share their tunes 99% of the time. They can use Private Mode when they want to listen to a guilty pleasure for a couple of hours without adjusting all their settings. 

raulserrano - What about your Facebook friends? Do you want to share your tunes with them? This can be done via your Prefences Page: Edit > Preferences (in Windows) or Spotify > Preferences (in Mac)

Screen Shot 2013-01-28 at 2.39.24 PM.png

SUGGESTED POSTS