How can I get private session to turn on automatically?

Re: How can I get private session to turn on automatically?

flocker

wahunt

This is pretty weak. It's obvious that 1) It's easy to turn on a private session and 2) A significant subset of users would like to configure this to be the default behaviour for their account, across devices. Why Spotify doesn't implement this is beyond me. When I pay $10/month for a 'premium' account, I really expect to have this degree of control. Very disappointing.

Peter__
Community Legend

@wahunt wrote:

This is pretty weak. It's obvious that 1) It's easy to turn on a private session and 2) A significant subset of users would like to configure this to be the default behaviour for their account, across devices. Why Spotify doesn't implement this is beyond me. When I pay $10/month for a 'premium' account, I really expect to have this degree of control. Very disappointing.

Does unticking all of the sharing options in the settings menu not achieve the same thing?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

gruff
Music Fan
So what's the status of this as of 2015. It doesn't seem possible to enable private mode in the Android app by default. Is it possible on the pc client by doing the above mentioned changes?

I believe that Spotify earns more money if users share as much of their activity as possible. And therefore they are very reluctant to properly implement this 'feature'.

Tarzerix
Casual Listener

Honestly...for paying 9,99 per month all these restrictions suck big time! Why cant I decide on my default status as a paying premium member? Why cant I see any longer who is following my playlists? lets not start talking about some other weird design descisions here...

zündi

Even following these instructions it doesn't work for me. Every time i open spotify i have to turn on private session again. it's super annoying!! I don't wish to share what i listen to with the world. Can I unfriend people on spotify? This way i don't have to worry about this. How do i know who sees what i listen to? I don't know who is connected to me through spotify.

rstanley41
Casual Listener
Exactly. I'm new to Spotify and HATING this behavior of the app. It seems like deliberate complication to me. Sucks big time.

PhilBrown89

I totally agree with you. I am waiting for someone from spotify to adress this in this thread and not just turn a blind eye to this thread which is what they are doing at the moment it seems. Hello? I want it to always be private. Always. I dont want it to reset every single time I turn off my spotify.

Hello?

rstanley41
Casual Listener

They won't respond to this and they're not going to change this behavior, IMO. I would bet it's viewed as something like "an essential part of the social experience of our service." 

Rock Star 22
Rock Star 22

I don't get it.

If you turn off facebook sharing, spotify sharing and scrobbling in the Desktop app you are actually in a permanent private session. That's all selecting Private Session does anyway.

If you're worried about your facebook friends, just create a new spotify account with an email and don't link it to fb. It's definitively more private that way.

osorniosRock Star 22
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
SUGGESTED POSTS