Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

How can non-Facebook Users Locate Facebook Users?

How can non-Facebook Users Locate Facebook Users?

I am new to Spotify, so my account is linked to Facebook and my "username" is an arbitrary series of numbers.  Some of my friends, who are older users with custom usernames, have opted NOT to connect their Facebook accounts with their Spotify accounts.  I know that I can search for them if I have their usernames by using "spotify:user:username" in the search bar.  Since they are not alerted when I add them, how are THEY supposed to locate ME in return?  Is the only way for them to search for me (searching by spotify:user:username), plugging in my random numerical "username"?  Or can they locate me by searching with some other, more rational identifier (like my full name or email address)?  (As a side note: I had intentionally deactivated my Facebook over a year ago because I do not care to use it, and was forced to reactivate it in order to use Spotify.  In order to maintain my privacy, I had to dramatically alter the contents of my Facebook page since you forced me to make it active.  This was extremely burdensome, and I despise forced Facebook integration in general.)

7 Replies

Hi wildchild22 - Welcome to the Community (and to Spotify). 

So yes, the only way for your friends to locate you would be via "spotify:user:username" as you mentioned. You can find your 10-digit username easily by just signing into your profile page

If these friends were to link their Spotify accounts to Facebook, they could also locate you in the 'People' section within the desktop app. 

Of course, if you'd like to see some new features in the Search function pop over to our Ideas Board. We keep a close eye on those threads to gather feedback from you guys. 

or have them add you & send you a track, then in your inbox click on their name to add back. 

I cannot find a friend that doesn't have his account connected to facebook. I tried spotify:user:"his username" but it gave me a red "Load User Error" bar and "Unknown User" in the box. Please help.

@ravenuser wrote:

I cannot find a friend that doesn't have his account connected to facebook. I tried spotify:user:"his username" but it gave me a red "Load User Error" bar and "Unknown User" in the box. Please help.

Hey 🙂 

Are you doing this on the desktop application? 

Have you tried just searching again, sometimes i get an error and then search again and it works!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

i have to agree with this person who is frustrated by the facebook issue. i'm often amazed at how the most basic thing, for spotify, seems to be absent. i don't even know what this spotify.user.username search is. my bf is in london and joined as a free user today but can't locate me nor i him. he doesn't have a facebook account either and it seems absurd to me that spotify makes certain things so difficult. wtf spotify?

i also love how on this message board you can give kudos to a post but have no quick option to say "this wasn't helpful at all".

He can find his username in his account overview. To be honest, the simplest way is for you to share a playlist with him which he can follow and follow you at the same time. Just send him the spotify link to one of your playlists (right click on the playlist and copy spotify URI) by email or whatever you use to communicate.

Once he has followed you, you will find him in your list of followers and follow him back.

Suggested posts