Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Labels abusing an artists rights?

Labels abusing an artists rights?

Hi,

This is a situation that really doesn't matter too much anymore but I thought I'd bring it to light.

A few years ago a new label, run by a mate, offered to release an EP of mine. He said he would get a contract in place but never did. He then distributed my music across Spotify, Itunes etc. At the time my track went to #52 in the dubstep charts and many friends said they bought it in support - so I know it must have made some money.

However, the label then basically blanked me, wouldn't even give my statistics even after the first quarter (initially he postponed by saying "wait till the first quarter"). It's maybe 5 years later and I haven't seen a penny, not that I mind, but I'd love to have known how the track did in terms of statistics. Spotify wouldn't help me as I needed to go through the label. 

I find it quite absurd really that an artist has virtually no rights if a label doesn't allow it. There was no contract in place so technically my music was sold illegally.

The EP in mention was "Trollah - Soon". Very terrible production in hindsight but at the time I was very proud of it and it is a shame to not even know the stats.

What can an artist do in a case like this? It seems labels have all the power even without a contract. 

1 Reply

Hey @Trollah, welcome to the Spotify Community!

Without a contract, what your friend/label did was most definitely breaking copyright law by illegally distributing the music that you had rights to. You could legitimately sue him over this if he doesn't pay. Labels only get whatever rights are laid out in a contract, and you as an artist can always choose to not sign.

Please let me know if you have any questions 🙂

Suggested posts