Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Other] Account/app language and region

[Other] Account/app language and region

My first language is English, I live in Belgium and I am currently on holiday in Spain.

Right now, my account and email communications are still in Dutch, and I can't change it to anything else except French, yet the Spotify app on my phone and laptop is in English, and now I've been forced to change my region to Spain. (The Dutch bit is not actually a problem as it is my second language, but for the sake of uniformity I'd like all of Spotify to be in the same language for me, English, and region Belgium, where I officially live)

So, will it be possible to manually and permanently select one region/language, no matter where you are in the world? People do move around temporarily you know?

Because of the Apple M1 app debacle I cancelled my premium subscription, so now I'm hearing and seeing ads, in Spanish. This is really logical and effective, considering I don't speak nor understand Spanish. So does the same thing happen when a German who doesn't speak Greek goes on holiday in Greece?

If the way the upgrade to the native M1 app was handled is anything to go by, I don't expect much when it comes to the topic of languages/regions, but I thought to put this out there anyway. To be honest, as long as my choice in music plays, I don't really care much about these language issues.

3 Replies

Hi there @eurohillim,

thanks for reaching out !

Unfortunately, there is no way to change the language of the emails you receive, that is determined by the country of origin listed on your account.

If you'd like to implement changes on your devices or apps:

- The language of the Spotify app on Desktop can be changed from settings

- The language of the Spotify app on mobile depends on the language settings of the phone (for Android)

- On some iPhones you can change the language of each app

In addition, if you wish to change your account's page language you can change the lit by scrolling all the way down and clicking on the little planet icon.

Let me know if you have further questions 🙂

The app on my phone and desktop are both in English, which is perfectly fine. Now I have scrolled to the bottom of the web based account page and selected UK English, but I'm now quoted 10 Pounds a month for Premium and not 10 Euros. I would prefer to pay in Euros, because said currencies are not the same.

I guess what I'm asking is if Spotify can add Belgium(English) to the list. No, English is not an official language in Belgium, but I promise you there are 1000's of expats and other foreigners living there who are not yet fluent in the official languages. I see English is offered in other countries where it is not official, such as Mozambique, where Portuguese is the only official language. Anyway, I will keep Belgium (Dutch), because I do in fact speak the language and don't actually mind Dutch emails.

But again, I would also like to know if I can select 'Belgium' as the region, as seen in the screenshot. I'm only on holiday in Spain but would like to be able to keep track of my favourite Belgian artists and 'best of Belgium' playlists. Should I ever move permanently to Spain, then yes, I may want to change it to that. In the meantime, there are a few Belgian TV stations that broadcast online anywhere in the world, but you can only watch if you can prove you live in Belgium, which is done by sending a verification text message to a Belgian cell phone number. Can Spotify do this too?

If we can take care of the above I may well consider going Premium again, because I travel a lot to other countries mostly for seasonal work and don't necessarily want to have to keep changing Spotify regions.

Screenshot 2021-10-16 at 14.40.42.jpg
Screenshot 2021-10-16 at 15.04.24.jpg
Screenshot 2021-10-16 at 15.06.03.jpg

Hi @eurohilli,

The country of your Free account must match the actual country you're currently staying at for more than 14 days.

In order to read more about Spotify's Premium subscription, i'd recommend checking out this support article.

Once subscribed, the currency of you payment will be according to the country listed and the matching payment method from that same country - you will also be able to change your account's language as mentioned in my previous post.

Let me know if you have further questions 🙂

Suggested posts