Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playback artifacts

Playback artifacts

Hi.

I'm unsure if this is the right place for this topic, but I couldn't find any threds for musicians.

Anyway, I'm an artist and am planning on releasing my music on Spotify shortly. At the moment I have some music on Soundcloud and the other day I noticed that one of my tracks got some weird artifacts on one part. I first thought this was due to the normalization, but after normalizing myself and lowering the limiter during mastering and using dithering etc. I still experienced the same problem. I read the following on Soundclouds help section:

"Sometimes our transcoding system can create audio artifacts, as we transcode all tracks to 128 kbps mp3 for streaming playback. Uploading a lossless or high-quality lossy file will usually reduce these to a minimum, but unfortunately there's not much we can do for the handful of individual tracks that are still affected."

The reason why I'm asking this is of course because I don't want to get artifacts on my tracks on Spotify. So my question is, how does the transcoding work when tracks are uploaded to Spotify? Will I still get the same artifacts? Are there any good tips in general on how to eliminate these?

For reference, here is the song I am referring to, artifacts occur at around 1:26 http://soundcloud.com/music-donkey/butterflying

Thanks a bunch,

Sebastian

5 Replies

Hi Sebastian,

I'm not really in the position to answer this. I would definitely suggest popping an email over to the label team. Just follow this link and fill out the form: http://www.spotify.com/work-with-us/labels-and-artists/label-contact/

They'll get back to you as soon as they can. They're good guys.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Ok thanks I'll check it out!

Just popping my head in to share my somewhat limited knowledge.

Aggregators generally require a certain standard of audio file to be uploaded to them. Here's an example from one such aggregator that provides content to us -

- WAVE, 16 bit, 44100Hz, Stereo only,
- Windows Media, 'lossless format' only,
- MP3, 320 kbps, CBR format only.

Sometimes some weird stuff does get through the net, but generally artefacts tend not to appear. Resubmission generally solves this, however.
Airhorn Enthusiast

Ok I usually use:

AIFF, 24 bit, 44100Hz, Stereo
MP3, 320 kbps

Thought I would be sending the files in as good quality as possible (AIFF) so that shouldn't really be an issue I suppose.

I've sent emails twice to the labels contact team and still have not received an answer. How long does it take before they reply?

Suggested posts