Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Premium Account Cannot Log into Developer Site

Premium Account Cannot Log into Developer Site

I can log into my Spotify premium account on my Windows and Linux desktop, this website, and my Android phone (all using my Facebook credentials).  However, when I try to log into the developer site I receive the error message "Incorrect username or password."  I have tried using both my Facebook username as well as my numeric user ID.  I would really like to develop using libspotify, but without an Application Key I obviously cannot accomplish this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20 Replies

Self bump, tried again today problem persists.

Bumptacular!

I did that after right after i posted the second bump, if i hear back from the support team I'll be sure to post the solution here.

I really hate doing this, but I really would like an answer...to the bump-mobile

I will gladly bump uglies (pun intended) with whoever solves this.

I've figured it out!  Since your account is linked to Facebook, you won't be able to log in with your Facebook details on the developer site.  There is another way.  First, it may sound odd, but you'll need to create a device password for your account by going here:  https://www.spotify.com/help/faq/devices/connect-devices/ .  Once you're on that page, click on the link that says "here" at the end of the bolded sentence in the middle.  You may be asked to log in again using Facebook.  Once you've done this, it will show you your User ID, which should be all numbers.  If you haven't already, take a note of that, because you'll need it.  After you've done that, click on the button that says "Send e-mail to set password."  Check your email, and before long you should have an email with the subject line of "Your Spotify Device Password."  Open it, and click the "Set your device password" button.  You'll then have an opportunity to set a password.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to use a different password than you use for Facebook.  Once you have completed that, you should get a message that your password has been set.  Head over to http://developer.spotify.com/ and log in using your numerical User ID, and the password you just created.  It should allow you in, and you should be able to request an API Key.

Let me know how that works!

WOOT, thank you so much.  That worked like a charm and I would have never thought to do that.  My offer to make sweet, sweet, nerdy love to you stands.

I'm glad to hear it worked for you!  It isn't particularly intuitive, but whatever works, right?  Hmmmm...I might have to take you up on that...perhaps if you're ever in town! lol  😉

I hope I'm not doing anything wrong by posting this here...

I've recently acquired a developers account on spotify. yet when I try to log in on the developers site (developer.spotify.com) it doesn't recognize my account name or password.

next to that, I followed the tutorial found on this site. But my Spotify never seems to find the app I'm working on.

does anyone know what's wrong? I've tried re-requesting my developers account a few times already, nothing changed.

Hi Whase - I've just moved your post over to this more relevent thread for you. 

Please have at jvanderb's solution above. What you'll need to do is retreive your Spotify username and password from this site.

Let us know how that works for you, thanks! 

Wow, I've been looking the whole afternoon to find a solution on how to access the dev site. Thanks to you, it works now.
Now you should really tell your web designer to put a hint on the developer site on how to log in if you only have a facebook/Spotify account 🙂

Gents, so sorry for this inconvenince. We are working on fixing this.

Hi

Well the link i get on email doesnt work, any ideas?

Hi erika- The password link can take up to 48 hours to reach your inbox. When did you first request that email?

Please note the more often you make the request the slower the process is as well. If you still haven't received an email within 48 hours, please get in touch via our contact form (about us > contact). 

@jvanderb wrote:

I've figured it out!  Since your account is linked to Facebook, you won't be able to log in with your Facebook details on the developer site.  There is another way.  First, it may sound odd, but you'll need to create a device password for your account by going here:  https://www.spotify.com/help/faq/devices/connect-devices/ .  Once you're on that page, click on the link that says "here" at the end of the bolded sentence in the middle.  You may be asked to log in again using Facebook.  Once you've done this, it will show you your User ID, which should be all numbers.  If you haven't already, take a note of that, because you'll need it.  After you've done that, click on the button that says "Send e-mail to set password."  Check your email, and before long you should have an email with the subject line of "Your Spotify Device Password."  Open it, and click the "Set your device password" button.  You'll then have an opportunity to set a password.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to use a different password than you use for Facebook.  Once you have completed that, you should get a message that your password has been set.  Head over to http://developer.spotify.com/ and log in using your numerical User ID, and the password you just created.  It should allow you in, and you should be able to request an API Key.

Let me know how that works!

This does not work for me. If I click the "here"-button and sign in (no matter if I use my facebook-account or my spotify-account), I get to the Edit your profile-page. I don't get to set any device passwords and I don't get my User ID in numbers. Any idea?

Hi Kalliban- Have you tried signing into the developer site with just your 'Kalliban' username and Spotify password?

As you didn't join through Facebook you should be able to sign in with your regular Spotify details. 

@meahtenoha wrote:

Hi Kalliban- Have you tried signing into the developer site with just your 'Kalliban' username and Spotify password?

As you didn't join through Facebook you should be able to sign in with your regular Spotify details. 

Hi! Thank you for a fast responce!

Yes, I did try to log in both ways, that is using my Spotify account (Kalliban//*********) or using the facebook-button. None of them worked. When I click on the request key-button on the developer site, I just get a message saying something about the request being sent, but I don't get any key.

It looks like this thread has been dormant for awhile, but the problem still exists, at least for me.  The solution above does not work for me.  When I click the link, I get redirected to a general FAQ page.

After the developer account registration page came back online today, I've tried repeatedly to log in with Facebook as well as another new account I created without facebook, to no avail.

I hope someone can figure out another way -- I'm very eager to get working on a new Spotify application that I think will be very succesful.

Thanks in advance.  Will check back later.

Suggested posts