Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Questions about subscriptions

Solved!

Questions about subscriptions

Hi all..

I have a few "mis-coceptions" about Spotify accounts..

On the comparision page. these are listed seperatly "Take your music abroard" and "Play music from Spotify on your mobile"

Arn't these two the same ?  The only difference, is the device your playing it on,, a computer vs a mobile...

But your still abroard.

Also, can you clear up what "Offline mode" is ?

It sounds like tracks/songs are cached to your device/computer ......  is there is truly no internet....  am I correct ?

Finally, why did Spotify choose .OGG format ?   i.e Better compression than AAC, deter people from playback anywhere. etc.. ?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@mooray wrote:

Hi...

I'm a bit confused - with which (if any) type of account can you listen to music without buying the specific track?

Thanks....

Mooray

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂

You can listen to tracks from the online Spotify catalogue without buying the tracks with any subscription plan, including free. You can view the benifets of each plan by looking at the comparison table on this page.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I am not a member of the Spotify team so I can't offer you an official answer to any of these but I will do my best.

Spotify premium and unlimited allow you to take your music abroad for an unlimited amount of time. This means that not matter where you are in the world, you will be able to use your Spotify account. Free accounts can only go abroad for 14 days before they loose access to playback.

Spotify on mobile is different to being abroad, where mobile refers to mobile devices in this case. To use your Spotify account on any mobile phone or tablet, you need a premium subscription. 

Offline mode allows you to sync and download tracks so that you can access them inside the Spotify client when you don't have an internet connection. 

As far as I am aware, Spotify uses the OGG format as it offers good quality for relatively small filesize. It also has different quality settings which they can use. For example, high quality streaming (q9 - 320kbps) is only available to premium subscribers.

Peter

Peter

Hi...

I'm a bit confused - with which (if any) type of account can you listen to music without buying the specific track?

Thanks....

Mooray

Marked as solution

@mooray wrote:

Hi...

Thanks....

Mooray

You can listen to tracks from the online Spotify catalogue without buying the tracks with any subscription plan, including free. You can view the benifets of each plan by looking at the comparison table on this page.

Peter

Peter

Suggested posts