Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Security breach: someone is using spotify accounts to bot listeners to certain artists

Security breach: someone is using spotify accounts to bot listeners to certain artists

Plan

Premium

Country

Norway

Device

Multiple

Operating System

Multiple

Hi there,
I noticed this morning that my spotify was already being used by someone else. First time for everything, and I'm sure the PW has been compromised at some point. I have since changed the password and suspect that it will no longer be a problem.

However.
I checked then what artist this Web Player (chrome) was playing – very obscure stuff with two followers. Xuobbuhr. The artist Xuobbuhr has only two followers but currently around 16000 listens on all their songs. I think this is highly unusual numbers and points me to that this is some kind of botting. I further went down the rabbit hole via Last.fm, and it turns out that there are several of these artists linked via the related artist function on Last.fm. No to few followers, no artwork on last fm and several albums named random words. Yet consistent streaming numbers for all songs.

Just thought I'll give you guys a heads up that there seems to be some kind of manipulation of listening numbers going on.

Kind regards

My Question or Issue

Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 08.55.42.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 08.55.24.png
3 Replies

Hey @whiite,

Thanks for reaching out.

This has been reported to the right team at Spotify 🙂

Hope this helps!

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I have the same problem, and I have changed my password but it didn't help.
How can I prevent this?

@annaginger,

To ensure that we can offer you the best help that we can, could you please create your own thread? Doing so is easy. Simply select the appropriate board here, and then select “Start a Topic.”

Thank you very much!

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts