Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to find/add a friend whose username I know

Solved!

Unable to find/add a friend whose username I know

Hello!

I have a friend on Spotify, she has no Facebook but I know her Spotify username.

I also have no Facebook.

I managed to subscribe to a playlist of hers (after she gave me its URL).

Likewise, she managed to subscribe to a playlist of mine.

I am unable to find her (I searched for "spotify:user:[her username]"). I get a "Load user error" and it says "Unknown user".

I am also unable to add her if I right-click her username on her playlist and choose "Add this person": nothing happens at all when I try that.

If I go on her playlist and copy the Spotify URI, it shows as "spotify:user:[her username]:playlist:[her playlist code]", so I am 100% sure her username is correct.

Likewise, she added a playlist of mine but is unable to find nor add me in any way.

What are we doing wrong?

Is there any way around this issue?

If it helps, I am on Windows 8 Enterprise, using Spotify version 0.8.5.1356.gd1d40f3a

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@giacomo wrote:

Update:

She told me she managed to find and add me earlier!

She said she just created a public empty list called "Bogus".

She even sent me that list, and I can see it in my Inbox.

But I am still unable to find or add her profile from my Windows client 😞

Does it matter that I am a Free user? Or that I joined Spotify only yesterday?

It shouldn't make a difference what subscription plan you are on. 

So just to confirm, when you click on her username in your inbox you still get a user Load Error? 

I know it is a bit of a pain, but you might want to try a clean reinstallation of the client to see if that improves this, don't worry your playlists and account will be waiting for you when you sign in again. 

Interestingly, viewing her profile this morning I can see her new playlist and you as a Follower of her profile meaning are following her (follow is a feature of the new client if you don't have it yet), and you have subscribed to her playlist. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

12 Replies

@giacomo wrote:

Hello!

I have a friend on Spotify, she has no Facebook but I know her Spotify username.

I also have no Facebook.

I managed to subscribe to a playlist of hers (after she gave me its URL).

Likewise, she managed to subscribe to a playlist of mine.

I am unable to find her (I searched for "spotify:user:[her username]"). I get a "Load user error" and it says "Unknown user".

I am also unable to add her if I right-click her username on her playlist and choose "Add this person": nothing happens at all when I try that.

If I go on her playlist and copy the Spotify URI, it shows as "spotify:user:[her username]:playlist:[her playlist code]", so I am 100% sure her username is correct.

Likewise, she added a playlist of mine but is unable to find nor add me in any way.

What are we doing wrong?

Is there any way around this issue?

If it helps, I am on Windows 8 Enterprise, using Spotify version 0.8.5.1356.gd1d40f3a

Thanks in advance!

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

That is strange, what happens if you click on her username on the playlist of hers you subscribe to? That should load her profile for you. 

Peter

Peter

Hello, and thanks! 🙂

If I click her username on the playlist I get the same identical result as if I searched her: "Load user error" red warning on top, and "Unknown user" in the profile panel below.

Would you mind either posting the username here, or Private Messaging (clickable) to me so I can try? 

It is totally okay if you would rather not do this, I don't work for Spotify I was just going to see if I can load the profile to see if its a service wide issue. 

Peter

Peter

I sent you a Private Message with all the info.

Thanks again for your help!

Okay, just had a quick look, I can find both your those detailed accounts and all of the playlists. 

It is worth pointing out the spotify:user:username search only works on the desktop clients, that is why you get an error on the android app. 

I think the issue with your friends profile might be that she has no public playlists, so her profile is basically blank. The playlist which you linked to does not show up on her profile meaning it must be private. Can you get her to make a blank public playlist just to see if you can then access her profile? 

And yes you are correct, spotify:user:hammeh is me 😉 

Peter

Peter

Ah, thanks for the information.

All right, I will get her to make a public playlist as soon as I can, and I will post the results back here.

Okay, let me know 🙂 

Peter

Peter

Update:

Marked as solution

@giacomo wrote:

Update:

It shouldn't make a difference what subscription plan you are on. 

So just to confirm, when you click on her username in your inbox you still get a user Load Error? 

I know it is a bit of a pain, but you might want to try a clean reinstallation of the client to see if that improves this, don't worry your playlists and account will be waiting for you when you sign in again. 

Interestingly, viewing her profile this morning I can see her new playlist and you as a Follower of her profile meaning are following her (follow is a feature of the new client if you don't have it yet), and you have subscribed to her playlist. 

Peter

Peter

The reinstall just solved it!

Before reinstall I still got the Load User error.

Now she appears normally.

Many many thanks! 😄

You are more than welcome! 🙂 

Enjoy! If you ever have any more issues, just make a new topic and someone will be around to help out! 

Peter

Peter

Hi, when friends try to search for my user to subscribe to my playlists they are unable to find me. Same goes if I try to search for my own username. Since there is no way to enter full name I have become invisible to the Spotify community. Any suggestions for what to do to make it easier for people to find me?

BTW. When I send people a link to my playlists or my user they are able to find it an subscribe.

Suggested posts