Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Username on Spotify

Solved!

Username on Spotify

So I was required to create a Spotify account using Facebook, which is irritiating but manageable.  How do I change my Spotify username?  Right now it seems I must log int to Spotify as my Facebook name (not comfortable with that) and elsewhere it lists my username as a series of numbers. I am not a number! (as quoted by "The Prisoner").  Please let me know how to take care of this. 

Thanks for your help.  In advance.  As they say in the corporate world.

Elizabeth

165 Replies

@celevra wrote:

@jbbr

it is function behind a proxy on windows?

I'm not using a proxy.

Hi everyone - I just wanted to follow-up with this thread. Anyone still having this issue?  

Please be sure you've upgraded your app to our latest version, in addition to making sure no firewalls are blocking your Facebook or Spotify connections.

Once you've done that, please log out and log in again. If you're still seeing those number usernames let me know. 

I installed the newest version available for Archlinux (0.8.3.278) logged out and in again but there are still only numbers.

Yes I am still having this issue like I posted right after the last update. For me it is only account related and does occur on all (for me) available platforms: Mac, iPhone, iPad, Windows

"All Friends" only shows Spotify users exactly like "Friends on Spotify" does. The bar on the right only shows numbers. The search does exactly like described by "Stupify" on the top of page 7 of this thread. When I log off my account and let a buddy of mine log in on the same machine, in his account everything works as intended. When I log on on his machine, everything works not as intended but as described here.

For me this means:

NOT network related

NOT MAC / Win related

but very much account related!

Hi,

i have still issues, only showing numbers, on windows too

I'm on 0.8.3.222.g317ab79d behind cooperate Proxy without facebook blocking

Still having this issue too. Spotify is up to date (v0.8.3.222.g317ab79d), and I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise Edition.

Potentially behind a corporate proxy too; my listens are scrobbled to Last.fm fine, but Spotify doesn't post listens to Facebook when I'm using it at work. As above, FB isn't blocked, and this process works fine from my home network.

Marked as solution

Guys, I figured out the problem for me on Arch linux after a little strace-ing. Essentially, when authenticating with facebook spotify is looking for a certificate named ed524cf5.0 which is not present on Arch. The easy (hack of a) fix for me was:

cd /etc/ssl/certs
sudo ln -s Entrust.net_Secure_Server_CA.pem ed524cf5.0

I'm not familiar with the setup of certificates on different systems, but I guess spotify could start using Entrust.net_Secure_Server_CA.pem directly rather than the symlink (it has the same name on Ubuntu). Or if that isn't guaranteed either perhaps bundling the certificate in the app could work.

Great, thanks! Works for me too on Arch!

That's cool that you found a fix on Linux. Is there a way to translate this solution into something we can apply to Windows 7?

I also have the problem, just numbers instead of peoples Facebook names. Windows 8 here, firewall of windows has an exception for spotify.

I tried to login a couple of times, no change at all. What can I do?

Still in the latest version, no names in the Sidebar. but in the news and the most liked playlists of my friends, there are all names clear. I got a Windows XP (latest Version) and a proxy with port 8080. Tried it by manually entering the proxy and by getting in automatically from the system, changes nothing.Plus, I am from germany.

This thing happens only at work, and only on my Laptop, when iam at work with my iPad, everything is fine, with the same config. And at home with my MacBook Pro, the same, no messing around with the names.

Would love to see the problem fixed!

As with Sladerino on Pg 1, my workplace is behind a proxy but is not blocking any sites (i.e. Facebook is fine). I've tried setting up Spotify with proxy settings, but it seems to make no difference at all.

I'm now getting a mixture of full names, usernames and numbers!

- My Favourites list is showing full names

- The 'real time listening updates' list is showing a combination of full names, usernames and numbers

- The information in the People section from the main menu is showing numbers and usernames

I'm also unable to see music posts to Facebook.

It'd be great if there was some feature in future to choose how you want to see your Spotify contacts - by either username or full names - because to be honest, I'm pretty lost when trying to recognise somebody by their username...

Also: not sure if it's related, but when I start Spotify up at work, the little advert window (the one that appears following login) does not load anything within the window. It just stays as a blank white box. Possibly suffering the same communication issue?

Hello

Just popping in to ask some questions - I know some of you have already mentioned this, but are you running into this issue at home after using Spotify at work?
Airhorn Enthusiast

simply: no 😉

Just returned from work and: No. Neither on the iPad nor on my MacBook.

Thanks guys. Some of our top men just wanted to confirm this.

From their feedback, it seems that if you're experiencing this at work, it may be worthwhile talking to your IT department about the ports they use. Initally, you could ask if the following ports are clear.

78.31.8.0/21
193.182.8.0/21

These are large ports that allow a significant stream through. If your organisation is unwilling to allow use of these ports, the following ports will provide a more restricted flow:

78.31.8.0/24
78.31.12.0/24
193.182.8.0/24

Airhorn Enthusiast

I can confirm to have this issue on my home laptop. I'm Australian, (so that means the issue more widespread than just the hypothesized German version). I have no proxy, or firewall or anything on my network. 

The location where my "Username Numbers" are appearing, is bottom right corner where the ticker-type updating song showing thing is. 

I have the latest version of Spotify, with Windows 7 Ultimate and all the latest updates installed.

I would love to see the issue addressed soon,

Thanks. 🙂

Hi David,

i think a new post would have been better then an edit...

These are no ports, these are ip ranges and i can tell that these ip ranges are allowed through our proxy, because there are no restrictions

Just pinged from my working place through both ports. No probs there, both are open.

Why is sometimes the real name (like in Playlists) displayed and sometimes the number (in the sidbar)? Shouldn't they both be numbers or real names, if there is an issue while resolving the names?

Until yesterday I had no problems. Everything worked fine.

But then I installed the Windows8 RC and now spotify is buggy.

Only the spotify-friends are shown in my friend-list (as numbers, of course 😉 ).

No Proxy

Windows 8 RC

No Firewall (except the Windows-FW)

Suggested posts