Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Viewing non-facebook friend profiles

Viewing non-facebook friend profiles

I'm having trouble figuring out who's accounts I should be able to see on Spotify. I can see Facebook friends fine. Am I supposed to be able to see the accounts of those who are connected with Facebook, but who I am not Facebook friends with?

I ask because a few days ago I could view someone's profile who I now cannot. We are not Facebook friends and never have been. Thanks.

9 Replies

I'm having the exact same problem right now!

I am listening to a playlist made by a non-facebook friend but I don't follow this person nor his playlist. I can't find that person and his playlist anymore, sucks.. Wish the abillity to search for users came back.

So after a bit of experimenting around, I found that if I don't allow spotify access to my friend list, 1) I won't be able to find my fb friends OR myself, 2) my fb friends won't be able to find me, 3) non-fb friends won't be able to find me. However, there seems to be no explicit option to solely prevent non-fb-friend users from locating you on spotify.

Same! I was able to find myself and other non-facebook friend. I haven't
changed ANY settings, the profiles suddenly disappeared. Hope as you said,
it's just a glitch or else I'll be little disapointed. 😕

You can find yourself? I can't and none of the 4 friends of mine that I asked can find themselves. Also, there is this user who I don't follow but whose SoundHound playlist I follow; I can't find his profile by searching for his name either. I can only go to his profile by clicking in the playlist that I'm currently following. 

Same, if I navigate to a profile of a non-FB friend through my followed playlists I can see their profile just fine but searching them returns no results. I also can't search myself (no results). Good to know I'm not the only one with this issue but it is really annoying because I liked quite a few of this person's playlists but now I can't find them anymore 😕

I just figured out a possible solution: search for that user by "real name+spotify" on a browser(chrome, safari, etc.) and you will be able to navigate to this person's profile on spotify web player. Play one of their playlist on the web player and the playlist will be in "recently played" of "your library" section on desktop/mobile app. From there you'll be able to locate their profile but on the desktop version of their profile, if you hold (and I mean you really have to click down and hold) your mouse/trackpad and hover over the name of the person on the profile page (that one with huge font size just above follow button, as if you are dragging the person's name), there will be a numerical series, 12345678 for example. That's the actual username or userID. Then type in "spotify:user:12345678" in search bar of desktop/mobile spotify app, you should be able to go directly to the person's profile.

Let me know if this works for you. I still can't find myself but at least now i can continue to keep close to playlists without having to follow them. 

Also, interestingly, this morning when I experimentally changed the Spotify access settings from my facebook account to stop it from accessing my friend list, logged out and logged back in my desktop app, I was still able to find my friends' profiles by typing their facebook name on spotify and spotify KNOWS this is my facebook friends. It wasn't the case last night. 

Edit: Now Spotify no longer indicates this is my friend any more, but I also can't find them either. Is the friend list access a way of preventing other people from finding a user?

Nice, thank you, that's a good workaround for now. It didn't work for myself either but at least I was able to get to the playlists I was missing. 

Weird about Spotify still being able to access your friends list .... something fishy is going on then. I tried to check for software updates to see if maybe this was caused by some newly implemented bug but no luck.

haha ya no problem. 

Spotify is weird... 

Suggested posts