Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why doesn't Spotify Verify accounts made when people create accounts?

Why doesn't Spotify Verify accounts made when people create accounts?

So I decided to create an account today on Spotify(I was looking for an alternative to BooTube for listening to music). However, when I entered in my email address, I received a: "This email has already been taken/being used(or whatever it says, I am paraphrasing things)" message. The thing is, I have NEVER been on Spotify before today and do NOT have(nor have I ever had)an account. With no access to the account otherwise, I hit the "forgot password" to reset it, so at least I now have control over the account.

HeythereMusicGirl76 was the Username of the person who created the account, which was associated with MY email address here on Spotify. Apparently, the person who used it to sign up, gave themselves a very similiar username as my username on YouTube. I probably wouldn't have been as suspicious as I am, but last Fall someone thought it would be funny to create a YouTube account to upload a couple of childish videos they made in my name as well. I am still fighting YouTube to have them removed(Yes, they are STILL up there today!). I was surprised to find that someone had done it again to do who-knows-what with! I was hoping to see their histroy to give me some clues to their identity, but there is nothing. Any possible history is GONE as I am using MY device/computer. 

Long story short...

Why in the world doesn't Spotify send confirmation emails to people when they create new accounts? It's a pretty simple solution and can save a lot of people from having to report/file complaints for impersonation/identity theft. I(as well as others in the same situation)could've found out about these existing accounts a lot sooner(or better yet, maybe they wouldn't have happened at all as the person wouldn't have received the confirmation email, I would've!). I'm p*ssed. It definitely doesn't leave me with a very good first impression of this site.

*Rant over*

4 Replies

Sorry, I am new here and I hope that I posted in the right section.

Anybody?

Well, anyway I noticed that the info in my profile says that I just registered TODAY, yet when I went to actually sign up for an account today, it wouldn't allow me to do so. I received a: "this email is already in use/taken" message. How can I have just "registered" TODAY if the account linked to my email address has been existing for awhile?

That makes NO sense.

I suggest you contact support so they can help you clear up the email address so that you can create an account

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it, even if it's from a no-reply address.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks Matt, but I have already done that(right after I posted this actually). At this point, I don't even want an account with Spotify. I just want this one deleted. There still has been no response from them.

Suggested posts