Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

data usage

Solved!

data usage

if I understand well, Spotify is based on Peer to Peer, isn't it?

So when I leave Spotify open, it will continue to use data ? Even if I do not listen to music

Does anybody have an idea how much Spotify use data on internet?

* when I listen to music?

* when I do not listen, but Peer to Peer is using it

I can use 35Gb per month and now I'm at almost 100Gb per month (with high cost on top)

thank you

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there.

P2P is removed from Desktop Spotify, it shoult not use Upload anymore much.

Hope this helps in data usage.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

seems 

or stupid question from myself and I should know answer myself

or very difficult questio that nobody knows

🙂

Switched back to BT yesterday as 3 kept dropping out when streaming, but would also be interested to know the data usage figures for streaming by the hour?

Hey,

No one care about this in Spotify office... So I can help.

Spotify use P2P only in Desktop software. In Mobile no P2P. If you have limited internet, try Offline playlists (Only Premium). Download tracks once and you can listen in Offline mode. Also if you use Premium, try 160 kbps Quality - less data usage. On Mobile you can use 160/96 kbps. The 96 kbps is pretty good for earphones or to listen music in Limited Internet or Slow Internet.

Data usage:

96 kbps => 0.72 MB per minute.
160 kbps => 1.2 MB per minute.
320 kbps => 2.4 MB per minute.

Plus P2P usage. P2P is 10-50MB in hour. I don't know. If you listen a lot mainstream, Spotify use a lot P2P.

Thanks that's exactly what I wanted to know.

CHEEERS

Perfect, hpguru, that's exactly what I needed to know, too~!

@hpguru wrote:

Hey,

No one care about this in Spotify office... So I can help.

Spotify use P2P only in Desktop software. In Mobile no P2P. If you have limited internet, try Offline playlists (Only Premium). Download tracks once and you can listen in Offline mode. Also if you use Premium, try 160 kbps Quality - less data usage. On Mobile you can use 160/96 kbps. The 96 kbps is pretty good for earphones or to listen music in Limited Internet or Slow Internet.

Data usage:

96 kbps => 0.72 MB per minute.
160 kbps => 1.2 MB per minute.
320 kbps => 2.4 MB per minute.

Plus P2P usage. P2P is 10-50MB in hour. I don't know. If you listen a lot mainstream, Spotify use a lot P2P.

I played about 4 songs this morning and I used 1500 MB. For me that is about $23 of prepaid mobile broadband. I could've bought an entire album for that.

@activists wrote:

I played about 4 songs this morning and I used 1500 MB. For me that is about $23 of prepaid mobile broadband. I could've bought an entire album for that.

From your mention of prepaid mobile it sounds like you are referring to the mobile app? It's unclear now whether hpguru's statement above about the mobile apps not using P2P is still true - especially for the new (preview) Android app release. See this thread: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Preview-beta-release-app-using-a-LOT-of-data-on-3G/td...

As far as I am concerned this is a bug - Spotify should not be using this much data if you have the 'download over 2G/3G' option switched off.

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

I use a Premium Account and even when I set the settings to "not use 3G", the app still seems to be consuming 3G data??

I used a data traffic monitor on my Android Galaxy 3S and this clearly marked data usage, even when not using Spotify.

Only when I do a full log-off, there is no more usage of data.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks and kind regards,

Stefan

Hey there,

I hope you mean this Android app.

There is bug that cause data transfers even if you are Offline with app. Developers don't know how to fix, at least I believe this, because they are unable to provide fix to this. But they managed to add some links to Spotify site from app settings with update released yesterday.

Way to go!

my info was incorrect.

Marked as solution

Hey there.

P2P is removed from Desktop Spotify, it shoult not use Upload anymore much.

Hope this helps in data usage.

How much data Spotify or similar will use if I download music to Offline this week 320 kbps => 2.4 MB per minute and I have 800 tracks on list (extended) and I have about 72 hours of music? I have received private message. So I tell the answer here with myplaylist example.

What is easiest way to calculate? I mean on my 1 Mbps Internet this surely takes ages, so I will go to use my familiars 4G 10M/10M Unlimited for this. I only need this once for a week, then I will remove the offline, as I like to stream at home country. Is 32 GB enough?

So hour of music is 144 MB. If I 144 Mb x 72 hours of my music, I will get total Data Usage needed to download the list. This is 10368MB.

So about 10 GB? The 32 GB card is enough for most users. It can host about 3,000 tracks at 320 kbps.

To downlaod 10 GB of music on various connections it takes:

1 Mbps - 24 hours.

10 Mbps -  2 hours 25 minutes.

100 Mbps - 15 minutes.

Download time depends on your Internet speed and realibility and also speed of server (for example how fast Spotify can give the data to your connection).

If you go to settings and click "Playback"the first button should be something that says "Offline" when it turns green it means that you are offline

Hello,

Premium member.

Iphone6 with Ios 9.3.1

I've gobbled up 8GB of data from my cellular provider in 2 weeks which is obviously outrageous.

I narrowed this excessive data usage to the Spotify app on my phone using the itermized account statement from my provider based on times of the excessive usage.

Aside from the usual kb needed for habitual listening, it seems that Spotify has started to use (download) data in chuncks of 92'160kb and 184'320kb (!!).  The strange pattern is that the bid usages are either 92mb or 184mb in one shot.

I've tried deleting the Spotify app and re installing it .  This cures the matter for a few days but it has since started again.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated or I'll be compelled to stop using Spotify all together.

Some pertinent info :

-only 1 phone on the account

-listening in automatic streaming quality

-no offline content 

@izzo1971 wrote:

Hello,

Premium member.

Iphone6 with Ios 9.3.1

I've gobbled up 8GB of data from my cellular provider in 2 weeks which is obviously outrageous.

I narrowed this excessive data usage to the Spotify app on my phone using the itermized account statement from my provider based on times of the excessive usage.

Aside from the usual kb needed for habitual listening, it seems that Spotify has started to use (download) data in chuncks of 92'160kb and 184'320kb (!!).  The strange pattern is that the bid usages are either 92mb or 184mb in one shot.

I've tried deleting the Spotify app and re installing it .  This cures the matter for a few days but it has since started again.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated or I'll be compelled to stop using Spotify all together.

Some pertinent info :

-only 1 phone on the account

-listening in automatic streaming quality

-no offline content 

Hi there.

Unfortunately only Offline option will stop the downloading. Spotify on mobile devices downloads every song in one chunk and it will go to the next right before the change -- it'll take a lot of data. Especially when you listen only few tracks and skip some.

Kind regards.

I'm not sure if related, but Spotify on Windows 10 just went on a rampage and consumed nearly 80GB download in 2 days. On this particular PC, I only stream (no donwload for offline) and while the PC was on during the two days in question, I was not using Spotify.

Capture.PNG
Screenshot 2016-11-20 12.30.44.png

Suggested posts