Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

how to move account and history to a new computer?

Solved!

how to move account and history to a new computer?

Plan: Free

Device: PC

Operating System: Windows 8.1/10

I used Spotify Free on a Windows 8.1 computer, and the computer died. How can I move all of the account history and settings (liked songs, playlists, etc.) to a new Windows 10 computer?

I have access to all of the files on the old computer. I've tried copying everything in the Spotify Local and Roaming AppData folders, but that didn't work. My user name on the new computer is different than on the old one, but that doesn't matter, does it?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

ok, so I think I finally figured out what the problem was.

I'd originally created my Spotify account by using my Facebook login, but not sharing any of the FB details with Spotify.  So Spotify didn't have my e-mail address, and therefore didn't recognize it when I tried to use it to reset my password.  And I didn't remember that I'd used my FB login when I set up my account, since it was a couple years ago and I just stayed logged-in.  So to log in properly on my new computer and get my old account back, I just needed to use the FB login option.

I only figured this out after I got a spare computer to boot-up via USB from my old computer's hard drive, and could log back in to Spotify there.  I went to set up or change my e-mail address, saw that it was blank and I couldn't change it; searched for solutions to that, and here we are!

I'm still not sure why the fact that I was set up to stay logged-in didn't copy over when I copied all of my Spotify Local and Roaming data over from my old hard drive, but I guess it doesn't matter much now.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hey @evonhoene ,

Thanks for coming to the Community.

To have the same library and playlists available on other/new devices, you just need to log into the same account that you've used on your other/old device. 

All you need is your username/email address and password. 🙂

Hope this clears things up.

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

ok, so I've done that, but all my history and everything is empty.  What else could be wrong?

Thanks!

Sounds like you're logged into the wrong account. In this case, I'd recommend checking out this support article for info on finding accounts: https://support.spotify.com/article/do-i-have-an-additional-account/.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

MaximSpotify Star

hmm, I get this message:

"Unfortunately there is no email address associated with the specified user. We are therefore unable to send a password retrieval URL to you. "

I'm not sure why there wouldn't be one.  Is there some way to set one?

thanks!

Marked as solution

ok, so I think I finally figured out what the problem was.

I'd originally created my Spotify account by using my Facebook login, but not sharing any of the FB details with Spotify.  So Spotify didn't have my e-mail address, and therefore didn't recognize it when I tried to use it to reset my password.  And I didn't remember that I'd used my FB login when I set up my account, since it was a couple years ago and I just stayed logged-in.  So to log in properly on my new computer and get my old account back, I just needed to use the FB login option.

I only figured this out after I got a spare computer to boot-up via USB from my old computer's hard drive, and could log back in to Spotify there.  I went to set up or change my e-mail address, saw that it was blank and I couldn't change it; searched for solutions to that, and here we are!

I'm still not sure why the fact that I was set up to stay logged-in didn't copy over when I copied all of my Spotify Local and Roaming data over from my old hard drive, but I guess it doesn't matter much now.

@evonhoene ,

Thanks for letting me know.

Are you able to see your saved songs and playlists now that you've logged into Spotify via Facebook?

MaximSpotify Star

Suggested posts