Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add files to playlist makes Spotify crash

Solved!

Add files to playlist makes Spotify crash

Each time I add files to a playlist on my HTC Desire 2.3.3 Spotify crashes. This is very annoying. Who has the solution? Thanx!

31 Replies

Hey, I have the same problem. I did some testing and I found out that it crashes everytime I add a song to one of my offline playlists. It only happens rarely when adding songs to unsynced playlist. I'm running MiUi (custom rom based on Gingerbread 2.3.7) on a Desire S. My internal memory is over 60% free and my SD is over 20% free. I was connected through my home's broadband so I'm sure its not a memory or bandwidth problem. Does anyone have the same symptoms or does it crash regardless if the playlist is offline synced or not? Also, android's built-in crash thingy (E.g the system dialog that tells you the Application has stopped responding) doesn't see the crash, the App just "exits". Other than this problem, the App runs perfectly fine.

@MatteoVega wrote:
Hey, I have the same problem. I did some testing and I found out that it crashes everytime I add a song to one of my offline playlists. It only happens rarely when adding songs to unsynced playlist. I'm running MiUi (custom rom based on Gingerbread 2.3.7) on a Desire S. My internal memory is over 60% free and my SD is over 20% free. I was connected through my home's broadband so I'm sure its not a memory or bandwidth problem. Does anyone have the same symptoms or does it crash regardless if the playlist is offline synced or not? Also, android's built-in crash thingy (E.g the system dialog that tells you the Application has stopped responding) doesn't see the crash, the App just "exits". Other than this problem, the App runs perfectly fine.

This post is quite helpful, but I don't think it should be marked as a solution!

I also experience the issue with adding or starring songs. What does that mean for my experience? Every time I discover a new song I love, it stops playing. When I like something, I star it, or add it to a playlist. It's the worst possible time for the app to crash.

I've been a paying premium customer since I was awarded early access via a Klout perk, and I evangelized Spotify to everyone in my life and social media circles. I still would too, glitches and all, if I wasn't outright ignored by them. I tried to report the issues I was having months ago, which received an auto response that my device was not supported (which is interesting, considering a visit to their site on my phone says it is - I have an EVO). I thought I'd try tweeting them, but they just ignore everything.

I'm sitting tight waiting on this update. If it fixes things, I'm truly ecstatic to continue paying. If it doesn't, I don't know how I can justify continuing to pay to be ignored when I'm paying for a broken service. I'm done with blind faith.

same boat as you. 

totally changed my life from piracy to legitimacy. however, if the app continues to provide an underwheling and functionally defiiant experience, then I'm done. i can honestly say I'm finding more issues with the mobile app as time goes on. today, for example, it just crashes when i play a particular band. i've listened to spotify on mobile for at least 6 hours today, and only with this one band does it crash (it only appears to crash on a particular album). 

frustrated. 

by crash, i mean my phone f'in reboots!!

Similar problem with an HTC Incredible running 2.3.4.

When I add a song to a playlist or star it, I can then play a song for a minute or two and then Spotify crashes. It's a new problem and very annoying!

I have tried reinstalling a few times to no avail.

I have experienced exactly the same problem as you and received the same unsympathetic response back when I got in touch. It's as though they are too big to care about loyal paying customers who helped make them so popular by shouting from the rooftops about the brilliant service Spotify created. I'm upset.
Marked as solution

An crash shortly after adding a song to a playlist or starring something is solved by the preview app: http://www.spotify.com/download/previews/

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Wow, solved a far as I can see. Totally overhauled interface. Response is superb.

Worked a treat for me. Thank you so much! I really like the new interface too. I only have one issue now which is to do with the music not playing via bluetooth after a call is made or received. I hope you can fix that before the beta goes public. Thanks once again

For people who need features from the non-preview app (for me it's Last.FM and Library), the only work-around I've found is to disable sync entirely once you're done offline-ing things.

Even renaming/reordering a playlist (not sure which of the two) compromised my offlined state and forced a full clear/resync.

Hopefully the preview adds these features soon -- I really like the new app, and there's a few albums I forgot to offline which I'd really like to have available again.

Marked as solution

I wanted to take a quick minute to provide an update since my last post and give credit where it is due.

I've been using the new app since it was first released into beta, and I'm as blown away with the experience as I was with my initial experience with Spotify. I stand by my feeling that Spotify listens little to its customers, but as for now I've chosen to continue being a paying member and enjoying all my music wherever I go. So - thanks to Spotify for getting the app right this time!

Suggested posts