Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

After minimizing Spotify, and coming back, it redirects to the Home Screen every time

After minimizing Spotify, and coming back, it redirects to the Home Screen every time

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

Samsung Galaxy s22+

Operating System

Android

Spotify Version

My Question or Issue

So, this wasn't an issue till about a week ago. If I minimized Spotify to look at other apps on my phone, I could come back into Spotify and it would be on the same page I was just at. I do this a lot, letting Spotify play in the background while I switch to social media, mobile games, etc. 

Now, though, every time Spotify is minimized, or if I just switch to another app and come back (not closing it), Spotify redirects to the Home Screen every single time. This is incredibly annoying. 

For example, I like to listen to all the new releases every Friday, often while I'm working. So I'll put one album on, then close my phone because I don't want to be accidentally scrolling, etc. Every time I open Spotify again, it takes me to the home page, so I lose my place where I was in the list of new releases.

I also have a playlist I use often that is a "maybe" playlist, songs I might or might not like. This playlist requires that I remove songs from it after I've listened to them (they either get a like or do not), but are always removed from the playlist. I do this a lot when I'm walking, so I obviously lock my phone. Every time I lock my phone and come back into spotify to remove a song, I have to go find my playlist again because guess what I see? The home screen.

I think this bug happened for a short while last year too. I can't fathom this is working intentionally. But I couldn't find another topic for it in the ongoing issues. So I hope this gets looked at. It's very frustrating.

Repro Steps

1. Log into Spotify on Galaxy S22+ device.

2. Observe that the Home screen displays 

3. Click on a link to any other page (playlist, album, etc.)

4. Hit the "Home" button for the Samsung phone (not for spotify).

5. Observe that the user is now on the Samsung home screen

6. Open Spotify again

7. Observe that the user is shown the Spotify home screen

8. navigate to another page (artist, album, playlist, etc.)

9. Hit the lock screen button on the phone.

10. Unlock the phone

11. Open Spotify

12. Observe that the user is redirected to the Spotify Home Screen

25 Replies

While playing from a playlist on spotify, if I use a different app and then returning to Spotify, it returns to the home menu instead of the current playlist. Is there a setting to keep it in the current playlist?

Premium

Norway

Samsung s22

Hey there @RoffOlsen,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

This is expected behaviour for the app on Android devices. If you navigate through another app while using Spotify and then go back to Spotify by clicking the icon, you will be taken back to the Home page. However, it will not happen if you go back to Spotify from the Overview screen or the screen where you can manage all the apps that you have open at the moment.

Now, we understand if you're not satisfied with this feature. Thank you for the feedback; we appreciate it! We always aim to improve.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Susan_GPModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hey @Caspervanblack,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome.

We appreciate all the feedback you've shared in your post. However, the issue you're describing is expected behavior. If you navigate through another app while using Spotify and then go back to Spotify by clicking the icon, you will be taken back to the Home page. Keep in mind that it will not happen if you go back to Spotify from the Overview screen which is the screen where you can manage all the currently opened apps. 

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use Spotify like you wish to at the moment, but we hope you’ll continue using it and find it gets better in the future. 

Once again, thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it.

Let us know if we can help with anything else. We're always one reply away.

OscarDCModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Is there a way I can submit a suggestion to undo that, then? Because that is not a good feature. It wasn't like that till last release.

Yeah. This just started recently and is a terrible "feature". Having to keep navigating back to my playlist every time i come back to the app is enough to make me abandon the app. 

Chiming in to agree that this change is aggravating. Especially with poor internet connection, the home page takes longer to load than a playlist screen.

When I am playing or editing a playlist, there is no reason why I would want to be taken to the home screen. In doing so, I have to press 2-3 buttons to get back to my playlist. If I ever want to go Home, that's just 1 button press.

I will likely wait to edit playlists until I have access to a desktop now.

Hey @Caspervanblack,

Thank you for keeping in contact.

To make a suggestion about that change, you can submit your idea on our Ideas Exchange board. We'd recommend checking our guidelines before posting it to avoid any rejection. 

If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask. 

OscarDCModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Why the **bleep** do you guys need feedback for breaking a so called "feature" because this is apparently a feature instead of being basic functionality 

I also have this problem. It's insanely annoying. Please fix it

Wait. There is NO way that this was done on purpose. I honestly can't believe this. At least give the option to toggle this on or off? Jesus

Why on earth would you guys change this so called "feature"? Being able to minimize or go to another app while expecting Spotify to NOT force itself to go to the homepage every time I reopen it is literally basic functionality of any app. 

Please revert this change or at least allow people to toggle this on or off. Good Lord. 

To anyone going through this thread looking for a "solution". 

OscarDC is correct in that you must "open" Spotify in the window where you typically close apps. Be it your swipe up gesture or the button. Hopefully this is just a temporary solution and we get back the original functionality of just being able to tap on Spotify when we want to access it again.

I just installed a previous version!

did that fix it?

wait finally! if you minimize the app on the task manager, it won't go back to home, also open it from the task manager again instead of tapping the icon when you need it, it's insanely annoying but hey it works atleast 

I don't know why just installing an older version of Spotify never occurred to me, but my sanity and I thank you! 😂

I just installed 8.8.28.409 and it works great. 

Imma do that too when I'm not busy lol... I'll stick to yt music till then! Thanks though

I have added this in the Ideas Exchange. I recommend people replying to this thread navigate here as well to get it boosted and get this wrong righted. 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/When-minimizing-an-app-and-reopening-it-should-NOT...

I gave it a vote. I hope it gains traction because this is a puzzling "feature" that makes absolutely no sense. 

Suggested posts