Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Airplay or DLNA push from android devices?

Solved!

Airplay or DLNA push from android devices?

Hi Spotify and Community! 🙂

I've been a longtime user of Spotify on the iPhone, but have just bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Android 4.0.4. The feature I currently miss the most, is the possibility of playing music on my mobile device and pushing the sound via Airplay (or DLNA) to my stereo.I know you can just buy a bluetooth dongle, but really bluetooth is in so many ways not an optimal technology for music streaming.

Since Spotify has already implemented this feature on the iPhone, I don't understand why it is not also being implemented on Android? And NO, Airplay is not an Apple only technology. It is free to use, so it really ought to be implemented. It's fine if you wanna use DLNA push instead, as long as we get the possibility of controlling our Spotify music from our mobile devices, without having to turn on our computers or similar.

I hope you will be able to implement this feature in your current Android Preview app. Thanks a lot for a great product! 🙂

----------------

Thank you so much to the user Soady for the solution. Install the app AirSpot and everything works. So awesome! 🙂

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

There now a way to send Spotify to an airplay device on android. There is an app that does properly. The airplay device becomes visible as target in the Spotify connect screen. Install Airspot.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

I would be so happy to see such a feature, but I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. First of all, Airplay IS Apple only technology, 3rd party manifacturers have access to it only through commercial agreements. The reason why some softwares can act as an airplay audio sender/receiver is because the protocol have been reverse engineered, and the private keys for both the sender and the receiver part have been exposed. Moreover, Spotify did little to implement it on the iPhone, it was Apple that updated its whole audio stack. The same thing applies to Android, unless Google updates its (crappy) audio stack on android with a similar feature, I don't think Spotify will do the whole work.

16 million songs, but no way to sort them.

Please... This is a must have!! Man Sad

Pretty sure there is a post in the Ideas forum that covers this already. If you search and find it give it a +1 - Spotify is more likely to develop a popular idea request
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Bluetooth audio is not what it used to be a couple of years ago:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2012/01/18/ces-2012-apt-x-bluetooth-update

If you have å Galaxy s3 you should be all set, but airplay would still be easier to manage.

There is an sdk available for android. So all the difficult work is done... Spotify jsut needs to start using this SDK...

http://zapstreak.com/

Not strictly true,  see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPlay

but spotify could if they wanted, make Airplay available on Android

There is an App calles AirAudio in the Playstore. This App is able to stream all audio-sources to your Airplay-Receiver.

These App costs 5€ (but you can test it for free) and needs a rooted device.

Ive been spotify paid since I dunno years. Say a few months before it became available on Android. Long time.

I have my own server and it is using dlna, amongst other standard streaming formats, and I am going to throw my audio chromecast in the bin, I haven't used in a while now.

The point is to only have one jack socket for everything. You will conform or you will not exist. Not in my house, and no longer from my bank account, you dig?

Support a proper open streaming standard or watch your company plummet. I am not alone.
Marked as solution

There now a way to send Spotify to an airplay device on android. There is an app that does properly. The airplay device becomes visible as target in the Spotify connect screen. Install Airspot.

@soady wrote:

Soady, thank you VM for the info. 

Been waiting for such a long time, and finally... 

Airspot is the answer - No root required. Purchased mine :). 

You hero. Finally. Thanks a million!

thanks this worked for me as well! great workaroung - but still think that google could add this to android....

Suggested posts