Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Media-style notifications are broken

Solved!

[Android] Media-style notifications are broken

Is the "Media-style notification" broken for anyone else? Since about a week ago I now

• no longer see the large album art in the notification, and
  • no longer see the album art on my lock screen.

I believe it's because they changed the number of action items in the notification bar. Android Media-style (in the support library) allows you to put up to 3 action items on the notification. If you put more than 3, Media-style fails and it reverts to ordinary notifications. Spotify recently switched from 3 action items (rewind, play/pause, fast-forward) to 4 action items (add to My Music, rewind, play/pause, fast-forward), so I think this is what caused the problem.

I'm on Android version 6.5.0.1816, Android v6.0.1

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I talked with Spotify about this awful design and actually I thought this was a design glitch. So I told them that I've found a glitch for S. Galaxy Note 3 devices, at first glance they also thought it was an error and investigated it. Hopefully they'll come up with a better design. At least I want to switch back to the old one it was awesome... Also sadly I can't downgrade to the previous version that didn't have this horrible design.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hi. I still get the small album cover in the notification and on the lockscreen so that can't be it. I think they removed the 'x' to close to be able to add the back button for those folk who couldn't fiind it in the expanded notification.

For reference, here's what my notification looks like now:

spotify notification.png

It used to look more like this (image taken from internet):

Spotify-notification-controls-1-2-645x535

Do you still get the large album on the left (as in the second photo)?

Ah no, it's shrunk and the notifications are no longer expandable 😞

Hi! I'm using the Huawei P9 and this was how the notification looked in the version 6.1.0.1088 armV7.

Version 6.1.0.1088Version 6.1.0.1088

And after I updated, it looks like this

Version 6.9.0.1212Version 6.9.0.1212

According to Spotify (I talked with them through twitter) the notification will be shown in different ways according to the device, and they keep telling me that this is the way the bar should be shown, but I think is an awful desing.

I decided don't update the app until they change this design to something better

Marked as solution

I talked with Spotify about this awful design and actually I thought this was a design glitch. So I told them that I've found a glitch for S. Galaxy Note 3 devices, at first glance they also thought it was an error and investigated it. Hopefully they'll come up with a better design. At least I want to switch back to the old one it was awesome... Also sadly I can't downgrade to the previous version that didn't have this horrible design.

Suggested posts