Announcements
Current information of our Google Nest Mini Offer can be found here.

Android client update (unofficial info) (ICS)

Solved!
Highlighted

Re: Android client update (unofficial info) (ICS)

Spotify Legend
@overfloater Fair enough. I think this is a great idea. I've added the "Community" adjective to the Founder rank to avoid confusion.

Cheers.
Highlighted
Solution!

Gig Goer

I moved to Rdio, so glad, they have been 4.0 ICS complient since the beginning.  

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Roadie

I'm seriously shocked that a company in this day and age, whose business is based on pushing technology into a Music industry that has been avoiding it for years, doesn't understand the need to keep up-to-date on the mobile applications. Especially Android, which has a bigger install base than iPhones. And it's shocking that they don't understand the need to communicate with their customers. Are they trying to lose customers here? I don't get it.

Highlighted

Hi guys,

Just want to give my 5 cents 🙂

I am running ICS (4.0.2) on Galaxy Nexus with newest Spotify Client fetched manually from m.spotify.com (not the market). I am not sure if there may be a version difference somehow, but on my phone Spotify works okay, except for a few minor points:

1) Lightly messed up graphics for the center Play-tab. Nothing annoying though, just a bit cosmetic ugliness 😉

2) Random crashes and locks and sometimes even phone restarts. I have yet to confirm if this is actually Spotify or maybe my Avast protection messing with Spotify making it crash.

3) Sometimes the app does not move onto the next rack on the playlist, but is fixed easily with a light swipe on the screen 😉

Basically my experience is that Spotify works on ICS, but is a bit unstable at times. I am hoping that Spotify might patch the existing version to fix the 3 points above, but my hopes are unfortunately blackened by the fact that as a developer I know the mentality already that developers would like to focus on the "Epic Rewrite" 😉 ..... But still crossing my fingers for a quick-fix for the existing version so we won't have to wait ½-1 year 😉

Highlighted

Roadie
I now have problems too. Especially the "stuck in offline" problem. This really sucks. Spotify startet in germany last week. I waited some time for it to start, tried it and i liked the **bleep** out of it. Especially how the client is build and the apps integration is really a step forward. Now, one week later i have problems with the desktop client (fb friends dont show up) and the android client has massive problems.

So after one week my opinion changed from "wow this is so awesome, i will tell all my friends" to "Disappointed because they have buggy software".

Would be a problem if this was really a fresh start but from this forums i certainly sounds if the problems are much much older and still not patched.
Highlighted

Roadie

Remove the Facebook connection at both ends and try to reconnect again. The Desktop softwaer isn't at all buggy, it's very stable.

When even Spotify themselves admit their Android app sucks, there is a problem.

Highlighted

Regular

I just sent this to them:

"I'm running Android version 4.0.2 (Ice Cream Sandwich) on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus and the Spotify app instantly closes after launch. It has been doing this for the last week and hundreds or even thousands of users have reported this in feedback on the Android Market page and Spotify forums so why has it not been fixed yet? I only pay for premium membership to use this on my mobile device. Will there be a fix in the next week or within a month? When is it due? If there isn't a fix coming before the end of the month then I would like my last premium membership payment refunded. I'm sure I'm not the only customer that feels this way either."

Let's see what response we get....

Highlighted

Roadie

It looks to me like they are sitting it out, until the new version is ready. Seems to be a popular method for big companies these days. 😞

Highlighted

I'm a pirate. Not very proud if it, but it is who I am. Yarrr came Spotify with the hidden treasure of all times, behold ALL the music at one place! Thy it cost no more then a small goldcoin every now and then. Worth every grams of gold. But yerr got sloppy and didn't care for my cries. I was angry, my crewww was angry.

But seriously, in this picture, the girl is iUsers, the pirate is me (or other android users as well) and the white whale are some (SOME, by all means not all..) leaders within Spotify who gives a crap about android users. And yes I canceled my Spotify subscription and replaced it with what.cd and waffles.fm Smiley Happy mp3/flac files with stock player works far better than Spotify on the android

Am I mad? Yes. Have I been patient and endured the techsupport answers with implied facepalms (try to reset spotify is the oldest jokes ever)? Yes. Am I technically stealing from the artists by pirating music? Yes, but I will gently puff that responsibilty over at Spotify. Will I return to Spotify when the android version is _perfect_? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

true

Highlighted

Roadie

@ Dev0: Any further update?

This thread has turned into yet another Android rantfest :-(.

SUGGESTED POSTS