Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Are downloaded playlists stored as Apps or Audio in Storage?

Are downloaded playlists stored as Apps or Audio in Storage?

I am getting the new S4 (probably) and am worried about the internal storage capacity so I have a quick question: When you download a playlist and check storage which catagory are the downloaded files stored?  I had like 350 songs downloaded, checked storage and took a screen shot, then undownloaded the songs and checked storage again and all the vaules were the same so I am wondering what section of Storage these files are stored under.  Also, does spotify allow you to download the songs to external memory?

5 Replies

Hi,

When you sync songs, they are stored by Spotify on your phone; but they are encrypted so that only spotify can play them. This is simply to protect against piracy. So you won't be able to see the files I don't think.

Spotify android either syncs music to an SD card or internal memory. It decides based on which one has more memory available in it. So if your SD has more space, it will sync to that. There is an idea for an option as to where to save files here.

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

I dont really need to look at the files at all, just wondering how Android handles their location - if they are categorized in the Apps section or if it is categorized under Audio

Pretty sure it's apps, since it's not stored in your music directory. Nor are there actual music files. Spotify saves it in the app's cache directory I think, where each song is split into several files then encrypted.

actually after i downloaded and undownloaded i noticed the category Android stores the songs under is "Cached data." to double check i cleared the cache and the downloaded playlists went bye-bye

Yeah I mentioned cache. Forgot there was a "cache" category. It's really stupid since sometimes I want to reflash another ROM and want to keep my playlists. (3gb is a lot to download for a flash-a-holic)

Suggested posts