Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[BUG] Spotify wrongly complains about insuficient disk space

[BUG] Spotify wrongly complains about insuficient disk space

THIS IS A BUG! SEE LATEST POST!!!

I have this exact problem: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/Offline-Sync/td-p/23713

The suggested solution did not work, since Spotify didn't react when i hit the hw menu key, hence I'm unable to cache more than a few playlists of moderate sizes.

For various reasons, this renders Spotify close to useless for me, which is a shame.

I'm using a Galaxy S4 with Cyanogenmod 10.2, and I have > 10GB free on the "internal" sd card, and > 60GB on the external.

I'm a Spotify Premium customer, and my Android Market Spotify version is 0.7.4.610.gd7332b3.

Please advice.

-HDL

P.S. Cache location really should be an advanced setting for users to tweak. Who are Spotify to make assumptions of which SD card I want you to fill with 7GB of data? Especially when people, i.e. myself, encrypt one of the sd cards, and still absolutely do not want to waste cpu cycles on decrypting a music cash?

16 Replies

That's a pretty old thread. Spotify now selects the location with most storage space automatically on installation but you need to remove the cache in internal memory if that's where you previously installed. Follow the steps in this post and let me know how it works out.

Hi jw, and thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately for me, a clean re-install doesn't seem to do the trick.

I should have mentioned this in my first post, but when I inserted my new 64 GB sd card, that was what I did, since I read about the auto select feature.

(Hence my "PS let me decide" rant in my first post.)

-HDL

OK, try this.

• Clear the cache in spotify settings
  • Uninstall spotify app
  • Reformat the external SD card using the phone utility
  • Search for any residual spotify folders and delete them if they exist - in particular com.spotify.mobile.android.ui which is usually located in \Phone\Android\data\
  • Redownload and install spotify

Hoping this will work. Let me know either way 🙂

Hi jw. That is going to take some time to get done, but thanks for the tip, and I'll be back 🙂

Didn't help. I uninstalled and deleted absolutely everything called spotify, then reinstalled. Changed nothing.

As far as I can see, Spotify even started storing music on the external sd card (I found the spotify-cache in a data folder at the external sd card), but that doesn't help.

I also have 9GB free space on the internal sd card, and 59GB on the external.

THIS IS A BUG!!! And it's not just me:

Google Play comment: 

Can't recognise sdxc 64gb class10 fat32 64kb cluster Even with 3gb free on the internal and 36gb free on the external it still says there aren't any sdcards to find... Nvidia shield

I have almost the same setup. Galaxy S4, 64GB class 10. But not fat32 (I think), and a lot more free space.

I see that is has worked for others, but it has not worked for me. And I've thrawled my storage for hints of spotify and deleted all I could find. So this did NOT work for me:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/Android-Troubleshooting-Spotify/m-p/130096#M7791

Please advice, or I'll have to use another app.

FYI, this does not to be the issue with my phone, since I'm still using Jelly Bean, and not Kit Kat:

http://beranger.org/2014/01/30/how-kitkat-4-4-killed-android-and-google-keeps-screwing-things/

Also, this seems to be the same, or a related issue:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/BUG-REPORT-Unexpected-quot-no-space-left-on-this-devic...

More version info:

Phone: GT-I9505

Android: 4.3.1

Kernel: 3.4.0-cyanogenmod.... (2013-12-05)

CyanogenMod: 10.2.0-jfltexx (2013-12-05)

This issue started after I switched from my old 32GB SD card to my new 64GB SD card.

I read that samsung phones have problems unless the external SD card is formatted as standard FAT32. Maybe try that?

You mentioned encrypting the external SD card and I'm not sure this would be supported by Spotify and, for sure, they don't support custom ROMS. I'd suggest reinstalling the standard ROM and, if you still have problems, get in touch with supportIf you get an automated response directing you back to the community or to the help pages, make sure to reply to it directly to speed things along.

My internal SD card is encrypted, not my extenal. So that should not be a problem. I hope.

When it comes to custom ROMs, I don't care. If I can't get it to work on CyanogenMod, I'll

scrap Spotify for sure. Using vanilla Android is getting less and less of an option, with

Google ramping up their "built for our Nexus phone for customer lock-in" efforts.

This issue is probalby solved REAL easy by Spotify adding an expert feature where you

can specify the location of the cache. That shouldn't be too much of a problem, should it?

Also, I've already contacted support, and linked to this thread. If I don't get a response any

time soon, I'll switch music app anyway. Very annoying, since I've been a paying Spotify

customer for as long as they've accepted payment, and I've built quite an extensive list of

playlists over the years.

But thanks for your comments and suggestions 

No worries/ I'd be really interested to hear the outcome, if you wouldn't mind sharing. Can be by PM, if you prefer 🙂

I'll post whatever development here. It's in everybodys interests to see where this is going 🙂

I am getting this too on my Sprint Galaxy S4. Running the stock Kit Kat firmware.

It says i have 16gb and its all full when i try to load local files through the desktop spotify app. But my sd card that is 16gb has over 4gb free on it. This doesnt make any sense.. 

its like its tallying up the used space on the internal and external storage and applying it to only 1 storage device.  This really needs to be fixed so i can play all those songs that you refuse to get in your catalog...

Did this start happening after the upgrade to android 4.4.2? If so, I think you'll find this is a known issue with the latest Kitkat. Hopefully, Spotify or Samsung will come up with a solution.

I am not sure about this. I just got the phone a couple days ago and upgraded to 4.4 right away before installing anything else. 

Does it show 4.4.2 in settings/general/about? If so, it's just a case of using internal storage for now and waiting patiently.

Suggested posts