Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Battery drain bug under ICS

Battery drain bug under ICS

Under ICS Spotify triggers the service "Mediaserver" and makes it go wild.

The service is needed for music-apps, but something is going wrong. Triggered by Spotify, the service drains battery very strong, the cellphone is going hot, you lose per hour about 20%-30% of battery power.

I looked out on the internet, and the problem with Mediaserver is known, and it is not Spotify-exclusive.

Other Stream-Apps like TuneIn-Radio show up the same behaviour under ICS.

So on the first look, you'd say, google has to fix it.

But, i also found this issue in the support forum of Poweramp. They haven't told there that they would fix it, but i am using Poweramp too, and with this app "Mediaserver" shows up normal behaviour. 

So i assume that they have found a solution for this.

It would be great if you guys would look this up too, before releasing the new version. With such a strong drain on the battery spotify is hardly usable. It makes no difference if you are streaming the music, or playing downloaded files, "Mediaserver" is freaking out either way. You also have to kill the Spotify-process when you stop hearing, because "Mediaserver" keeps sucking battery when spotify is running (even if you don't play anything) and prevents the cellphone to go into idle-mode. 

19 Replies

Is this specific to an early version of ICS? Or with a specific phone? Yours is the first post I remember seeing in this issue and it certainly hasn't happened on either of the two ICS phones I have used Spotify with

If you are not already, try the beta preview release - if you are on the full desktop site scroll down and at the bottom of the page you'll see a Previews link
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

I don't exactly know.

I am using Samsung Galaxy S2 with ICS 4.0.4 on CM9, but i have found people with different phones and the same problem.

Like this:

http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/2662-battery-drain/

This one owes a Nexus S with the original ICS-Stock. 

Or google for: battery+drain+ics+mediaserver

The apps in these examples are not Spotify, but it is exactly the same problem, and said, that different music apps can cause this problem.

And yes, i am using the beta-preview, it's happening with the beta and the old version either.

+1

I am running ICS:

Spotify and mediaserver together consumes crazy amounts of battery to the point that I cannot really use Spotify in a sensible way.

Please look into this, I assume alot of people have this issue but are not identifying the source of it.

Also a problem for me on ICS beta, using Sony Xperia Arc S. I'd say roughly 1/3 of the times I use Spotify, Mediaservers goes crazy, but it stops draining battery the next time I use Spotify. A quick google search and I found this that claims it's because of corrupt mp3s?

I think I saw it happen on my Asus Transformer Prime a couple of times too, but doesn't really use Spotify on it, as it doesn't sync... 

Hi,

I'm running my Samsung Galaxy Note with ICS stock (Open Germany). When using the beta, have not tested with older official, my phone gets a serious battery drain AND a serious consumption of data. The data consumption should be low while I'm only playing music from my downloaded (over Wi-Fi) and stored on SD card music. This is seriously strange in my mind...?!? Smiley Surprised

I had the high data usage too ... best explanation was that spotify was using its P2P functionality to help distribute the content - horrible as it was occurring on mobile data even when the 'dont download on 2g/3g' option was selected. I really hope this is fixed now but haven't confirmed yet
----------------

I had the high data usage too ... best explanation was that spotify was using its P2P functionality to help distribute the content - horrible as it was occurring on mobile data even when the 'dont download on 2g/3g' option was selected. I really hope this is fixed now but haven't confirmed yet
----------------

Same happening to me on HTC One X, ICS 4.0.3

If you have the high data usage issue can you comment on this thread as the larger the thread the more chance Spotify will take notice : http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Preview-beta-release-app-using-a-LOT-of-data-on-3G/td...

Cheers

----------------

I have not use Spotify today and still Spotify has today used 1/3 of my battery. Galaxy Tab 7.7., ICS. Latest Spotify from Google Play.

Until this is fixed, the workaround is to simply log out of the app if you are not using it.  I tested it on my Samsung Galaxy S2 and the processes were stopped when I logged out.  

Hope that helps.

Hi,

I am running a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Anrdoir ICS (4.0.4).

When closing (well, there is no close option in Spotify anylonger, and it does not fully closes down when pressing "back" until it goes away) there is an audio service keeping the phone awake ALL THE TIME draining the battery. The only way to get rid of this is to start spotify again and then close it with a task killer (or, as anyone mentioned above, to log out from Spotify).

Serious issue!

I've spotted the same issue in my Nexus4.

So how about a Fix?

I have the same on my new Nexus and under settings>battery if you highlights Spotify you can "force stop" the app. Think this might help but not ideal...

Got the same problem since I've got the new Nexus 4.

It seems like it's "unfixable" since I need to stay logged in while I listen to music. So there is no way to reduce the communitcation. Since no one posted here with Android 4.2.1/4.2.2 problems, here's my template.

Description

Massive battery drain on "Mediaserver"  while listen to Spotify and as a background process.

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?

- Tried to clear the chache on Mediaserver, wich is inpossible since I use 4.2.2

- Logged off while Spotify isn't in use

- Reinstalled Spotify and used the torubleshooter guide on http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Troubleshooting-Spotify-on-Android/td-p/113082

What I expected to happen

Way less Battery drain

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?

Yes

Your device

LG Nexus 4

Device’s Operating System

4.2.2 JB

What type of account do you have?

Premium

Space left on your device

8 GB

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)

~4 GB

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)

Is your device rooted?

Yes

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

Yes, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2015081&highlight=skank+mako

CyanogenMod 10.1

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

Yes

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Yes

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

My mobile provider and country

O2 Germany

My username

Bronystins0n

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

No

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Facebook login

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

http://s14.directupload.net/images/130222/vcj8ouxu.png

I had the same issue with Mediaserver draining the battery on my Nexus 4 (ICS 4.2.2), and couldn't figure out what was causing it. A couple days ago I removed the Spotify widget from one of my main screens and so far that seems to have resolved the issue.

Hey there!!!

Sad to hear you have problems with battery. I run Spotify on Motorola RAZR MAXX and there is no problems with battery. I can listen Spotify from start to the end of day even when streaming all the time from Internet using HSDPA data!

However I'm tired to my phone (slow Internet - only 14,4 Mbps and I need 21 Mbps - also there is slow ping and dropped calls randomly - the problem in Motorola software). So I purchased new phone Huawei Ascend P1! I will try if I still can use Spotify normally. I don't think there is battery problems at all. Maybe your battery in phone is low quality?

Haha, ye, sure.

Nexus 4, close to 4 weeks "young" has a bad battery. 🙂

Maybe start to develop correctly and stop searching the fault at the costumers.

My report:

Description

Massive battery drain on "Mediaserver"  while listen to Spotify and as a background process.

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?

- Tried to clear the chache on Mediaserver, wich is inpossible since I use 4.2.2

- Logged off while Spotify isn't in use

- Reinstalled Spotify and used the torubleshooter guide on http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/Troubleshooting-Spotify-on-Android/td-p/113082

What I expected to happen

Way less Battery drain

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?

Yes

Your device

LG Nexus 4

Device’s Operating System

4.2.2 Google Stock Rom

What type of account do you have?

Premium

Space left on your device

6 GB

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)

-

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)

-

Is your device rooted?

No

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

No, original Google

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

Nexus 4 has no sd card but emulates one under /sdcard - there is my storage location

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

I installed all Versions of Spotify from the Play Store

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Yes

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

Spotify Linux Preview 0.8.8.323.gd143501e

My mobile provider and country

T-Mobile Germany

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

Yes

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Spotify login

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

No, but exactly the same direction as here: http://s14.directupload.net/images/130222/vcj8ouxu.png (from bronystins0n)

Suggested posts