Can only play podcasts when they are downloaded

Solved!

Can only play podcasts when they are downloaded

Plan Premium

Country USA

Device Pixel 7 Pro

Operating System Android 14

My Question or Issue

I can no longer play podcasts on my phone unless they are downloaded. Sometimes I can start a podcast and it will stop working once I pause it and try to resume later but most of the time I can't play it at all.

It shows 0:00 as the episode duration in the progress bar.

The play button changes but the counter does not advance.

The Spotify app on my computer (correctly) immediately updates to say "Current Playing" with the podcast name and android listed as the device. If I play the podcast on my computer with the computer selected as the device, it works. If I play it on my computer and select my Android as the device it does not work ("Currently Playing" updates but nothing comes out of my phone).

If I select Sonos as my target device it will play regardless of if I start it from my phone or my computer.

This problem does not happen for music regardless of if the music is downloaded (I tried with both downloaded and songs I've never played before).

Once I download the podcast episode, stop it, and hit play again it will start working.

I tried reinstalling the app which let the podcast play again briefly and than froze again after pausing and going to resume.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there @andrewnh,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community and welcome!

We understand this is only happening when playing the Podcasts on your mobile device, right? If that's the case, let's start with the following. First, go to your Account Overview page and Sign out everywhere. Additionally, remove access to all the apps you've connected to your account from here. You can easily reconnect your apps anytime. Once done, log back in and check if that makes a difference.

If that doesn't help, we recommend performing a clean reinstall of the Spotify app by following these steps. This is a more thorough process and can sometimes help. 

If the issue persists, would you mind sending us a video recording of this behavior? You can attach it in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload it to YouTube or Google Drive and make it public.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply!

Susan_GPModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi there @andrewnh,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community and welcome!

We understand this is only happening when playing the Podcasts on your mobile device, right? If that's the case, let's start with the following. First, go to your Account Overview page and Sign out everywhere. Additionally, remove access to all the apps you've connected to your account from here. You can easily reconnect your apps anytime. Once done, log back in and check if that makes a difference.

If that doesn't help, we recommend performing a clean reinstall of the Spotify app by following these steps. This is a more thorough process and can sometimes help. 

If the issue persists, would you mind sending us a video recording of this behavior? You can attach it in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload it to YouTube or Google Drive and make it public.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply!

Susan_GPModerator

"Logout All Devices" seemed to have fixed my phone but now I can't log in on my Mac. I get an error when I click "Continue to App" (see screenshots). The web payer works fine and my Sonos, oddly, never got logged out and still works.

So now I can't listen to any music on the Desktop app but at least my podcasts work 🤣

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 10.21.38 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 10.22.03 AM.png

Hey @andrewnh,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We're happy to hear that the issue on your phone has been fixed! Note that the Sign out everywhere button doesn't affect partner devices like speakers, TVs and consoles, that's why you weren't logged out from your Sonos device.

The error you're seeing now is currently being investigated in this thread, so please check out the Top Answer for a workaround and provide the info requested in it to help us in the investigation.

Thanks!

MihailYModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Thank you. Based on that thread I temporarily changed my default browser and used the new one to sign in and that fixed it.

I also marked the previous post as the Accepted Answer.

Thank you, again.

Hi @andrewnh,

Thanks for you reply and for keeping us updated.

We're glad to know everything is working now. The issue with logging in has been fixed. You shouldn't have any issues anymore. 

If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Cheers!

Susan_GPModerator

Suggested posts