Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't connect to Chromecast audio anymore

Solved!

Can't connect to Chromecast audio anymore

Plan

Premium

Country

Austria

Device

Huawei P10 Lite (my account)

Huawei Mate 20 Lite (account of my wife)

Operating System

Android 8, Spotify: 8.5.11.762

Android 9, Spotify: 8.5.11.762

My Question or Issue

Chromecast Audio worked yesterday, but today it just won't connect. On both Android smartphones. Chromecast Audio gets a "connection" sound, but Spotify fails to connect.  Restarted phones, checked updates, configured Chromecast Audio from scratch. Some Android freeware player has no problems connecting to Chromecast Audio.

I then tried my company iPhone... my Spotify account. And it connected with no problem and now I can "remote control" the Chromecast session on my Android/Desktop.  It seems very likely, there's a problem with this Android version.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I had the same issue on Pixel XL (Android 10) and it works for me by open Spotify Options, and:

1. Force Stop

2. Clear Storage

3. Clear Cache

View solution in original post

39 Replies

Plan

Premium

Country

Canada

Device

Google Pixel 2 xl

Google Nexus 6

Operating System

My Question or Issue

Haven't been able to cast to Chromecast Audio all week. I have 2 Chromecast Audio units, neither one works with Spotify anymore, with both Android phones I use. I see the "Connecting..." status, hear the audio connection sound, but nothing after that, it stays in "Connecting..." status. 

Other apps are working with my Chromecast audios. Rebooted, factory reset on both units, router and modem reset, nothing works. 

Spotify, please acknowledge this issue and give us a fix, your service is of no use to me without Chromecast support.

I think I'm having the same problem: the connection sound plays through my speakers, but Spotify continues to show "Connecting..." and no music comes through.

This is bad, I can't listent o Spotify through my speakers - please fix!

Today the second Android phone could connect, but now my iPhone also failed.

So've contacted support. Cleared all entries in "https://www.spotify.com/account/offline-devices", then Uninstalled app and re-installed on my Android. Clearing app-data/cache wasn't enough. Now it works again. Also on my iPhone, but I didn't do anything there. Perhaps clearing entries did the trick, but needed some time? Who knows. Very strange.

Thanks, that worked!

But Spotify, that's just ridiculous. Please fix Chromecast Audio integration!

Edit: and just one day later, the problem is back. Unbelievable. 

Yup, problem is back. Worked fine for a day or so, then, as I listened over Chromecast and tried to "remote control" via my smartphone, any action (next track) disconnected the Chromecast session and music played over my smartphone. So connected again and used "Google Home" to skip tracks.

Today, it wouldn't connect at all anymore, but in "Google Home" there was still a Spotify session active I could play (playing a different album), but Spotify on my smartphone didn't recognize anything playing over Chromecast. Spotify on my smartphone and Spotify on Chromecast got out of sync.

Using the smartphone of my wife + her account she could take over Chromecast, everything OK. But still not working on my account.  Can't connect. Offline-devices webpage shows no devices. Reinstalling Spotify didn't help.  So, what?

Any Spotify official reads this? After all, I'm paying 15 EUR a month, so some - real - support would be nice.

I am having the same problem. Spotify has been connecting without any issues for months and months and now it stopped! 

I can use my google mini to play Spotify and connect to the speakers. But I can't connect from my android phone Spotify to my speakers. Definitely something was changed... 

😞

C

Why don’t we get support or even a reply for this issue. I’m a premium payer and since I can’t hear the music basically all money is wasted. Can we be compensated for this until the problem is fixed? If so, I can continue to subscribe.

/Xter

And the problem persists. Spotify can never connect to the Chromecast Audio. I have to uninstall the app and reinstall every time I need to connect. 

In the odd time when I can connect, choosing a different track while Spotify is playing will DISCONNECT THE CHROMECAST!!! unbelievable. 

What the **bleep** is going on? Why isn't anyone at Spotify addressing this issue?

i have a similar problem - but for me the connection works when i play songs from a playlist, but not when i play albums from my library. is that also the case with you? or are you not able to connect at all?

I have exactly the same problem. I checked with two android devices (6.0 & 8.1), spotify clients keeps saying "connecting" to chromecast audio, but then nothing happens.

This suddenly happened while listening to the chromecast, with that terrible annoying voice saying "I'm sorry but your spotify thing is being used by another account," and then it went completely silent.

I'm very much surprised that after al those years spotify is still struggling with properly managing audio through chromecast. Not to say that many spotify "updates" of last months sucked big time. *big sigh*.

M

The same over here. Palying Spotify from an Android phone, just the connecting beep and keep on trying to connect. But, it seems only recently added albums show this problem. Any album stored some time ago can be played without a problem (the issue is album dependent)

I'm having the problem with my S9. It just recently got worst, so I updated Spotify and Google Home, and reset phone and router. Didnt help.

But Google Play works just fine with CCA - so definetly a spotify problem.

So how do we  escalate this ?

Maybe they should spend more time supporting customers instead of pushing podcasts down our throats !

I have the exact same problem.

@Spotify How about you hire developers who are actually programmers

why is nobody from spotify answering? there are several threads in this forum about connection issues - but apparently in not one of them, someone from spotify speaks out...

i really don't think #spotifycares about this at all. I even reached out on twitter about this, seems they reply to everyone else but me, must be that this issue doesn't concern them. 

Hello Spotify? please fix this

Same problem. Plz fix! All other apps working, just not the one i really need... 😕

I actually found the same -- playing a song from a playlist (rather than an album) seems to get rid of the flaky behaviour at least temporarily.

But overall things are still wierd, and I get the "your Spotify account is being used on another device" a lot as well.

Spotify has had issues with Chromecast for years. I'm not sure why they haven't been fixed yet. It's like every other app out there that claims to work with Chromecast is just fine, except Spotify, where it depends on the phase of the moon. It's a bit pathetic. 

Thanks for the post about the playlist songs casting without issue. I've been tearing my hair out all morning trying to get my albums casting from Spotify on my pixel 2 to Google's Audio cast. This broke for me today.

Indeed it's the same issue. Songs in albums no longer cast, and yet songs inside a playlist do cast. 

All apps are up to date so the issue is well and truly with Spotify.  They patch one issue only to create two more 😕

Same problem here. Works when cast is started from a playlist, but not from an album.

Even tried removing devices and reinstalling the app, but these didn't work.

Phone is a Redmi Note 7.

Vitor

Suggested posts