Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't set up voice controls.

Can't set up voice controls.

Whenever I'm using car mode there's a constant message on screen saying to "tap the mic to set up voice" but I can't find the mic button anywhere. Tried in the search screen and the settings and everywhere else I could think of. I'm using Android 12 and I've given the app permissions to record audio but that didn't work.

Voice control would be really handy but if I can't activate it is there anyway I can at least stop the annoying message asking me to set it up?

Plan: Spotify Premium Duo
App Version: 8.7.36.905

Phone Model: Samsung Galaxy A32 (4G)
One UI Version: 4.1
Android version: 12

Screenshot_20220602-060915_Spotify.png
17 Replies

Having same issue. Instructions for set up on Spotify website are annoyingly brief. Which microphone icon do they mean? The one on the keyboard? This just opens google voice assist - no prompt for Spotify permissions as stated in the instructions.... I also note that I do not have a 'voice' section in the Spotify app prefences, only 'voice assistants and apps'.

I'm using a Samsung galaxy S21 FE and version 8.7.36.905 of Spotify.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey there @Dom_Morris,

Thanks for the post.

The new Car Mode is still in it's test phase, so some things and functionality might change over time.

From the screenshot you've uploaded I can see that you're in the Now Playing View at the moment. The Microphone icon should be visible while browsing your library or a playlist. It should look something like this:

Let us know if you see this layout anywhere in the menus at all.

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

There's just a regular search button there for me

Screenshot_20220606-182827_Spotify.png

Having the exact same problem as Dom - there is no microphone icon, just the search button. Any help much appreciated as this feature would be very beneficial and make changing track whilst driving much safer!

Me too but I gave Spotify recording permissions via the system app settings, not within the app itself.

Is it that this feature is not available outside of the US (I'm in the UK)?

If so, it seems weird that Spotify is constantly giving me prompts to set up a feature that I don't have access to.

If it isn't available in the UK, when will it be?!

Does anyone have any answer for this at all?!

Still no solution on my end 🤷🏻

Hey folks,

we've dug a bit deeper and @Go_onmyson's assumptions are actually on the spot!

Car Mode is currently being tested in several markets, but the voice functionality isn't available in each one of them. The message to set up voice actually shouldn't appear where that's not available.

Apologies for the prior confusion! We've let the right folks know about this interface issue. As for when and if voice will be available in different markets, we have no info on that. It all depends on a bunch of factors that have to do with processing voice data, so it's more tricky than it might seem at first.

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Thanks for the reply Yordan, although its disappointing to find voice is not available in the UK yet. Here's hoping that you can get it working soon, as that function would be amazing - especially for those of us that like to listen to Spotify on the move.

This was working for me until this week and now it's been removed. Is the feature being disabled? I thought it made the car experience much better.  Will be very disappointed. 

Hey @Absta101,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome.

At Spotify, we're always working to deliver features that our users love. In order to make way for future innovations, we will be removing the current "Hey Spotify" voice feature within our app.

The "Hey Spotify" feature will still be available via Car Thing in the U.S. and users will be able to easily access other voice assistants from our integrated partners on their mobile devices. For more information visit our support pages.

We appreciate your understanding. If anything else comes up, don't hesitate to ask.

OscarDCModerator

Spotify app has access to mic.  I am in car mode.  I see a camera icon where the mic would normally be when in search.  I'm in the U.S.  according to all I've read there should be the voice control but there is not.  Can you explain?

Hey @Wcaokc,

Thanks for posting in the Community. 

Our own in-app voice control feature has been gradually phased out on mobile devices, that's why the mic icon isn't available anymore and you can't see it.

“Hey Spotify” on the other hand, will still be available via Car Thing in the US. You should also be able to easily access other voice assistants from our integrated partners on your mobile devices. For more information on this, visit our support page here.

We hope you found this helpful. 

Take care!

Kiril Moderator

Why would the Spotify's "own in-app voice control feature" be phased out?

I have been a premium subscriber for many years, and the option to voice search just disappeared. It worked very well. Seems illogical and a step backwards. As a general rule of thumb, software providers should never take functionality away. 

They probably realised it was a feature that people actually liked/wanted so they had to get rid of it so they could spend more resources making pointless UI changes and adding new bugs to the app 👍

I have also been a spotify premium user for years and have used the mic extensively when traveling   No more mic?  Time to cancel my subscription as I have other services available that do have it.  

Suggested posts