Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't start the radio station, please try again later

Can't start the radio station, please try again later

Plan

Family

Country

Ireland

Device

LG Nexus 5

Spotify Version

Operating System

Android 6.0.1, Nova launcher

My Question or Issue

I've added my daughter to the family account and repurposed an old Android phone as  a Spotify player. Music is playing fine - searching for  artists and playlists works as expected, but whenever I try to st I art a radio station (from "Go to artist/Go to song radio"), I get the message "Cannot start the radio station. Please try again later" I've Googled the message and found nothing at all, which I find surprising.

A few points:

• Starting a radio from the web player or desktop client works fine
  • I can start the radio station as above on the desktop then switch to the phone and play the tracks on the device no problem - I just can't start the station
  • It doesn't seem to be account related - I have a separate Google (and Spotify) account for myself on the device and I can't start a radio station either on my own account. Radio works fine on my own phone (a Oneplus 3T running Android 8.something)
  • I'm using Nova launcher on the phone, but tried switching back to the default Google Now launcher with no joy

The above would lead me to believe it's related to the hardware or software version on the phone. I can't see how the hardware would have any influence on the creation of a randomised list of songs (this should be happening server side unless I'm missing something), so my instinct would tend to point to some problem with Android.

Any insights would be much appreciated! If I can't get radio to work, it's hobbling a big chunk of what's best about Spotify

3 Replies

Plan

Family

Country

Czech republic

Device

OnePlus One

Spotify Version

Operating System

Android 6.0.1

Probably Solution??

I have rooted Android. When I was logged In to another equipment without "root" (AdAway app. etc.) "Start the radio station" is correct run.

My question is: Is your device rooted too?

Mine isn't rooted in this case. Factory reset, and updated to last stock
Android released for Nexus 5, in this case 6.0.1. I could install a 3rd
party ROM with Nougat or Oreo, but the only function intended is as a
Spotify player so I'd rather avoid the hassle

My problem was solved by upgrade to newest version 8.4.85.1006. Thanks a lot

Suggested posts