Changes to Maximum volume using Spotify Connect for Echo Show

Plan

Premium

Country

England

Device

(SAMSUNG S10PLUS / ECHO SHOW 5 AND 10)

Operating System

(iANDROIDOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

When I connect to either of my Echo Show devices (5 or 10) via Spotify Connect as soon as I try to change the volume using my phone (either up or down) the volume jumps to maximum on my Echo Show. I then am unable to change the volume using my phone unless I close the app and restart it again. This means that I can no longer use Spotify at night for fear of waking everyone up!

35 Replies

Hey there @Nh23

Thanks for getting in touch about this here in the Community. 

Could you let us know if this started happening after a specific event such as an update? 

On another note, it's well worth running a clean reinstall of the app on your phone to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. 

If this doesn't do the trick, would you mid checking if the firmware of your speakers is up to date?

Keep us posted. 

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Thanks for your reply.  There appears to have been a spotify update 12th march so must relate to that.  Echo devices seem to be up to date.  I have done a clean reinstall of spotify and the problem persists. 

Hey @Nh23,

Thanks for your reply and for the info shared.

Would you mind sending us the exact Spotify version you're running on your mobile device? We'd suggest checking if you notice any new version of the app available in your Google app store. If yes, try updating the app. 

On another note, is this happening if you open your account on a different mobile device and use Connect to control the Echo Show devices from there? It'd be awesome if you could check. You can ask for the mobile device of a relative or a friend to open your account and check.

Lastly,  can you send us a video recording of this behavior? You can attach the video in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload it to YouTube or Google drive and make it public, so we can watch it.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi thanks for the reply. I've tried using my tablet and exactly the same thing happens on that. Both my tablet and my phone are running Spotify version 8.8.20.544 which I updated to in the last hour on both devices. I don't know the previous version they were running but the update hasn't solved the problem. I'll see about a video tomorrow.  I am a stroke survivor and problems like this make my fatigue far worse. Plus the noise causes me sensory problems and sets our dog off barking.

I did try recording as you asked but I had terrible trouble with my physical limitations. I did do a screen recording instead but the file was too big to attach. So can I just describe in detail again...

I open the Spotify app on my phone (not sure if it matters how long since last used it).

Choose Echo Show 5 or 10 via Connect.

At this point if i use phone volume button nothing happens.

So i have to press play on the app to  connect properly.

It will play at a reasonable volume (probably my last used volume).

If I now press my phone volume button UP or Down, Quickly or Hold it. The volume jumps straight to Maximum (The in app volume line comes on screen as maximum straightaway too).

If i try to press volume down either nothing happens at all or occasionally it swaps between maximum and zero but nothing in between with each press (again it doesnt matter if I press up or down).

I have to quickly pause the song, shut down the app and restart it.

Then the phone volume button will control the volume correctly at least until I finish that session.

Hey @Nh23

Thanks for your reply.

In this case, could you ask a friend or a relative to log in to their account on your phone or tablet and check if they can replicate this behavior on the Echo devices?

On another note, would you mind checking if the same happens when you try controlling a different device through Connect from your phone/tablet?

We'll be waiting for your reply. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I can connect to any other device without this problem occurring.

With regards to your suggestion  of someone else logging into my device to check...I'm lost...if I log out then log someone else in they cannot see my Echo devices in Spotify connect. I assume there is some sort of requirement to link accounts in my Amazon account but I'm starting to get overwhelmed with this now and will have to stop.

Hi @Nh23 

Thanks for the reply. Consider checking out the following thread about this topic. Our tech team are aware of this behaviour and are working on a fix, but we cannot give an ETA about that at the moment. Please check out that thread and add any additional info or questions you may have there.

Hope this clears things up.

JoanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Noticed a new issue in the past couple of days when playing music through my Alexa devices using the Spotify App on the phone. When music is playing, pressing the Samsung volume down button sets the Alexa to full volume, and pressing volume up sets it to no volume (so the reverse of what you would expect, with extreme values of 0 and 100). Only just noticed it happening in the past couple of days, but the app and the phone are up to date in terms of updates.

Forgot to post the actual point. 

Any idea what's going on here, or how to resolve it? 

Thanks for the reply.  I've read through the post and it doesn't really seem like the same issue.  From time to time i may open spotify again to see if the issue is resolved but for the time being I'll have to look at alternatives to stream my podcasts during the night. 

So I'm glad it's not just me at least! Until they fix it the workaround is....open app, connect to alexa via spotify connect, play song ( volume should be ok), pause song, pres volume button( it will show as jumping to max or mute, close app, open app. Now you have complete control over volume. It's a real pain as if you make a mistake you get hit full volume!!!

Thank you nh23. I'm having the exact same issue on my ultra s23 and your suggestion works for me. I thought it was something with my new phone but it's evidently something with a recent Spotify update. Hope they fix it soon. 

And I thought I am the only one with that issue. I have a Motorola Thinkphone and Echo Studio and I have this ussue now for 3 weeks and it's annoying as **bleep**, especially if the echo jumps from to 100 in the middle of the night! 

Same here, it is a nightmare with the Studio (Pixel 5)

Same problem just started happening to me as well. Volume buttons on my S22Ultra change the Echo Dot volume directly to Mute or Max with just one click. However, the workaround you suggested is working for me. Connect, foreclose Spotify app, reopen and now volume button increased the Echo volume incrementally as it should. Thanks!

Same problem happening to me, with Pixel 6, Echo Studio an Echo and two Echo dots.

What works for me is:

1. Play something on Spotify using an Alexa device.
  2. The volume should be the last used volume, but volume controls will mute (volume up) or set volume to max (volume down).
  3. Switch to a different device (even the phone itself).
  4. Go back to the desired device and it should work properly.

Hope they fix this soon! It's giving me (and my neighbours) a lot of jumpscares 

Having the same issue here - everything was working perfectly on my old S20 (up until this morning!) but when I tried with my new S22 it's either max or mute, only way for me to amend the volume is to mute it then in Spotify select the device and adjust volume that way. Really inconvenient - any updates on a fix? 

I have the exact same problem. Samsung S22 Ultra, up to date app, connected to my soundbar. Down volume button on mobile goes to max volume on app and speaker, up vol does the opposite. When just on the app its fine, but soon as it connects to the speaker the vol just goes to max.

When this first happened my baby niece was sleeping at night and scared everyone in the whole house! 😞

Suggested posts