Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Chromecast Audio Connection Dropping

Chromecast Audio Connection Dropping

Hi, I have Chrome cast audio connected to my receiver. When I cast music through Spotify on my phone (Samsung Galaxy s6), the music plays for about a minute before the connect drops. I haven't measured the time it takes to drop the connect, but it always seems to be about a minute. And this now always happens. How can I this be fixed?
31 Replies

Since yesterday I have exactly the same problem with Spotify on my Nexus 5X and Chromecast audio. I saw some support posts from last year where some people had the same problem and it was found to be a problem at Spotify's end which they fixed fairly quickly. Hopefully a similar fix can be actioned this time...

Is everyone having this issue also on CCA firmware 1.21.74816?

Yes, I've just updated to that firmware and still having the issue.

I started having this issue this weekend as well. Samsung Galaxy S7. I've never had issues streaming to Chromecast and now a song will play for about 45-60 seconds and then the connection to Chromecast drops and the song is paused on my phone. I tried restarting my Chromecast, and my phone, still happens every single time I try to play a song.

It has been very bad this past week; almost impossible to finish one song before the audio drops out (even though the Spotify app still shows connected to audio). Hope it gets sorted soon.

I know it is a Spotify problem and not a Chromecast Audio problem because:

1. It does not occur if I cast with other apps BBC Iplayer, RadioPlayer etc.. The connection is very stable and I can listen for hours.

2. I have tried all my devices (IPad, Android Phones) and the dropped connection occurs always with Spotify, and not other streaming services.

3. I have rebooted my Chromecast Audio, rebooted my Wireless Router etc. etc. but this hasn't solved the problem, and my Internet access and Spotify on headphones works perfectly well.

I have the same problem!
When is Spotify going to buffer songs?
I can play Netflix movies in 1080p without a single glitch, but can't play a complete song from Spotify without interruption? **bleep**???

I exerience this problem as well. Since a couple of weeks ago my Spotify suddenly started to lose connection to my CCA, and to manage to connect again I must close the app and start it again, and also sometimes I must go to the google home and stop the chromecast audio. It was better before, and my other apps works perfectly fine with CCA, so the problem is probably with spotify.

I don't mean to be snarky.  But really I was amazed at how problems playing Spotify were solved when I ditched Chromecast/Google Home and put in an Amazon Echo instead.

I want to run Spotify on my home, whole-house stereo, which I also use to play the radio or even cds and lps, anytime or all the time on any day.  Chromecast (now Google Home) isn't really meant to do that.  It wants to receive a "cast" signal from another device, and only for a certain time.  If you remove or close that device, Cast/Home goes into a weird kind of limbo state that may keep playing Spotify for a while but locks out control.  Even if you leave a dedicated device like a phone in place, it still times out and locks up.  I've had it crash like this several times a day, in the middle of a song.  The only solution is to close both Spotify and Home completely from the device and start over.

But the Echo isn't receiving a cast, it is casting itself.  It is always on.  It always appears in my list of Spotify devices.  I can always engage it from any device using Spotify Connect.  It doesn't turn off after a certain time.  And it doesn't crash.

Also, the Google Cast/Home crashes when I use my microwave.  Echo Dot doesn't do that.

Echo Dots do not coordinate.  So if you want to control you whole house system from a place where you can't speak to Alexa, you have to use an app on a phone or other device (Spotify, Alexa, and/or your stereo's app).  Or you can buy a Voice Remote for the Echo, which is apparently bluetooth but works over ridiculously long distance, basically my whole place.

In short, the Echo Dot works with Spotify and my home stereo like I thought Google Home would do but doesn't.  It costs about the same and it saves me a ton of headaches.  It makes Spotify really great in my home.

yes. Firmware is 1.21.74816, but within my casting group i also got receivers with 1.22.77272, and they drop simultaneously.

Ich have the same problem. The music pauses randomly for a few seconds. I hope there will be fix soon. The dropouts are very annoying.

I've started having this problem again for the past week now, can mirror sound to chromecast fine but if using connect sound drops out all the time

Same problem here with google pixel xl, it not even the connection drops but also the playlist is not on sync between the phone and what's really playing

Same problem Playing music to Chromecast or Chromecast Audio drops after 3-4 minutes. It shows as playing in spotify and the connected chromecasts are still showning green. Havve reinstalled and rebooted everything. Other media play fine to the chromecast and streaming music to a gramofon in another room works ok too. its just the darn Chromecast

Same problem here since a couple of weeks. All other apps work fine (Netflix, Soundcloud) but Spotify keeps on dropping after 30-45 seconds. It's really annoying I can't listen to Spotify via ChromeCast anymore. Please fix asap.

Same here, it started couple of months ago. I'm using iOS and Chromecast.

Apparently, someone found a solution. I haven't tried it yet but ; https://productforums.google.com/forum/?nomobile=true#!topic/chromecast/DnaxBXj8h_M;context-place=to...

How do you get in touch with spotify to get a test account set up ??? 

I continue having big problems listening to Spotify on Chromecast. I can't listen a complete song without being interrupted several times.

Is anybody from Spotify reading what we write here?

It's incredible a million dollar company can't solve this. Maybe they just hire html programmers that have no real idea how to code.

Does anybody know if there is any better quality streaming service than this? It really is a disaster, if I find something better I'll end my premium subscription immediately.

Experiencing this exact same issue. I can stream from browser and other apps just fine, Spotify is the only app that has audio dropping, often for minutes before picking back up again.

I suspect the issue lies with the way Spotify interacts with Google Home. Without a mobile phone Spotify can't even recognize the Chromecast, it needs Google Home as a middleman for it to work. That's just asking for a pletora of issues.  

Either way this is unacceptable and the onus is on Spotify to straighthen this out. Without being able to stream to my audio setup there's no point in remaining a premium member.  

EDIT: I played around with this some more. Now I'm REALLY sure it's the Google Home interaction.  

Here's what I did:

- I played a song from my phone to my chromecast 
- This caused the Spotify app on my pc to recognize the chromecast (it would otherwise not have found)

- I turned my phone OFF
- My pc was still able to find Chromecast 

- I played Spotify through my pc to the Chromecast

Sound played perfectly, no issues at all.   

- As SOON as I turned my phone back on, the sound started dropping again.

This is NOT a solution.  If I restart my pc again I won't be able to find Chromecast. I need my phone to stream Chromecast, then turn off my phone (and leave it off) to play it through the PC to stream it properly.  

It's the phone connection (Google Home) that Spotify can't deal with.  

Suggested posts